Advice on changing M16 fixed rear stock

Sleighton
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys - Newbie here, just getting into airsofting myself and would like some advice on changing the stock on my M16a4.

Its a G&P M16A4 (http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/M16A4-AEG-G-P-GP627.html) which i have changed the handguard on to a magpul with rail system. (pictures below)

My next thought is to get the stock changed out to a crane stock that would house the battery in the same way the current stock is doing.

Can anyone help with advise of if any wiring amendments would need to be made and also any recommendations on a specific stock ?

TgZdOCI.jpg

0mkr3eS.jpg

As far as I know you shouldn't need to do any re-wiring but just need a battery that will fit in a crane stock. In that case you will want a nunchuck style battery. Try component-shop and get a 8.4 / 9.6V one with 1600mAh+ charge.

Alternatively you could get a LiPo crane stock battery which will increase ROF and response times. However, you may need a new charger for LiPo batteries.

You'll need a stock tube and you may as well get a nice Magpul ASAP plate while you're at it. You should be able to run your existing wiring through the stock tube, but you may have to remove the fuse depending on how much space you have.

As for "house the battery in the same way the current stock is doing." you're out of luck. A crane stock will need a new battery as described by MrB, the battery will need to be a nun chuck type as it's housed either side of the stock tube in the pods on the stock. Or you could get a battery bag/pouch that will strap to the side of a standard collapsible stock that will allow you to use your current battery http://ant-supplies.co.uk/Pages/RifleStockBatteryPouches.aspx

Another alternative is to go with a 7.4v lipo stock tube battery that will fit inside the stock tube (you'll need a new charger) then you can have any stock you like. Magpul CTR stocks look good ;-)

• Supporters

Am I the only person that likes a standard fixed stock on an M16 / M4?

I think that looks ace as it is

I think they look good on an M16, but really too hefty on an M4.

Don't get me wrong, i shall be keeping the fixed stock to put back on at a later date but as this is my only gun at the minute and I will be visiting a fair few CQB sites in addition to some outdoors stuff i need something that will do the job for both.

The M16 sort of fell in my lap otherwise i was looking at some M4's - i bought this for £130 from a friend, never been fired, brand new with 2 1700nimh x batteries, 2 high caps, 1 mid cap, £50 case and 3000 bb's for good measure, chinese import red dot - all brand new kit except the red dot.

He bought it on a whim before a broken ankle through football and a want for a different gun got the better of him. He said he was desperate for money to get the gun he wanted, i said thank you very much !!

Don't get me wrong, i shall be keeping the fixed stock to put back on at a later date but as this is my only gun at the minute and I will be visiting a fair few CQB sites in addition to some outdoors stuff i need something that will do the job for both.

The M16 sort of fell in my lap otherwise i was looking at some M4's - i bought this for £130 from a friend, never been fired, brand new with 2 1700nimh x batteries, 2 high caps, 1 mid cap, £50 case and 3000 bb's for good measure, chinese import red dot - all brand new kit except the red dot.

He bought it on a whim before a broken ankle through football and a want for a different gun got the better of him. He said he was desperate for money to get the gun he wanted, i said thank you very much !!

well welcome to the forums

M4's are kinda cool for people to mess with. M16's I think look cool either original or for building a DMR.

It may be worth wiring the gun for a battery in the handguard so that you can swap stocks easier if that's something you are likely to do?

If your looking for something more interesting, why not consider the magpul rifle stock, it'll look good with the moe handguard and it's slightly shorter so more maneuverable.

Plus it'll take only a little modification for it to fit larger type batteries, (someone on zeroin has done it).

There is as Russe11 points out a load of space in the front hand guard and it pops open with the Delta Ring real easy. Put the battery in there if you think you are able to run the wiring forward.

I rewired the M4 my son used when he decided he wanted a Magpul front end on it.

Archived