Carrying blanks for BFG's.

NickM

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've tried making a PEZ dispenser type of thing. The problem with it is in order for them to dispense you need a spring to push then up. I don't like the idea of having that pressure pushing on a row of primers. I like the look of hudsons tube but they will still rattle about when you use them.

I might try fix up something like a dispense but with the spring pulling down instead of pushing up.

• Supporters

I saw a guy have a smoke grenade go off in his trouser pockets in billericay a few weeks ago. It burnt a hole out of his trousers, hands and leg. I always keep pyro separated and in pouches away from my skin and so far I have kept my shotgun caps in their box so they are separated but its a bit of a concern of mine if one goes off many others could as well. I don't think its worth taking risk with pyro, safety first.

Yeah happened to a chap at the sandpit on sunday. Fortunately I spotted it as he was completely unaware and this was at a point where I could see a black smouldering circle on the cargo pocket. Looked like one set the one next to it off too and the next thing I knew there's smoke billowing out of what was his pocket.

All happened in the middle of a close firefight too and we were all getting rinsed up trying to help him, which didn't stop till I yelled cease fire. Made me think twice about putting smoke grenades in pockets as it was pretty savage to witness, let alone be the victim. I've struggled to get smokes out of pockets when i'm not bricking it because my clothes are on fire lol.

As my .209s are in a hard case that i've padded and tend to be in the outer pocket of a heavy duty backpack i'm not so concerned.

• Supporters

I use a little box which contained some fishing line accessories, with some PU foam to stop rattle, but it is fiddly - not at all gloves friendly. That's the problem with a lot of these solutions: there's no reason why reloading a .209 primer should require taking gloves off - the primer is large enough to feel even through Russian winter stylee mitts. But if you can't get just 1 out of their container, without spilling the rest, while wearing said mitts, the container is not fit for purpose.

I like Hudson's tube and with a weak spring inside it could be rattle free, but it would need a bigger cap on one end to work with gloves. It also doesn't have any way of stopping more than one dropping out at once. We are back to the Hero Shark thingy then, but smaller...

If you cut copper tube with one of those clamp-on-and-twist cutters it leaves the end circumference bent inwards - perhaps that effect could be exaggerated with a blunt cutter to create an inner flange (and if you must, gentlemen, go right ahead) which could be filed off on one side to leave space for the primer to slide out, but pressure from a spring inside the tube would keep them locked in place until slid sideways by hand. A token royalty please, but just get it done...

• Supporters

Just checked a 6mm/209 blank and the "copper" case is magnetic against an earth magnet

which might be handy to include perhaps in the final design helping to stop them rolling around

Dunno if the magnetic field would create other problems though

but if not used to hold them, perhaps magentic stick/stylus or something could be used to pick up or withdraw then from tube

spring tube thingy is what ya want - only down side if they are stacked in tube and one somehow might detonate = chain reaction

but suppose the spring loader with a rubber base once loaded would reduce rattle risk

side withdrawl is a very good idea, maybe oversleeve to cover hole

oversleeve could slide back or other hole in it to turn & align with tube hole etc....

if you get the idea great if you don't - don't worry about it

• Supporters

I think i get the sleeve idea, and yeah to protect the top primer from being accidentally pushed out, it's a plan - but i don't see how it would work with a hole because then you couldn't get your finger at the primer to push it from the other side - 2 holes, to allow a push from the flange-held side of the primer might work for bare fingers, but in gloves I doubt it. Maybe just a simple sleeve (a piece of the original tube with a longitudinal cut) which is pulled down the tube to cover the ready-to-dispense primer and pushed up the tube to reveal it...

• Supporters

A 9mm BFG blank has a rim 10.6mm (0.417") in diameter, but a Glock mag, for eg, double stacks cartridges and, because the blank is shorter than a round including a bullet, it may well be possible to stack them with the rims staggered forward and back. You would have to modify the gap between the mag's feed lips to get the blanks in/out and you couldn't get as many rounds in as the mag is designed to hold, plus all the tension would be at the back between each forward stacked rim and the cartridge cases above and below which it pressed against, so they wouldn't be very stable inside. Although a mag spring is pretty strong so the main issue would be whether the instability down the stack of blanks would make the top one present at an angle which would make it slip out from between the lips without being pushed from the rear - I believe this would indeed happen and I doubt that the obvious first solution, to modify the mag follower, could be made to work. Nonetheless I suspect that it may be possible to design feed lips which could cope with wonky angled blanks, but the problem then, due to making the mechanism tighter, would be that those cartridges stacked with their rims at the back would not easily slide forward out between the feed lips, since the rim would be caught against the rim of the cartridge below and the only solution to that is looseness, play in the mechanism...

In short then I'd like to see video of someone using a 9mm pistol mag to carry and dispense BFG blanks, but until i see it, i say bollocks.

• Supporters

Oh, hang on, I take it back...

IMG_0053_1.jpg

...as you can see, there is some wiggle room.

So if you did modify the mag's feed lips, you could get 9 or 10 blanks stacked so that each rim was forward of the one below it, utilising the difference in size between a blank and a complete round.

• Supporters

I've tried making a PEZ dispenser type of thing. The problem with it is in order for them to dispense you need a spring to push then up. I don't like the idea of having that pressure pushing on a row of primers. I like the look of hudsons tube but they will still rattle about when you use them.

I might try fix up something like a dispense but with the spring pulling down instead of pushing up.

How do you think magazines for real guns work? Springs pushing against bullets!

No, but steady pressure on a primer won't ever cause it to go off, it needs to be a hard, sharp impact.

You can crush primers in a vice and they'll just go flat.

really, Didn't know that.

• Supporters

The powder is just dust until a spark is applied

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.