Belts vs Plate carriers

MealZ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, what do you prefer, Belts or plate carriers, or maybe both. I personally use a belt.

Pics are welcome too. ^.^

BELT Pro's:

-Lightweight

-Cheap

-Can fit most people

-Easy to run and move around in

-allows user to more easily store a slinged weapon across their backs

BELT Con's

-Allows bb's to hit user's body easier. (hurts more when bb's hit)

-Can make hips hurt if too tight

Plate Carrier Pro's:

-Cover's chest from bb hits

-Holds alot of gear

-Easy to get things out of

-Comfortable

Plate Carrier Con's:

-Can be expensive

-Can sometimes be difficult to run in if not tight enough

• Supporters

Small plate carrier and belt for me. Light, holds everything I need and if you go for the right stuff, relatively cheap for what you get.

In woodland I would most likely go with just a belt but I' doing a lot of CQB right now so prefer to have everything in reachable places.

• Supporters

I used to use a belt all the time but found with all my bits a pieces on it it kept coming loose and falling down.

I purchased a chest rig and absolutely love it, i have everything on my including hyro pouch and dump pouch and i have fed the sling through the shoulder straps so it distributes the weight of my gun more.

I'm interested to hear what people have on their rigs though as i feel i have loads on me?

I would add/change your pros and cons slightly..

My alterations are in red..

So, what do you prefer, Belts or plate carriers, or maybe both. I personally use a belt.

Pics are welcome too. ^.^

BELT Pro's:

-Lightweight

-Cheap

-Can fit most people

-Easy to run and move around in

-allows user to more easily store a slinged weapon across their backs

-large carrying capacity

-ability to carry rucksack easily

-easy position to reach for reloads

-can go prone easily and effectively

BELT Con's

-Allows bb's to hit user's body easier. (hurts more when bb's hit)

-Can make hips hurt if too tight incorrectly fitted

-difficulties in urban or tight areas - wider profile, not good for CQB

-can bounce a lot during movement if not correctly fitted/overloaded

-not really designed for high speed, low drag (see two up)

Plate Carrier Pro's:

-Cover's chest from bb hits

-Holds alot of gear Normally less than a belt rig can

-Easy to get things out of - only while standing or prone

-Comfortable - if correctly sized and fitted

-more variety of mounting options

-can be quicker with low drag

Plate Carrier Con's:

-Can be expensive

-Can sometimes be difficult to run in if not tight enough

-Prone is very difficult

-overheat in hotter months

-can fit very large

-large carrying capacity ratio reduction for smaller rigs

-can only use small cargo packs easily

Personally it depends on what I'm doing.

Lightweight just a M83 chest rig

Medium M83 chest rig and battle belt

Heavy M83 battle jacket

Very Heavy M83 chest rig with M83 bergan

Although I would like some Patt 70 webbing so I have have a stand alone belt rig

The thing you have to remember that the main advantage of a plate carrier over webbing is that it stops bullets. This is not as much of a concern in airsoft.

For pure woodland I would recommend some kind of belt or belt chest rig combo and for urban I'd go plate carrier or chest rig

Also I often see a lot of people seem to have their belts really low down, almost t trouser height which (unless you have a pc or chest rig on top) is incorrect. They need to be higher up around your actual hip :)

I have a Bulle Recon Chest Rig and Viper Belt Platform that I use with it occasionally. Personally the disadvantages of belt systems is that you can only have up to about four (single) magazine pouches on each side. This is because I don't like the fact you have to reach round a lot to grab things out - I like having my mags all on the left for quicker and easier reloads.

Also if you're using both pouches on the belt system are going to obstruct the pouches on your PC / rig and vice versa. For example if you have a belt mounted holster on your right side a utility pouch on your rig is going to get in the way of it.

A lot of it is personal taste and what you're used to

Personally the disadvantages of belt systems is that you can only have up to about four (single) magazine pouches on each side. This is because I don't like the fact you have to reach round a lot to grab things out - I like having my mags all on the left for quicker and easier reloads.

I can have 6 mags comfortably (even stretch to eight if I need to, see my signature) on my left side of my belt. I never put primary mags on the right side of a belt. There's no point as the reload is too slow.

Its also far easier to double stack mags on a belt than it is on a plate carrier.

Also I guarantee reloads while prone with a plate carrier will be slower but then again while standing probably faster so again its dependent on where and how you're playing.

Also if you're using both pouches on the belt system are going to obstruct the pouches on your PC / rig and vice versa. For example if you have a belt mounted holster on your right side a utility pouch on your rig is going to get in the way of it.

One would assume you'd arrange your pouches so that wouldn't happen :)

One would assume you'd arrange your pouches so that wouldn't happen :)

Oh yeah I do :) I mean it could be a potential problem if you want both pouches and don't have any more room or something.

At least you might have to take time prioritising and re-organising gear trying to accommodate different pouches and things so that it doesn't happen.

• Supporters

If your chest rig is getting in the way of getting to stuff on your belt, I would suggest you're either wearing your belt too high or (more likely) wearing your rig too low. Just for example, the WAS DCS is actually designed to be used in conjunction with their PLB or Frag belt. The belt sits on your hips and the rig stops high enough to maintain mobility and belt access. Personally, I've never had an issue.

I tried a belt rig (WAS PLB) and just didn't like where the mags were. I found them too off centre for me.

Now got a WAS RICAS & everything sits exactly perfect for me.

I think everyones rig is a personal choice.

Archived