Asg SVD sniper advice?

Trench
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Recently the sniper I bought and spray painted 50% green in the states broke on me. It was a great sniper that lasted me 5 years. Now I'm in the uk I'm not sure where to get another sniper from because of strict laws. It's much more expensive to buy in the uk but I was looking at the Asg SVD sniper on patrol base. I really like the look of it and was just wondering what the stats were like ( Fps, range, accuracy, reliability) and if there is any reason I should not buy it?

The laws over here aren't really that strict, once you've got your defence there's nothing else to worry about. At least we aren't restricted to semi-auto, can't have GBBs etc. Patrol Base are a great store, I live about 5 minutes away and they're all really helpful so I trust them to help you out genuinely and not just try to sell you something that's shit.

If he wants to, I think Ian_Gere might be able to offer some advice? All I know is he has an SVD himself but I can't remember the manufacturer.

Like any other sniper you'll no doubt want to do some modifications to it to make it a bit better at a skirmish. Most people say it's a necessity but undoubtably it's something you'll want to do at one point.

In terms of stock performance though, I think it's shooting around the 350 FPS mark (a 150 spring should get you ~500)

Bear in mind that ASG aren't the actual manufacturers of course...for example the ASG Urban Sniper is £110 at PB when on TaiwanGun the same rifle, the WELL MB-06 is about £60, and still comes with the scope and magazines. I wouldn't be sure of the actual worth of an ASG gun when you pay 100% more for a licenced version.

I'm not a sniper though so sorry I couldn't help you much.

Oh and as its an AEG, some sites won't allow more than 350fps. If you want a dedicated sniper then you're better going for spring or gas powered and single shot.

Are you sure? Everywhere I've seen it's spring (including LWA)

Oh if its the spring version thats okay then. I just assumed (not fully woken up) :D

• Supporters

OP you need to PM Rock-climby-Dave (he works at PB) to ask whether the ASG is made by A&K or is a clone - if it is I can totally walk you through what it's like stock and what you need to make it skirmishable. If it's a different pattern of build, all I can do is advise on sniper generals, but there are plenty of people on here with more sniping experience. Check out my thread on sniping tactics in General Discussion too.

ASG is an A&K rebrand with Izhmash trades,according to the guys at AirsofEire.

A&K is in turn a clone of the Korean made AtoZ Spring SVD which was also cloned by King Arms,so it can take all upgrades made for the AtoZ.

I have not worked on one yet or used one in a skirmish so I can't comment on what to upgrade,but Ian can manage that.

• Supporters

The ASG is, as UTJ has said, the same gun as the A&K.

Upgrades are a doddle. not like 'oh, V3 gearboxes are a doddle' like, genuinely anyone can do the work if you wanted to do it.

ASPUK do upgrade components for it, but the only parts you need on the Dragunov are:

Barrel

Hop rubber

Hop unit (the ASPUK one is infinitely easier to adjust, so well worth the £30 investment)

Release sear (again, ASPUK do one dead cheap out of steel?)

Train damper spring - M150/M140 and they take any AEG spring, rather than fiddly Sniper rifle springs.

The only thing I would suggest to do to the rifle at that point is get something machined to fit over the charging handle (a big tube of knurled aluminium or something) as pulling an M150 all day on a standard sized Dragunov handle is genuinely painful. Other than that, they're awesome rifles.

If you're after a sniper rifle for sure, have a look at the Urban snipers, they've been very popular recently

Clone? I said it was the same gun :huh: [EDIT - woops, my bad!, I've corrected my post - I know it's the same gun, just typod that whole sentence - Dave]

ah who cares. Upgrades work and that's the thing that counts :P

I would not really recommend the ASG urban snipers. They apparently have reliability problems and even bigger problems such as upgrade incompatibility. My local shop stopped stocking them because of this,replacing them with the WELL APS2 clone,branded by ASG as the Steyr SSG,it actually takes upgrades.

My best recommendation would be a JG BAR 10. More compatible and easy to find upgrades for it. You can get all the advantages of the APS clones by buying the ASPUK 90* trigger and piston.

• Supporters

The reason we like the urbans is that (once cleaned and screws tightened) they're actually pretty decent OOTB. a new barrel and hop rubber (APS type I think?) and you've got a rifle firing at 450-460 for £150 all in.

They are by no means a replacement for VSR/BAR10 type of upgradability, but for most people who want a rifle for the collection they do the job very well

I recently asked about the ASG Urban Sniper on here myself.

