project m4

dimente
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

The only external parts I'll be keeping is the reciever everything else will he upgraded or swapped

In that case I would say NOT an old TM M4 with the two piece hop.

I'm quite inexperienced, but your question is a bit vague to be honest...are you thinking of a custom DMR or CQC build or...?

If you're going to be in close quarters most of the time obviously you'd want a shorter barrel length and probably ≤7" handguard / RIS, then a high speed / fast response set up. DMR, go with a long M4 variant, tightbore barrel, better hop, cylinder etc, improved rubber for better air seal and stuff.

I guess if you will be upgrading the internals a lot just go for the best looking gun since you are going to replace stock parts anyway, chances are with a custom build you will be spending good money on the base rifle so it should be quality. Generally, you get what you pay for in airsoft.

• Supporters

If I was making a custom M4 to sell, my choices would be:

New

From taiwangun.com I would buy an aluminium receiver with a steel delta ring and LR300 stock

= £93.36 & Free Shipping

From UNCompany I would get an SHS gearbox and parts (use their Search engine / term = "SHS gearbox" & select SHS from manufacturer list): 13:1 gears, V2 GB spring set, V2 cutoff lever, Dupont polymer 14 steel teeth piston, anti-reversal latch.

SHS V2 Selector & Tappet Plates, Shims, Tappet Delayer Sector Gear Clip

= £115.50 + Shipping (UNCompany)

From places like get-reload.com, ebairsoft.com, airsoft-club.com, ehobbyasia.com, gunfire.pl, bullseyecountrysport.co.uk I would get:

SHS Stainless Steel V2 Spring Guide + M4 aluminium air nozzle

= £19.98 & Free Shipping (Bullseye Country Sport on eBay)

Element Type C Stainless Steel Cylinder, M105 Spring, Silent Cylinder Head & Piston Head for V2, H-Hop Nub

= £27.60 & Free Shipping (dualdealshop on eBay = get-reload)

ICS Turbo 3000 Motor, M4 Hop Chamber

= £60.00 + Shipping (fire-support)

Modify Ceramic 8mm GB Bearings, Silver Plated Low Resistance Wire, Hybrid 455mm TBB

= £55.04 + Shipping (airsoftworld)

Prometheus Purple Soft Hop Rubber

= approx £12.00 posted (eagle6)

G&P Eotech 551 with EOLAD Laser Replica

= approx £115.00 + Shipping (fire-support)

ACM:

3x Magnifier FTS mount = £35.00 posted

45° Back Up Sights = £17.33 posted

Troy Aluminium Modular Vertical Foregrip = approx £70.00 posted from USA inc. Customs

Lees Precision Engineering Piston Head O-Ring = approx £6 posted

eBay CT-2 Teflon Grease, Deans T-Plug Connectors =approx £5.50 posted

Turnigy Nano Tech 11.1V 1500mAh 25-50C 87X34x21mm LiPo x 2 = £22.56 posted (hobbyking)

BTC Chimera II V2 Trigger board MOSFET & Control Unit = approx £95 posted (Air Lab)

2nd Hand

Something like a Daniel Defence RAS, or Noveske, whatever decent rail system was going

Outer Barrel and Suppressor to suit RAS and cover longer inner barrel

Large Pistol Grip

No Front Sight Tower Needed/Wanted

• Supporters

^^Dunno mate. Not cheap, but considerably less expensive than most custom guns + it would be a fucking beast - woodland site FPS - excellent range and accuracy - slightly silly ROF but with the opportunity to turn it down electronically, but most impressive would be the trigger response - literally only a couple of milliseconds slower than a springer. I'm being semi-sociable right now, but i'll do a rough count up later for an estimate.

• Supporters

OK Moose, I've edited most of the prices in, but I didn't do much research, so there will almost certainly be cheaper suppliers for some bits... but I was pretty surprised at how much it's adding up to - not much if any cheaper than a lot of custom guns - and that's before even considering things like Daniel Defence RAS, outer barrel & suppressor, plus a pistol grip.

I maintain it would be the best M4 on the block however, especially with some custom diagonal slice through the RAS at the front :)

• Supporters

There is the ASCU gen 3 V2 but it isn't pre-cocking. For sure pre-cocking has a lot of detractors, but that Chimera Control Unit has a really good reputation for working properly, so that just leaves spring wear and tear for people to moan about. However whenever you fire it on full auto, or burst fire, it doesn't pre-cock afterwards so it's a simple matter to decompress the spring whenever you know you'll not be shooting for a while and I doubt that walking around with it compressed for time does it any more damage than shooting. Whatever, those gearbox components will not be damaged by being under tension and if the consequences of having BASR-like trigger response is having to replace the spring sooner, who cares eh?

The Burst Wizard King Kong purports to be able to pre-cock too, but from what I've read it is far from reliable which leads to double shots from semi-auto when it allows the motor to overrun the last sector gear tooth. I'm not one to take anyone's opinion at face value when it consists mainly of "it's Chinese and cheap so it must be crap" because there are plenty of examples where that just isn't true, but in this case I have used a BWKK myself and I was far from impressed by it.

If I were you I'd ask Air Lab when they're likely to get more Chimera II's and, if it's too long to wait, start looking for them abroad.

Edit: this foregrip cuts the above cost a chunk and I reckon it looks better than the Troy one :)

• Supporters

Apparently it is very good - the gen II has a great reputation and nobody whom i have read has said the III is worse. Yeah, those internals are for a medium-high rate of fire with medium power spring, so they'd be fine with any 11.1v LiPo and AB MOSFET - if you do go with an ASCU you can take the anti-reversal latch out because it always stops the motor with the spring uncompressed i think, or absorbs the current generated by the mnotor spinning backwards or something like that - anyway it makes for a quieter box.

You'll get very quick trigger response out of those internals anyway - just not blistering speed. You could lighten the piston by 'swiss cheesing' it = drilling some holes through the plastic - just no closer than 3mm to each other or any edges. That will give your motor less inertia to overcome when it starts to move. Those Turnigy Nano Tech batteries are totally the way forward for MOSFET's too 25C constant, but 50C burst so that's excellent for the initial power spike needed to get the motor moving.

I forget now, but can you tune the ROF using the ASCU III? Because tbh that set up will have a pretty silly ROF...

Thinking about it, V3 refers to the gearbox version. You need V2 for an M4.

Here you go.

Archived