Decisions on a long range assault rifle!

strewthirwin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently bought a "sig 555" (i now know it is 552 but it was my first gun) from only BB guns, it was a cheap clone and died quickly. I am now on the lookout for a long range assault rifle ie. a G3 but am being confused by other forums please give advice!

Thanks

i have been looking at a jg g3 and some people say it is accurate and sturdy while others say it falls apart!

im thinking along the lines of a long ranged AEG so i can be going up front with some success ang stay back and still have success.

like a sniper assault rifle cross kinda thing perhaps.

sorry if im being too obscure

So basically you want a DMR? Or do you still want full auto?

So basically you want an AEG you like the look of, then you will want to upgrade it for additional accuracy. You might be better to look at a G&G combat machine so you have a good starting point, then add a red dot and possibly magnifier. Then decide if its accurate enough rather than doing any upgrades straight away.

Knew I'd seen one somewhere

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/SIG-552-BONEYARD-SIG552BY.html

its possible the charging handle on your sig552 may fit this one, then you would have a working 552.

If you really want a G3, there is no reason not to get a G3. G&G's combat machine range is however the best quality option within your price range.

If i was to get the g&g combat machine i would be dubious of upgrading as i have approximately 0% skill.

As to the G&G CM16 R8L it is more expensive than the combat machine and preferably i would have a cheaper gun

That is a G&G combat machine, just a different variant with a longer barrel, plus it comes with a sight.

Combat machine is the name of G&G's entry level range.

I think the barrel length will only slightly affect your range.. Even close quarters length guns perform nicely at longer ranges. Length isn't much of a factor in airsoft, at least that's what I've heard anyway.

Get a G3 if it's a gun you like, then upgrade it later if you want to. I also have no skill or experience with upgrading my guns which is pretty embarrassing considering I'm not exactly new to the sport you'd have thought I'd have learnt by now but I'm not confident enough to try it.

By the way like Teddy said they're all Combat Machines except that's the more marksman / longer range variant.

Looks like a good price to me but I don't know what the sight is worth, probably around £20.

Also, not to put you off the G3 but rather make you think.. You may like it and be in love with them, I was with M14's until I got my hands on one. The length and weight is a huge down factor, probably the reason we dont use full size battle rifles anymore. Makes them very cumbersome, and you have to think whether it worth lumping it around, as Mr B said range isn't that dependent on the length of your barrel.

We all start somewhere mate, my first gun was a combat machine, now after 2 years of airsofting I've went back and bought a second hand one to have as a back up because they're fautless for the price.

You won't need any upgrades for a long while, range is on par with most guns you'll find on site if not better!

• Supporters

Bit late to the party, but I had a mate who bought a JG G3 with a rail system on it, really nice looking gun, very light because of the plastic body, but the performance was nothing to write home about.

Range was on par with most stock guns but the accuracy was pretty shocking, even on auto you'd struggle to hit anything beyond 40m, and the worst thing about it was that the grip was screwed into plastic, so if you ever put a lot of strain or weight on it, you're going to strip the threads and your grip is going to fall off...

Pretty major issue.

Then because you screw the grip into plastic... Well, the plastic you screw it into is obviously the main body of the gun, so you end up needing an entire new receiver set for it.

I don't think it's worth it, especially considering a G&G M4 will cost you less and perform significantly better, as well as being more or less the same weight, more modular, easier to upgrade and also, crucially, smaller.

Ease of moving a gun around counts for a lot more than you'd think.

• Supporters

Ok im sure now the combat machine is the way to go. i have been going on about G3s since i saw one in the shop at biliricay airsoft(in case anyone was wondering)

Is Zero one Airsoft a good shop to buy from?

Yup, probably the best place to buy a Combat Machine from.

Best prices I've seen, and you can get a free skirmish voucher with it too.

• Supporters

Another thing to consider when you're starting out is how much are mags going to cost? If you stick with hicaps then you'll usually have just one with the gun and it's not that much of a stretch to buy another new at the same time and save yourself the P&P. Two hicaps will get you through any skirmish you're likely to get in as a noob. But at some point you may well get sick of winding them and the rattle they make, the remedy for which is to switch to midcaps and you may conceivably want to be carrying 6, 8, more even if you start going to all day events. So you may very well want to buy some 2nd hand...

...which is when how popular the gun is comes up - 2nd hand G3 mags are always quite a bit more expensive than M4, AK, or G36 and it's very rare to come across anyone selling Sig mags at all, unless as part of a package with the rifle.

Archived