I appreciate Dave is trying to sell the gun since, well he works at PB but I'm pretty sure the WELL MB-06 is the same thing, yet you can get one of them for about £60 - if you don't mind ordering from Poland.

I'm interested in getting into sniping myself and probably going to pick up a JG BAR-10 although I must admit the WELL is quite tempting also. I don't know how seriously I would like to get into sniping anyway. I'd also like to be able to upgrade a rifle myself without worrying about breaking something expensive, would be a great gun like for a project just to sort of mess around with and only use occasionally (but when I do use it, it performs quite well) if you know what I mean.

Anyway I've got ages yet until I can get a job and save up enough money to buy either and in that time I will decide between the two.

• Supporters

I appreciate Dave is trying to sell the gun since, well he works at PB

On the contrary, It comes up in conversation or if I know we have something others need, but I try to avoid any undue advertising where possible.

Moderating and working for a store that doesn't directly support the forums could be tricky if I wandered around spouting 'herf derf, no other reeetailerz' like some forums ;)

On the contrary, It comes up in conversation or if I know we have something others need, but I try to avoid any undue advertising where possible.

Moderating and working for a store that doesn't directly support the forums could be tricky if I wandered around spouting 'herf derf, no other reeetailerz' like some forums ;)

Should've worded that differently; no offence intended or anything.

I meant to say / it would have sounded a bit better if I said you could be more biased towards PB. Although after all these forums are all about helping fellow softers out. I do shop at PB for most of my stuff and you definitely have some of the best customer service like everyone says.

• Supporters

oh, no offence was taken. It must have been this time last year anything offended me.

I am biased on some things - Krylon, for example, is responsible for a large amount of our online orders, so that's something y'all should get from Patrol Base (plus we have the largest selection of colours in the UK)

• Supporters

Yeah, so, the A&K Dragunov SVD:

- fires at 440FPS OOTB on a 150 spring / range isn't good enough IMO, but unlike some spring sniper rifles it will just compete with the best AEG's / outrange the average

- accuracy is good enough for man sized targets @60m, much beyond that you're pretty much floating them in anyway but it's pants

- I would say that the only thing you really have to upgrade before taking it to a skirmish is the hop unit / the stock one needs adjusting with a hex key with the top cover off ffs / as Dave said the advanced hop unit is the way forward / no offence to Daz from ASPUK but the place to order A&K SVD upgrade parts from is airsoftpro.cz as they innovated many of these parts, they're cheaper, and there's no Customs hassle importing from the Czech Republic.

- While you're at it you may as well swap the rubber for a good one to increase accuracy / PDI W-Hold, or Falcon do a Dual Point rubber specifically for this gun (ehobbyasia)

- there's an extended cocking handle which bolts on over the tiddler that they provide which is also essential if you're going to use it all day

At this stage it will be well skirmishable, but the stock release sear will round off eventually and if you replace it with the steel one that will take its toll on the piston release ring quicker, but mine was 3rd hand and I've been using it since last August with the upgrade sear and mine is still going strong.

I put a Madbull Ultimate 590x6.01mm TBB in mine, a Lees Precision Engineering O-Ring (AEG one), and slavered the inside of the cylinder in CT-2 silicone teflon grease. This gave me about 540FPS from the stock spring with 0.2g BB's, which obviously had to come down. I replaced the spring with an Element M135 and that gives me 492-3 consistently +/- 3 depending on conditions on the day. This makes cocking it a bit easier too :)

(I have also added some pads to the 1st knuckle inside of the trigger and middle fingers of a pair of cut off Oakley clone hard knuckle gloves to cushion that cocking pull). TBH the bolt on extended cocking handle looks better than a tube bodge and does work ok, but a well made tube bodge would probably be more useful by the middle of the afternoon when I've got finger ache even through the pads.

Anyhoo, it will hit a man sized target @80m every time in still air - maximum effective range is about 105m, but in still air I can float BB's in from a wopping parabolic trajectory at 135m to hit 2 foot wide trees maybe 2-3/5 shots. At that range though I doubt anyone would feel the hit, or even hear it bounce off them, it'd be going so slowly.

I plan to replace the piston with the one with a hard steel ring soon, just in case, but I don't believe it actually needs anything else for use in a skirmish. I have an idea for a custom suppressor build which I believe could improve accuracy enough to allow deliberate headshots at 80m, so that will require the muzzle adapter (the stock one doesn't have a thread, the whole front sight / flash hider piece fits a shaped barrel end tightly and is held in place by a grub screw), but that's just for the lolz.

Archived