Ambidexterity?

Silverfox
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm one of the considerable percentage of people in the world who's struck with the occasionally infuriating disadvantage of being left-handed.

While it hasn't always been a huge hindrance in my airsofting - it's been useful sometimes - there are sometimes things that annoy me about it - and one of the ones that annoys me the most is sling points on rifles.

Currently, I'm lumbered with using a TM G36C. It's a pretty ambixdex gun for the most part. The fire selector is mirrored on both sides, and it's otherwise pretty usable for a leftie. However, the body sling point (and just the body one, not the front one!) is only molded on the left side of the receiver, which makes it hang to the right when you've got a single-point attached.

I've previously used an M4, which I purchased a sling adapter plate for, which made it easy to single-pint left handed, and it was delightful. Prior to that I had an MP5, which didn't have the same advantage.

My point is, that I'm planning to replace my G36 at some point, and I want to retain the comfort of having a left-handed sling. What RIF's do people recommend for ease and convenience of use if you're left-handed? What has 'swappable' sling points, or other features, for example?

I quite like the SIG-series of rifles, for example, but are they left-friendly for deviant human beings like myself?

I would just buy a sling mount for rail systems. Throw that on the top rail and then you can use it for all you RIFS which have a top rail.

Even something cheap like this would do the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Sling-Swivel-Hook-Mount-Attachment-For-20mm-Picatinny-Rail-for-Rifle-UK-/121107796976?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

• Supporters

I'm left handed and I use my m4 and m16 no problems even with the sling attached to the left side of the gun

Have you ever had your major eye tested ? It does not necessarily match your hand side, but does point to how you should fire your gun. For example I'm right handed, but my left eye is dominant, so when I used to do archery I had to do it left handed, and so I should really shoot that way as well (I'm actually ambidextrous shooting wise).

I know I'm not alone with this either as I've got a colleague in to airsoft and like me he's right handed but left eyed, so shoots 'left handed'. He's ex special forces as well so has served firing real steel left handed.

• Supporters

Have you ever had your major eye tested ? It does not necessarily match your hand side, but does point to how you should fire your gun. For example I'm right handed, but my left eye is dominant, so when I used to do archery I had to do it left handed, and so I should really shoot that way as well (I'm actually ambidextrous shooting wise).

I know I'm not alone with this either as I've got a colleague in to airsoft and like me he's right handed but left eyed, so shoots 'left handed'. He's ex special forces as well so has served firing real steel left handed.

I'm left handed but I've always favoured my right hand for rifles, but my left for pistols - not sure why it just feels the most comfortable.

Out of interest how would you go about testing this?

• Supporters

Simply book an eye test at the opticians and they can test each eye separately and tell you which is dominant

I'm left handed but I've always favoured my right hand for rifles, but my left for pistols - not sure why it just feels the most comfortable.

Out of interest how would you go about testing this?

Try this

http://www.diyphotography.net/a-neat-trick-to-determine-your-dominant-eye/

fairly easy to move the sling point in an aug from one side to the other. whilst i favour my right hand i constantly shift gun arms to help with going round corners. whilst i have no problems doing this with my m4, i struggled doing it with a tommy as i would always catch the mag release with my left hand and drop the mag....

• Supporters

Glad I'm not the only right handed, left eye dominate type. I shoot rifles left handed and pistols right handed!

As above, there are many options for slinging and modding M4s but in all honesty, apart from a Magpul asap sling plate I leave my M4 as it is. I also tend to use a Chalker sling rather than a standard one point, but I have used it with Magpul MS2 slings easily enough :)

As to your question on the SIG, you'll have the same issue as the G36. The receiver has a sling point on the left side of the gun just like the G36 to make it easy to sling for a righty despite all the controls being ambi. When I had one I made a sling point by wrapping webbing or paracord round the narrowest part of the stock and slinging it from there. But the sling point Lozart linked to will work well too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PT247

The G&G LR300 Sport Rifle actually sets up for a left handed sling better than a right handed one.

I am also a lefty, but after 12yrs in the forces have been conditioned to shoot right handed with the SA80, my right eye is also my dominant one too.

I can shoot just as well left handed tho so transitioning between left and right side barricades and switching sides of trees to shoot from is a piece of pee for me, embrace the lefty, it'll give you an edge.

• Supporters

Actually yeah, I can shoot accurately left handed, even though I'm right eye dominant. That said, until i was in a pretty hectic car accident i was relatively ambidextrous. I always wrote right handed, but even though school & parents tried to beat it out of me, I would eat whichever way I happened to pick up the cutlery and draw/paint with either hand.

I think what stops me from shooting lefty more often is using a sling. Unless it's a 3-point, it has to come off and/or over my head and that is hassle. I mean even unhitching a 3-point isn't entirely hassle free... I spose it's not too much though and there is definitely a tactical advantage to being able to pop out from either side of cover and get accurate snap shots in. Stops people being able to suppress you easily.

Archived