Close thread

Teo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi.

Ok so my gun is getting fixed but I wanna go to a skirmish. Since I am 13, is it illegal for me to Marshall? Thanks

• Supporters

I dont think its illegal ... but usually most sites marshal's have a minimum about of games under their belt before they marshal, the sites I used to marshal at, all marshals had a minimum of 30 games under our belts and were classed as 'Professional Players'.

My advice would be to forget marshalling for a few years untill you have a lot of experience on your hands, Marshalling is hard work and requires a lot of maturity, common sense and concentration.. Something you can aquire simply playing the game a lot and gathering experience off older players.

I dont think its illegal ... but usually most sites marshal's have a minimum about of games under their belt before they marshal, the sites I used to marshal at, all marshals had a minimum of 30 games under our belts and were classed as 'Professional Players'.

My advice would be to forget marshalling for a few years untill you have a lot of experience on your hands, Marshalling is hard work and requires a lot of maturity, common sense and concentration.. Something you can aquire simply playing the game a lot and gathering experience off older players.

I have 5 years of experience on my hands. And the site owner is a good friend of mine aswell.

• Supporters

Not sure about legality, my local site has some younger marshalls 16-18ish with a few older staff. Personally I really don't like it (not enough to make a fuss but yeah), I don't think I'd be 100% happy in a medical emergency if the only nearby people were teenagers etc.

I'm against it, I'd prefer people who are a good few years older and more responsible.

I have 5 years of experience on my hands. And the site owner is a good friend of mine aswell.

Which site lets 8 year olds play? It doesn't really matter how long you've been playing or how well you know the owner, it's about whether people would be willing to put their trust in a young minor.

Say someone was knocked out or broke their leg, I don't think someone who is only just into their teens is anywhere near qualified to take control of the situation- regardless of how mature you are.

• Supporters

As you stated you was 13 in your first post, I would consider 13 years old to be too young to be a Marshal, how you act as a Marshal can dictate how a skirmish day plays out,. you say you have had airsoft experience from the age of 9 which though remarkable in itself, I personally think its too young to be a Marshal, given the nature of its role within a game.

• Supporters

Perhaps as a player marshal but not as a full time one. In Lieu of being condescending I think around 18 is the bare minimum sensible age for a Marshal.

It may or may not be legal, but there is a strong chance that a lot of players at your site will take issue with having such a young marshal.

Or run about with a camera. I'm sure they would love to have extra photos for their web site.

what i have taken from this so far is that, 13 minus 5 apparently equals 9, he would have been 8!

But in all seriousness. if you were marshaling my game it would give second thoughts about the site, its not a personal attack but like people have said, i wouldnt feel safe.

also with alot of older guys there they arent gonna want to take a ruleing from a kid.

if the site owner if a good friend then surely he can give you a rental for free or borrow someones gun. i like the idea of taking photos. i always wanted to do it but i never wanted to give up my play time.

• Supporters

I'll ignore the bad maths from myself, since it was around midnight I made that post with 4 bottles of cider consumed.

But again, forget Marshalling, really, not until you are at least 18 and with much more experience under you.

I didn't mean full time marshalling, I meant the odd day. I'd be the second Marshall since the site owner is the main Marshall.

• Supporters

It's irrelevant how long it would be for, I wouldn't want someone your age Marshall full stop- don't take it as a personal attack but its a big responsibility and with all due respect, your only just a teenager.

I don't think many people would respect your authority either.

most adults don't like a child who is telling them if the play right or not.

you can be 3th,12th or even 50th marshal still the don't take you serious if you tell something.

just became first 18 and than walk together with a aduld marshal for let say 12 events and than start marshalling.

you can learn how the adult marshal is solving problems. you don't think than anymore in Lego therms(it's a joke but as child you think others than adults)

so you learn the "job" and people have respect for you. as child the on't have.

and if you want to help site owner than walk around with camera. (i did a few skirms ago the same. was walking in camo so the hidden players stay hidden. only when "hitted" ik take my fuo-jacket and shout HIT CAMERAMEN so the know the hit me but i was not to be killed.

(also i spoke to the players in the beginning that i was walking in camo and i shout HIT CAMERAMAN when i'm hit)

From an insurance point of view I can see this being a big fat no. While you may (or may not) be a very mature and trust worthy person, you must realise that in the grand scheme of things you are still a child. Bring a Marshall isn't just about seeing whose cheating and who has hot guns.... It's about everyone's safety being in YOUR hands. If something goes wrong at the site (heated argument, fight, injury, etc) YOU are the person to deal with it! At the moment the law does not trust/allow you to drive a car, watch a horror movie or insert you knob between 'beef curtains'. That said can't see site insurers being too happy

I do appreciate you wanting to help though. Respect to anyone's who wants to give a bit back but marshaling is uneccesrily griefy. Get it wrong and you will become unpopular with all those friends you made at your local. Grab a camera and get at least one pic of every person on the site in action and in the Safezone then post to Facebook. That will be the hugest contribution you can make fella

I am not a fan of having young marshals and I have to work with lots.

I think you need a certain level of confidence and knowledge of how to handle people.

Example was a lad wiped out at my site last game and smacked his knee on a door frame. The young marshal called for a medic..........no one went to his aid as in game you call a medic after a bit to be respawned!!!! Took a min or so for me to realise we had an issue!

Also it can get heated during games and as a marshal you may need to get involved to calm things down or split people up.

In a perfect world min 18 years old and a regular player.

I am not a fan of having young marshals and I have to work with lots.

I think you need a certain level of confidence and knowledge of how to handle people.

Example was a lad wiped out at my site last game and smacked his knee on a door frame. The young marshal called for a medic..........no one went to his aid as in game you call a medic after a bit to be respawned!!!! Took a min or so for me to realise we had an issue!

Also it can get heated during games and as a marshal you may need to get involved to calm things down or split people up.

In a perfect world min 18 years old and a regular player.

Hehe my friend was being a VIP in a game and he fell and hurt his knee. I thought he was faking tpit so I called for a game medic. He had actually wrecked it though.

I think if someone wants to be a marshal; They should be experienced at the site, be able to be authorative when needed, know what's needed to be done in different situations and be able to give first aid if needed.

I think if someone wants to be a marshal; They should be experienced at the site, be able to be authorative when needed, know what's needed to be done in different situations and be able to give first aid if needed.

Archived