what would you upgrade first on your gun?

armysurplusandtoys
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It's a sub machine gun so hop up maybe, longer barrel no. You don't want to take away the advantage of a short barrel for CQB. Whats the rate of fire like? Maybe make it faster with a better trigger response. Mosfet and 11.1 lipo? You will then want more mags :)

A torch is often handy.

• Supporters

I tend to do barrel first, gearboxes generally work to an acceptable standard out of the box, so that can stay as it is.

My mentality with doing the barrel first is that if the barrel were tighter, the hop would be more consistent by nature of the BB having less space to fit around it, so it'll increase the chance of the BBs meeting the rubber the same each time.

Based on the outcome of that I'd go hop rubber next, then probably look at better motors or batteries. Range accuracy and trigger response are my top 3 things.

I don't care about rof but it tends to be intrinsically linked to the trigger response.

But sometimes upgrades are just pointless. Like the G&G MP5 I bought as my first ever AEG. I had to sell it to a mate to pay of a debt but that has never been opened, ever and it'll hit a coke can at 20m every time and the range is good for about 45m, which is more than adaquate for a CQB gun.

The G&P M4 I had a while ago, and my G&G AK are both perfectly fine out of the box as well. The AK could do with some accuracy tweaks, but it's perfectly acceptable for how I use it.

I typically upgrade whatever parts are known to be low quality on a gun-EG,sear set on a VSR. Then I move onto the hop up and barrel,If they are acceptable OOTB I'd do a few mods to the hop up unit itself,shimming it,removing any casting marks if necessary,etc..

Then it would be air seal,if it isn't consistent enough for my taste.

Accuracy for me is key. I don't really care too much for range-as long as it's going to 60m I'm happy,I typically engage at lower distances anyway.

Trigger response is another big factor. I like a hard but snappy trigger pull,something akin to a GBB. This usually means jamming in stupid torque motors,Mosfet,high speed gears and using a 9.9v Life,haven't got the skill to do a hair trigger mod. And of course,coming to trigger response all the other mods such as angle of engagement,shimming,etc...

If a gun is up to my standards out of the box I'd leave it and upgrade as parts break.

My Sten needs nothing, the ROF is already insane (2-3 seconds to empty a 50rd mag). Accuracy is amazing and I couldn't add any exterior stuff if I wanted to (except a sling).

My MP5 I bought the torch grip before it arrived as I knew I would need a torch, I was considering a new hop rubber (no real upgrade hop unit available). Not much point now, I have the Sten for outdoors :D

edit: actually Shoot and Scoot do a silencer for the sten, might get that one day :)

• Supporters

Hop up is generally the first thing I would recommend upgrading on a gun.

Saying that though, if you buy a decent gun to begin with it won't need upgrading;

Kriss vector is a perfect example of that, leave it stock and it'll do everything you want and more (except shoot properly when it's really cold!)

Hop up is generally the first thing I would recommend upgrading on a gun.

Saying that though, if you buy a decent gun to begin with it won't need upgrading;

Kriss vector is a perfect example of that, leave it stock and it'll do everything you want and more (except shoot properly when it's really cold!)

i was using it at the asylum and it was cold between 0-5 i think .Using the ultra gas which i though would be a problem all that i could tell was i just did not have enough pressure for a whole mag so out of the 49 rounds it was usually around 45 :) was impressed really!

• Supporters

I'm a big fan of H-nubs, or divided bumps on the rubber. I don't think there is a gun which couldn't have its accuracy improved by either one of those upgrades. I've been looking at CNC steel nubs with a perfect BB shaped concavity all they way around, like a vase shape. I've been bitten by the deansfatwirelipomosfetitis carrying tetse fly too...

I have a G&G raider L, so Optics first, lazer(green just to upset people)with pressure pad activation, Torch with pressure pad activation, lipo and deans connector mod.

Archived