KWA RM4 vs Tokyo Marui

EvilMonkee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am considering buying the KWA RM4 as my next gun and like all the features and am not that bothered about the lack of cycling bolt as some people are, what are the opinions on it vs a TM recoil?

TM recoils are generally regarded as more reliable. They Nextgen gearboxes are stronger in design and more built for recoil engines. The new design hop up units are also great. The downside is proprietary parts which can be expensive to get as you have to order from Japan,they also dd not like high ROF or powerful springs. However they work with any voltage battery and still work crisply. Some parts are silly though,like a pot metal sector gear contacting with a stainless bevel and spur. Mags are also proprietary and expensive.

KWA RM4 is still new,not many reports of failures but I'd be wary. Gearbox is a modified V2,not as strong as the TM ones but still very strong. Recoil is harder,FPS is higher but I have concern for reliability,KWA recently have had pretty bad quality issues. If you look on some of their gearboxes you can see uneven and discolored casting swirls in the zinc. Some parts like the unported aluminium piston head & silly shimless gear system. It also requires an 11.1v lipo to funtion properly,and trigger response is still generally 'meh' I hear,but that's nothing a MOSFET and some tuning can fix.

I'd personally go with TM,less dumb decisions made in the internals,has a better hop up unit,but KWA should still be solid and rather reliable,I just chose TM since it's the 'safer' option long term.

• Supporters

I own two TM recoils so obviously I have a slight biased towards them but even so it would still be my choice were I to buy again.

The KWA has more recoil than the TM but the TM has a better sound due to the bolt cover, the KWA is still a bit 'sewing machiny' in its sound when firing.

KWA are cheaper to buy (not £150 though, more like £50) which is definitely a benefit but don't have any real after market support whereas the TM has a substantial amount of spares and upgrades available relatively easily. Mag capacity is lower on the KWA, you have 60rds max vs 120 on the tm with pmags though of course that's a matter of preference for you.

The TM will likely last longer too and is a proven system, they've been around for over 5 years as opposed to the KWA which is just out and they've already had a few issues I believe where they've been put together wrongly at the factory.- The TM would be my choice for both that and the support for them in the UK, the KWAs took a good 5 months or so to even get here so spares and stuff wont be the easiest to get hold of either.

That said you cant go far wrong with either.

Cheapest TM recoil (either 416 or SCAR or M4 varient) I can find that I can buy today is circa £480. Land Warrior are doing the RM4 for £350. Certainly a bit more than £50! I think the aftermarket support is the only thing to swing me TM way atm.

• Supporters

Cheapest TM recoil (either 416 or SCAR or M4 varient) I can find that I can buy today is circa £480. Land Warrior are doing the RM4 for £350. Certainly a bit more than £50! I think the aftermarket support is the only thing to swing me TM way atm.

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-recoil-m4a1-socom-airsoft-gun-ebb-aeg

£40 more

But with Magpul furniture which looks nicer than the TM one. I am just picky :)

• Supporters

Best off buying the marui m4a1 and swapping externals to what you want. You get the battery up front which is better than the connection in the stock, its cheaper and you won't be paying for any bits you might not want.

If you buy the TM recoils from Echigoya in Japan you will save heaps of money even if you get shafted on shipping.

do fill me in on this one?

I'm not going to go on a rant about how they are not near 11.1v lipo ready even though they are advertised as that.

Instead look at this freshalicious casting on the gearbox. The uneven swirls show the low quality of the zinc alloy used,this is something you often see on ACMs not a high end gun like KWA.

Apparently,there are also a fair amount of failure reports on the 9mm bearings on post 2011 models,though I cannot personally confirm this.

This is a bit of an old video but shows some issues.

img1106id.jpg

Bolt is probs the worst of the three. Not terrible by any means,I'd like to say that all 3 of the main choices have some pretty stupid decisions made internal wise.

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/211644-bolt-m4a1-internals/

never heard of bolt.. is it a jbbg type gun?

If you buy the TM recoils from Echigoya in Japan you will save heaps of money even if you get shafted on shipping.

I'm not going to go on a rant about how they are not near 11.1v lipo ready even though they are advertised as that.

Instead look at this freshalicious casting on the gearbox. The uneven swirls show the low quality of the zinc alloy used,this is something you often see on ACMs not a high end gun like KWA.

Apparently,there are also a fair amount of failure reports on the 9mm bearings on post 2011 models,though I cannot personally confirm this.

This is a bit of an old video but shows some issues.

*youtube*

*pic*

Aha, so nothing I have to worry about with their gas PTP/PTR then?

good thou know thou, I always been thinking "surely the makers of ptp must make very decent aegs as well"

never heard of bolt.. is it a jbbg type gun?

Aha, so nothing I have to worry about with their gas PTP/PTR then?

good thou know thou, I always been thinking "surely the makers of ptp must make very decent aegs as well"

Most KWA gas guns are fine,it's just a few gas models that are unreliable and reek of cost cutting like the M93R,the M1911s and the older P226. KWA PTRs are fine,but fall a little bit short to the KJW/TK M4 an possibly the GHK m4 if that inherits any of the awesomeness from previous GHK releases.

• Supporters

In fairness is say the kwa ptr is better than the kjw one that isn't nearly realistic, has no recoil, horrible mags and receiver strength issues with no real replacement. The kjw is reliable but not much else, the ghk could be good though but from what I've seen so far nothing game changing.

Archived