Specter DR Sight.

Maff-7777
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I've just been reading the lastes issue of AI and they have an article on sights. In it they talk about Specter DR sight (not heard of them before as I'm still relatively new to airsoft).

I'm liking the idea of going from conventional x1 red dot to x4 scope witht he pull of a lever.

I've had a quick goggle and they don't seem that common.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model and/or site where to get one?

Does anyone have real hands on experiecne with them?

m.

• Supporters

Been doing a bit of reading about them myself actually! Cheapest place I've found so far by the way is RSOV.com (used them quite a bit now and they are ACE).

They're not as common in "real life" because a) they're heavy b)they're expensive and c) people don't seem to like the ARMS mount that they come with. ACOG style sights are much more common for those exact reasons. That said, people that have them seem to love them. Airsoft wise, they usually have more eye relief than an ACOG so that's handy but again, they ARE heavier and more expensive (by about 50% on average). As a result not so many people make them. A lot of them also don't have the "correct" ballistic reticle - they use an illuminated "T" shape instead which while it's probably fine on a support gun probably won't be much help on a rifle.

As the cheesy one said though, quite often magnified optics on a standard AEG are a bit of a waste of time. Only really worth it if you can actually shoot farther than you can see!

• Supporters

^implying "real life" acogs are not overpriced?

think airsoft pro supplies used to do them atleast. far from cheap thou

Not implying that at all, just that an actual Elcan SpectreDR is usually about $1000 more than an illuminted Trijicon ACOG.

If on the other hand you're suggesting that a real steel ACOG is overpriced in comparison with an airsoft one, then you really haven't looked at the differences! A real one is a MUCH higher quality device!

• Supporters

I bought myself one of the locked 4x sights with the dot sight on top. Honestly, I'm glad I went for that option over the 1-4x lever pull.

You can swap between the two sights easily, just by lifting or lowering your head 2 inches, means you can swap the sight you're using whilst actually firing the rifle.

I stuck mine on my UMP, to get around the extra weight I simply removed the rails I wasn't using on the front of the rifle.

Mines the WE (phantom) version, can recommend it very highly. Same for the G&G ones I've seen

• Supporters

I bought myself one of the locked 4x sights with the dot sight on top. Honestly, I'm glad I went for that option over the 1-4x lever pull.

You can swap between the two sights easily, just by lifting or lowering your head 2 inches, means you can swap the sight you're using whilst actually firing the rifle.

I stuck mine on my UMP, to get around the extra weight I simply removed the rails I wasn't using on the front of the rifle.

Mines the WE (phantom) version, can recommend it very highly. Same for the G&G ones I've seen

I've done the exact same thing, got the WE phantom version and I'm very happy with it.

I know I said that magnified optics aren't very useful in airsoft (they're not), but I may occasionally use the magnified scope for spotting/target recognition before I switch up to the more useful docter on top!

Not implying that at all, just that an actual Elcan SpectreDR is usually about $1000 more than an illuminted Trijicon ACOG.

If on the other hand you're suggesting that a real steel ACOG is overpriced in comparison with an airsoft one, then you really haven't looked at the differences! A real one is a MUCH higher quality device!

I am suggesting the "real steel" acog is overpriced in comparison with it "real steel" competitors. there's no shortage on good optics out there.

• Supporters

I am suggesting the "real steel" acog is overpriced in comparison with it "real steel" competitors. there's no shortage on good optics out there.

I know what you're saying, but when you build to a military spec it pushes the price up. Some of the Trijicon ones that AREN'T military approved are cheaper. All depends on illumination, reticle type, NSN or not etc etc. Plenty of folks use all those other sights and I'm sure they do just as well, but people like ACOGs because that's what they see Marines using on TV!

ACM, Phantom or G&G. Prices range from £125 - £185.

This is a review link for one of them

ACM Specter DR Optic- Review

This is the real thing from US Defence Contractor Raytheon

http://www.elcansightingsystems.com/Main/pdf/SpecterDR1.5x6.pdf

In terms of Airsoft Chinese clones, they are expensive (to me any sight over £50-90 for Airsoft has limited benefit) and they are large.

I use a magnification sight on all my weapons, the only exception being the CQB stuff where I use a x1 red dot. The magnification is useful for spotting and making sure my target takes their hit. I normally use a fixed x4 magnification and probably have most of the common types including ELCAN, EoTech with a separate magnifier, ACOG and a Walther 2x42 red dot.

So I've just been reading the lastes issue of AI and they have an article on sights. In it they talk about Specter DR sight (not heard of them before as I'm still relatively new to airsoft).

I'm liking the idea of going from conventional x1 red dot to x4 scope witht he pull of a lever.

I've had a quick goggle and they don't seem that common.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model and/or site where to get one?

Does anyone have real hands on experiecne with them?

m.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the G&G elcan specterDR on my M4 right now

Its a really nice scope and looks the SHIZ on an M4. But as the guys have touched upon it is fairly expensive and heavy. I bought it from tactical gear trade when it was on sale. Worked out about £90 shipped

Here's a pic of my rifle so you can see

20140225_160658.jpg

How do you find the KX3 pig on your gun?

Is it noticeably louder than without ?

I've got the G&G elcan specterDR on my M4 right now

Its a really nice scope and looks the SHIZ on an M4. But as the guys have touched upon it is fairly expensive and heavy. I bought it from tactical gear trade when it was on sale. Worked out about £90 shipped

Here's a pic of my rifle so you can see

20140225_160658.jpg

Yes it will do because it works like a megaphone. Ive got a black one like you have, on my SCAR, but I also have a spare limited edition silver one that Im trying to sell.

Archived