Combat Knives

Maff-7777
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So cutting a long story short I know film prop company that are intrested in potential developing a range of realistic 'safe' combat knives made from rubber. Perfect for airsoft.

I know a lot of modern military knives are black but there are plenty of models that have metallic blades, etc. And of course there are more historic combat knives.

They would be hand painted and very real looking.

Do people think this is something players would be interested in?

And if so what knives would people like to see?

m.

they are readily available. got a kabar myself, rubber blade that bends when you "poke" someone

if you can compete in price and offer same quality as the existing ones.. why not. dont think there be a big market thou as they already out there and most people knife-kill with their fingers anyway.

M9%20Plastic%20Knife%20for%20Training%20

I think if you could provide a range of good quality bayonets they could make a good amount.

I know that there's a large amount of people who would be willing to pay a good price for SA80 and AK bayonets, I personally would pay about £20 for a high quality M16 bayonet (maybe £30 for something exceptional).

If they also consider multiple scabbards like belt mounted as well as Molle mounted.

Personally I'd love a copy of a Becker Tac-Tool.

I think if you could provide a range of good quality bayonets they could make a good amount.

I know that there's a large amount of people who would be willing to pay a good price for SA80 and AK bayonets, I personally would pay about £20 for a high quality M16 bayonet (maybe £30 for something exceptional).

If they also consider multiple scabbards like belt mounted as well as Molle mounted.

Personally I'd love a copy of a Becker Tac-Tool.

quite sure there is m16 bayonets for around £20.. ak ones, maybe.. plenty of aks out there. then again, there's plenty of ar style airsofts but I dont see most of the getting bayonets. I suppose most people with sa80 also spend a ton of money on their kit, so maybe. not a lot of them out there compare to ar/ak thou.

I'm talking more realistic looking.

So the blade looks metalic, wooden handles, etc

what would the retail price on such item be?

Personally I have hard to see how you could make any money from it, but give it a shot if you believe in it

At the moment, you can buy a relatively realistic China special with a floppy blade for very little or a Cold Steel rigid knife from Taiwan.

The latter make great training knives but have a wide blade so you cant injure anybody.

It would depend on how much their high quality knife is going to cost. I cant see your average skirmisher being prepared to pay much. Also you have to address how to make a knife look real but be harmless.

Probably the geardos and re-enactors would be prepared to pay more for a quality product but its small numbers in a manufacturing sense. Bespoke hand mades of different designs sound expensive.

Bayonets and fittings is a market and so are knives with a reasonably priced scabbard or sheath.

At the moment its either ill fitting crap or real steel luxury stuff which is mega expensive.

I use Cold Steel but they don't make sheaths for their knives, so I have sorted my own. I also have a real Gerber with divers leg sheath for it, obviously not for skirmishing.

So cutting a long story short I know film prop company that are intrested in potential developing a range of realistic 'safe' combat knives made from rubber. Perfect for airsoft.

I know a lot of modern military knives are black but there are plenty of models that have metallic blades, etc. And of course there are more historic combat knives.

They would be hand painted and very real looking.

Do people think this is something players would be interested in?

And if so what knives would people like to see?

m.

quite sure there is m16 bayonets for around £20.. ak ones, maybe.. plenty of aks out there. then again, there's plenty of ar style airsofts but I dont see most of the getting bayonets. I suppose most people with sa80 also spend a ton of money on their kit, so maybe. not a lot of them out there compare to ar/ak thou.

what would the retail price on such item be?

Personally I have hard to see how you could make any money from it, but give it a shot if you believe in it

It's a film prop company that are looking to exapnd into other areas. The quality is amazing!

I can't post images of their props on here sadly but you'd think they were the real thing.

They wouldn't be cheap as they are hand painted.

At the moment it's just an idea, they might do a few to test the waters as it were.

If/when I get one I'll post it up here so people can see.

could always sell em to live action roleplayers.

another thing one might want to be concerned about is however a "you'd think they were the real thing" would be allowed on all sites.

I dont quite get your point about the gerber, baz.. are you saying you're using its sheath for an airsoft knife? ..I used a "real" kabar sheath for my airsoft kabar at some point. didnt clip in but with the loop around it there was not risk of loosing it either

Will they have the scabbard? I'm currently looking for a WW2 British No4 Bayonet. I have found that I can get a rubber one but to get the scabbard for it I would have to get the real steel one. If they did bayonets, fairburn-sykes dagger, Kukri's etc with the scabbards I'm sure there would be a small market for them.

depend son build auality not just looks for me. i have a real steel knife that looks meh but is tough as, and the bayonett form the first post that looks soo much better, but the blade is too floppy and it feels cheap. get the right amount of both and id happily pay what i paid for both for something that has boths strenghts. and if doing such weapons yad be crazy not to do sheaths and accessories etc

Maybe a blade with softer rubber on the edge and stiffer rubber for the rest would be the way forward?

• Supporters

Maybe a blade with softer rubber on the edge and stiffer rubber for the rest would be the way forward?

Yeah, a PU handle & 'lolly stick' dipped into a mould for a latex blade and then dipped in something clear and stretchy* mixed with that powdered metal used for FIMO models.

There's a bloke on fb that has just started doing SLR bayonets for £30 - I want one. For £20 I would already have it. I'd also like AK-47 and AK-74 bayonets cheaper than the bloody Toy Soldier one. But yeah, for something which hardly, if ever, comes out of it's scabbard unless it's to lend to a marshal in the safe zone for demonstration during the safety brief, and for which there are perfectly usable cheap alternatives, as far as the living in hope that I may eventually get a knife kill goes, I can't see myself coughing up more than £20.

*Bathroom sealant.

Will they have the scabbard? I'm currently looking for a WW2 British No4 Bayonet. I have found that I can get a rubber one but to get the scabbard for it I would have to get the real steel one. If they did bayonets, fairburn-sykes dagger, Kukri's etc with the scabbards I'm sure there would be a small market for them.

No 4. http://www.shootnscoot.co.uk/no-4-spike

Fairburn-sykes http://www.shootnscoot.co.uk/commando-knife-rubber

Both fit in normal scabbards as far as I know Russe, I've seen a Kukri somewhere I'll dig it out for you.

• Supporters

Cold Steel do a khukri.

depend son build auality not just looks for me. i have a real steel knife that looks meh but is tough as, and the bayonett form the first post that looks soo much better, but the blade is too floppy and it feels cheap. get the right amount of both and id happily pay what i paid for both for something that has boths strenghts. and if doing such weapons yad be crazy not to do sheaths and accessories etc

floppy blade allows to more than just tap someone gently with it like I'd expect one to do with a hard blade -don't get me wrong, I don't recommend a full on face stab with either.

I know where to get rubber bayonets, it just annoys me that to get the scabbard for it I have to then buy the actual blade. If someone goes to the effort of creating a replica blade, why not the scabbard?

• Supporters

That is one good thing about the Toy Soldier AK bayonet - it has the scabbard with the wire cutter pin-thingy. But still, sixty odd sheets... bit steep!

Archived