how can i increase range but not FPS?

MrCheesman94
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

i have a Magpul M4 which shoots at 354+ fps on average but i would like to increase the range but not the FPS.

i have a miracle barrel ordered from USA and a SP140 spring but i would like to increase the range any idea's?

i'm thinking hop up.

If you are only getting 355 FPS on an SP140 spring there is something seriously wrong with your gun. You should be pushing 400 or more on an M120,with a 140 you should be getting nearly 500 or more. It's putting way too much stress on your gun,throw it out and put the stock one back in,and fix the air seal by securing the cylinder head to the cylinder with PTFE tape,Making sure your air nozzle is fine,and a new piston O ring(A no.14 O Ring works best)

For more effective range you want to squeeze out as much accuracy as possible. There's no point in reaching 80 meters but not being able to hit shit with it.

First off,correct your air seal as I said before,consistency is key for accuracy.

A new hop up unit is a good option. SHS,Lonex and Tokyo Marui are my favorites.

A new hop up rubber can be in order too. PDi W hold,Laylax/Prometheus purple,G&G green and Maple leaf are my favorites.

Correct air seal in the hop up by wrapping the end of the hop up rubber in PTFE tape.

A better barrel is also an option. Madbull are best for the 'bang for buck',they have the steel 6.03s coming out soon which should be nice for budget buyers. That said,try not to cheap out on barrels. Prometheus/Laylax and PDi are generally top choice,followed by KM head and a few other japanese outfits.

If you are only getting 355 FPS on an SP140 spring there is something seriously wrong with your gun.

I think what cheese meant is that he is waiting on a new spring he has bought but he would like to find out how he can increase his range too.

• Supporters

Miracle barrels are 6.06mm inner diameter.

They're widebores, by all accounts.

I'd love to try one though, I think the theory behind them is one of the only ones that makes sense.

How guns perform with certain parts can vary wildly from gun to gun though, even if they're the same model by the same manufacturer.

Buy a bunch of hop units and rubbers and experiment until you find the best results, that's pretty much the only way forward; trial and error and a system of elimination.

Additionally, if you aren't already doing so, try using heavier ammo, .25/.28/.30

It might sound counter intuitive, but if your hop can function well enough to give the heavier ammo the lift it requires to fly straight, you'll generally find that they fly further and more accurately than lighter ammo.

As a rule of thumb I never use anything less than .25s, unless the fps is under around 285.

• Supporters

i have a Magpul M4 which shoots at 354+ fps on average but i would like to increase the range but not the FPS.

i have a miracle barrel ordered from USA and a SP140 spring but i would like to increase the range any idea's?

i'm thinking hop up.

What range are you actually getting?

• Supporters

Surprised no one had suggested an R-hop or anything- worth looking into.

Ed not sure that 6.06 qualifies as a wide bore, more stand- just not particularly tight. An Orga magnus at 6.23, now that's a wide bore :lol:

• Supporters

I was going to mention R-Hop, but if I had issues installing it and I know most things airsoft, then someone asking for range advice is probably going to struggle more than I did lol.

After the effort it took when I tried to install one, all for nothing, I thought it best to just leave it out haha.

Also, I'd say standard barrels are widebores tbh, anything that can't be considered a tightbore = widebore, in my head at least.

So anything wider than 6.04.

• Supporters

I was going to mention R-Hop, but if I had issues installing it and I know most things airsoft, then someone asking for range advice is probably going to struggle more than I did lol.

After the effort it took when I tried to install one, all for nothing, I thought it best to just leave it out haha.

I thought yours went well lol that's why it surprised me that it hadn't come up :D Must've been someone else or something

The problem behind the Miracle barrel is that there are hardly any decent reviews for it! It's all swarmed by marketing bullshit by the yanks,who test the same barrel with different guns and hop set ups,making all results heavily biased and inconsistent.

It's concept seems to be adding more hop and stabilizing the BB,which is why they say use heavy weights,it just sound like the same effect of adding more hop, Though I would think the steel track would help stabilize the BB for more equal hop pressure. It's a sound concept but I think the track on the miracle barrel/ACE barrel is just not designed very well and execution on both was not great. I think with better machine work and materials,along with a more suitable material for the track and a better design,it could be very good.

Gungineer did a review of the Japanese made ACE Giken barrel which the TOT miracle barrel is cloned off,results are eh.

http://gungineer.matrix.jp/precision/prescision_tips/tokusyu_barrel/tokusyu_barrel.htm

According to some shop owners it was not very good,hardly on par with stock barrels according to the owner of Tactical Airsoft supply,who I believe said they were tested with G&G hop & rubbers,Came out worse than the stock ones apparently.Another reviewer on airsoftmechanics(I think) went on to say it was a little bit better than a stock barrel in a JG m4 but nowhere near good enough for the price.

Right now I'd just recommend staying with the tried and tested Prometheus & PDI barrels or even ORGA.

For hop up,Rhop & G hop are a little bit complicated for a first time upgrader,I'd just stay with Flat hop and traditional hop,once they've gotten more experienced with how thier guns are assembled and how hop up works,take the plunge.

Archived