Importing RIFS- help needed to settle an argument

ronnyjodes
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The other night, over a few rum and cokes, me and a mate were discussing me possibly wanting to import a RIF from either TG or Gunfire. I'm a regular player but due to things such as the wife, mortgage and my kids insisting on eating on an almost daily basis I haven't got the funds to be playing weekly so I've only managed 3 games in the last 6 months. Because of this I've never thought it worthwhile getting site membership or getting on the UKARA database but I still feel I've got a suitable defence. My pal is insistant that there's no way on Earth I'll be able to import a RIF without site membership. I'm willing to accept it might be more difficult and will probably lead to it getting held up at customs but surely they'd be willing to speak with the site I play at to check I'm a legitimate player?

Has anybody in a similar situation tried importing and if so what happened? If anybody else has any input I'm happy to hear it. I've no problems buying from this country or even the site shop where I play but I can't help be tempted by how cheap those two sites are, I'd just like to make sure I'm not going to be faced with a ton of problems if I do.........

Theoretically the only legal defence you need is that you're importing the RIF for the purpose of using it to play airsoft at a site with third party liability insurance. But then there's a big difference between what the law says, what the legal officials think it says and, most importantly here, how they apply it.

Your biggest problem would be providing some evidence of your defence. If it was stopped at customs and they contacted you how exactly would you prove your defence to their satisfaction?

Very Optimistic.

Its for you to provide them with a reason why they shouldn't confiscate and destroy it.

I'm willing to accept it might be more difficult and will probably lead to it getting held up at customs but surely they'd be willing to speak with the site I play at to check I'm a legitimate player?

• Supporters

speaking as a person who has a gun held at the mercy of customs at the moment... I wouldn't chance anything with those clowns, I've sent them my site membership number twice now, as well as the invoice for the gun and the contact details of the person who runs my site, they've had the gun since Jan 31st and are showing no signs of it being released any time soon.

UKBF do not seem to regard anything other than a valid UKARA registration as sufficient evidence of entitlement to import a RIF, so even a site membership card probably won't work with them if not also registered with UKARA, however much you badger them. The safest way is to always get the UKARA number added prominently to the outside of the parcel by the oversea retailer, as that "should" speed things through the system, other than then getting the bill from the carrier for VAT and charges on top of your purchase price. However, importing from the EU should mean that you don't get caught from those charges, but you will pay a higher initial price compared to Hong Kong.

well i resent the hate to ukbf as my bro works for them and i have talked to him about this point before. we all know that a defence is easy to prove to another airsofter but proving it to an official who has never heard of airsoft or has very little knowledge of it is difficult. the boarder force say that any valid defence is acceptable.

giving someone a site number isnt proof. they have to contact that site, who might not answer the phone or might not have the membership details to hand, also they have to check that the person and site are real and registered. i think a toy comes low on there priority list of things to check on, you know with the whole real guns, drugs and bombs etc.

But back to the point UKBF guidelines state that to IMPORT a RIF you must provide the same defence as with buying one.

speaking as a person who has a gun held at the mercy of customs at the moment... I wouldn't chance anything with those clowns, I've sent them my site membership number twice now, as well as the invoice for the gun and the contact details of the person who runs my site, they've had the gun since Jan 31st and are showing no signs of it being released any time soon.

This pretty much has made my mind up not to do it. The fact you've found yourself in a shit siuation like that with a valid site membership makes me think it's really not worth the risk. Where were you importing from if I don't mind asking? Was it outside the EU?

Cheers for the replies everybody, I think I'm going to have to concede defeat on this one next time I see my mate..............

Don't concede defeat ronny!

Technically you're right, because (if you play airsoft) you do have a defence. But your friend is also right if his point was that it will be a load of hassle, perhaps impossoble, to get things imported without UKARA registration.

See, in my version everybody is right! :)

Archived