Junior UKARA? WTF???

DX115FALCON

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've recently heard a lot of 16/17 Y.O players on site claiming that they will be able to buy RIFs because they are getting/ have a "Junior UKARA" membership. Can someone let me know if this is just someone making sh!t up, or if it is a legitimate thing.

*would attach photographic evidene, but can't, as I can't upload pictures from my mobile device*

Point them to this

(1)After section 24 of the 1968 Act insert—

“24A Supplying imitation firearms to minors

(1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm.

(2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2

• Supporters

Junior UKARA is a feed of shit, the LAW states that only a person over 18 can buy any type of imitation firearm, realistic or otherwise.

The only thing I can see this being is a juniors site membership scheme to allow someone's parents to buy a RIF for them, but I can't see all that many retailers going for it.

I think I remember something like this from a few years ago, it meant that the junior was on the UKARA register, and did pay for a rifle, but it is in fact owned by either the skirmish site or the retailer, allowing the person to use his gun on a skirmish day, but not taking it home.

If I remember correctly.

yeah, Essentially its more of an agreement between the site and the skirmisher. Its in no way UKARA related because legally no person under 18 may buy a RIF.

Although what I had done for me is I put a full deposit on my RIF at the site, it was then kept at the site for me to use. Essentially I was putting a deposit on the RIF in case I damaged it during a skirmish (wasn't rental because it was new). Once I got my UKARA the RIF became mine and I took it home.

At no point did I own the RIF or leave the site with it, but it did save me money on rental and in the end once getting the UKARA I got my RIF.

Point them to this

(1)After section 24 of the 1968 Act insert—

“24A Supplying imitation firearms to minors

(1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm.

(2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/part/2

My 15 year old son has a springer L85A1 two tone blue that was gifted to him, he uses it under my supervision(Fire arms instructor and reservist).

It is locked in my safe with My G&G raider could I be facing a problem with the law in letting him use this as I have also let him use MY G&G raider as well :wacko:

• Supporters

No, ownership is perfectly fine regardless of age, it's only ever the seller that gets in shit for anything... Well, unless you run about brandishing it in public like a nut job or something, but yeah.

No worries there.

Going back to the OP though, there are a few sites that will allow people to buy RIFs without UKARA, so long as they are left on site until the requirements are met, at which point they can take the RIF home with them.

My regular site operate the same scheme, but I don't know how it works with regard to the intended owner being under age. I can't imagine them holding onto it for anything upwards of 6 months.

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

In addition, does anyone know if you can play your 3 games before you are 18? Or if you have to be over 18 before the application process begins?

• Supporters

depends how well your site owner has read the fine print. Most haven't read it at all and are of the "3 games, 2 months, hulk smash" mindset.

UKARA is just putting your site membership number on the database, so playing one game is sufficient if your site owner thinks that he's willing to take you on as a member after that. My local have separate games for under 18s and they record attendance, a couple of those lads have turned 18 and got their membership immediately because the site owner KNOWS they've played enough to qualify and they'll continue to do so.

Now that I'm using a computer, Here's that conversation from earlier. Excuse my broken English.

*NAMES HAVE BEEN BLACKED OUT TO PRESERVE THE ANONYMITY OF THE TWO OF US*

post-7250-0-40024200-1389984414_thumb.png

• Supporters

It's tangible if someone rings the guy that owns your site and asks if you're a regular player. That's what counts.

The lad telling you that 'junior UKARA' rolls over is talking shit, probably shit he's been told himself. UKARA as we all know is a database of site membership numbers, you can't be put on that database until you're 18, them's the rules. UKARA as an organisation have NO policy for under 18s, junior UKARA has been invented by a site owner or retailer to fill a gap in people's understanding of the law.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Theres No such thing as Junior UKARA,

UK Law and Regulation Regarding Airsoft Guns

A short and hopefully helpful guide towards UK law regarding the sale of Airsoft products. This law only applies to you if the delivery address of the Airsoft gun is within the UK and Northern Ireland. For all EU and Non-EU sales, please enter NOT UK into the UKARA box.

Since October 2007 you can only buy a realistic imitation firearm (one that looks like a real gun) if you are at least 18 years old and meet one of the following conditions:

• You are a 'registered' airsofter with membership of an insured skirmish site. To be registered, you must attend a properly organised and insured airsoft site and play for at least three days over a period of no less than two months. Even if you attend and play the three days in your first week, UK Law requires that two months pass from the first day you attended before you can legally be registered.
  • You are a member of a properly insured historical re-enactment group or society.
  • You are a film, television or theatre production company.
  • You are (or are acting on behalf of) a museum
  • You are a Crown Servant in pursuance of your Crown duties

but The VCRA 2006 concerns itself with sale, manufacture and import ONLY.

Therefore the solution to this is :-

If you buy an imitation firearm and either gift it to someone else, or allow them to use it – regardless of their age – you are not contravening the Act. So, a parent can buy a two-tone airsoft gun and give it to their child to use or keep.

Hi All,

Theres No such thing as Junior UKARA,

UK Law and Regulation Regarding Airsoft Guns

A short and hopefully helpful guide towards UK law regarding the sale of Airsoft products. This law only applies to you if the delivery address of the Airsoft gun is within the UK and Northern Ireland. For all EU and Non-EU sales, please enter NOT UK into the UKARA box.

Since October 2007 you can only buy a realistic imitation firearm (one that looks like a real gun) if you are at least 18 years old and meet one of the following conditions:

• You are a 'registered' airsofter with membership of an insured skirmish site. To be registered, you must attend a properly organised and insured airsoft site and play for at least three days over a period of no less than two months. Even if you attend and play the three days in your first week, UK Law requires that two months pass from the first day you attended before you can legally be registered.
  • You are a member of a properly insured historical re-enactment group or society.
  • You are a film, television or theatre production company.
  • You are (or are acting on behalf of) a museum
  • You are a Crown Servant in pursuance of your Crown duties

but The VCRA 2006 concerns itself with sale, manufacture and import ONLY.

Therefore the solution to this is :-

If you buy an imitation firearm and either gift it to someone else, or allow them to use it – regardless of their age – you are not contravening the Act. So, a parent can buy a two-tone airsoft gun and give it to their child to use or keep.

Can you point me to where it says this (highlighted red) in uk law? because I can tell you now it doesnt. Thats a ukara guidline, not a law.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.