Military Shooting Experience!!

ward1539

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

sounds very unlikely you would be able to do it. but £40? or the retail of the ammo? provided you had full auto weapons.

I heard people can own pistols that are kept at shooting clubs. I can't confirm this however.

you're allowed to own firearms for defensive purposes in NI??

Yes

Not the general public though

Yes the general public. You have to have a reason for it. like CCW and prove you NEED it, also for sporting purposes is fine. I shoot with people monthly who own them for competitions. We have a Practical Pistol every 4th saturday and also service shoots.

(Edit: I would post pictures but the forum Is not letting me...)

prove you NEED it

How do you prove that you need a defensive weapon?? Either people have the right to defend them selves, in that case you're allowed.. or they do not. unless you have to be of certain race/religion/politics/background/area/profession where the threat is higher than for other?

Strange in any case, as I believe machetes are banned in NI?

Whether it is relevant or not, makes me think of a discussion however seat belt cutters are allowed to be kept in your car in England. The conclusion was as the blade is fixed, they are not - unless you can prove that you in advance knew that you where going to have an accident on that particular day (thou I do not think a police officer under normal circumstances would mind)

Whether it is relevant or not, makes me think of a discussion however seat belt cutters are allowed to be kept in your car in England. The conclusion was as the blade is fixed, they are not - unless you can prove that you in advance knew that you where going to have an accident on that particular day (thou I do not think a police officer under normal circumstances would mind)

What?

Under that logic all children with pencil sharpeners should be arrested, the Daily Mail could even write a story about a child knife crime epidemic!No, frankly if it's a self contained unit like that designed for a specific purpose no copper in the land would bother with it, even if they did I doubt the custody Sgt would authorize your detention. The CPS would laugh you out of the building.

If you were to however take the blade out of a pencil sharpener and use that as a weapon of carry it then yes, you probably would be arrested. ( I grew up in Bradford, I've seen it happen )

What?

Under that logic all children with pencil sharpeners should be arrested, the Daily Mail could even write a story about a child knife crime epidemic!No, frankly if it's a self contained unit like that designed for a specific purpose no copper in the land would bother with it, even if they did I doubt the custody Sgt would authorize your detention. The CPS would laugh you out of the building.

If you were to however take the blade out of a pencil sharpener and use that as a weapon of carry it then yes, you probably would be arrested. ( I grew up in Bradford, I've seen it happen )

High Five! for the thought police...

What?

I did not write the law and I do not agree with them*. but yes, technically they could be seen as illegal. quite frankly, because of the systems laws grow in this country, many of them do not take the consequences into consideration (as we see for example with airsoft, or that how harming other with or without their consent is illegal would technically affect piercing, tattooing or surgery). As a matter in fact, there's no law preventing us from carrying a locking knife, just a court ruling.

*I do however to my best abilities and knowledge try to follow them, as long as it can be done without harming myself or others.

**actually, going to school would probably cover as a legal reason for carrying a pencil sharpener. caring it just for the sake of it thou....... as a matter in fact the way the law is written you can be asked to have to justify just about anything you carry any item and any item (such as a one pound coin) is illegal to carry if the intended use is as a weapon.

• Supporters

**actually, going to school would probably cover as a legal reason for carrying a pencil sharpener. caring it just for the sake of it thou....... as a matter in fact the way the law is written you can be asked to have to justify just about anything you carry any item and any item (such as a one pound coin) is illegal to carry if the intended use is as a weapon.

But then in order to prosecute the courts would need to prove BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT that you intended to use the item as a weapon. Having a seatbelt cutter in your car, or carrying a pencil sharpener, I expect it'd be VERY difficult to prove.

But then in order to prosecute the courts would need to prove BEYOND ALL REASONABLE DOUBT that you intended to use the item as a weapon. Having a seatbelt cutter in your car, or carrying a pencil sharpener, I expect it'd be VERY difficult to prove.

yes and no. when it comes to seat belt cutter or pencil sharpener they could probably class it as a knife. Which means you be better of just letting them confiscate it (which is very unlikely they would do in the first place) and hope that there wont be any prosecution. if it was something that is not sharp thou like a heavy key bunch, a constable can confiscate it merely on his own suspicion. if he wanted to prosecute you for carrying a weapon thou, or if you wanted to protest it, it would go to court. There you'd probably be on the winning side unless you DID intend to use it as a weapon. Question is if it worth going to court over losing the possession in question.

~remember nothing I say is legal advise, you're all responsible for you're own actions. I am not.

No they can not confiscate an offensive weapon and let you go on your merry way.

This isn't primary school if the constable has grounds to suspect / believe your are in possesion of an offensive weapon then you should be arrested and it will be seized as evidence. If you give a lawful or good reason to be in possesion then they don't need to take any further action.

For information from the CPS website

The term 'offensive weapon' is defined as: "any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use".

There are some shooting ranges and things around the country so this isn't too far off what we are already doing. There aren't a lot of places to go shooting though, and most it seems are clubs / competition groups.

What's this about shooting a .50 cal in Yorkshire? I know I've seen a Barrett for sale somewhere but I didn't think you'd actually be able to buy one (without holding a section 5 permit - which are only available to firearms retailers though)

You may want to go sign the petition I've linked down there in my signature...needs all the support it can get!

I've never heard of a range either, the only one I know that allows that is Bisley. Unless it's one of the ranges near Catterick

After a little research, I've found a website for the FCSA UK (Fifty Calibre Shooters Association UK) and they run events on anti-tank ranges and 'Field Firing Areas' and are licensed to do these events in Warcopp (Cumbria), Sennybridge (Powys), Radnor (Powys), Lydd, Robin's Lodge (Thetford).

Most of these ranges can do up to 40mm shooting.

I don't think the .50cal rifles are section 5, the armour piercing and explosive .50 ammunition is

No they can not confiscate an offensive weapon and let you go on your merry way.

This isn't primary school if the constable has grounds to suspect / believe your are in possesion of an offensive weapon then you should be arrested and it will be seized as evidence. If you give a lawful or good reason to be in possesion then they don't need to take any further action.

For information from the CPS website

The term 'offensive weapon' is defined as: "any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use".

"can", "should" and "need" sadly have very different meanings. If you get stopped, have an item confiscated and "let go your marry way" - as have happened - I'd just play along.

Anyway, I am not here to win any arguments. This is my advise based on active participation in the knife community and the experiences I've had. You ofcourse need to make your mind up and act based upon your own sources, opinions and experiences.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.