What barrel would you choose??

Silentassasin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys I am upgrading my barrel but with so many on the market I am interested in other peoples choices and experiences?. the gun is an ics m4 internally standard except for a upgraded piston running on 7.4 lipo. thanks joe.

Madbull are not too great. Machining is meh at best and the stupid coatings come off and ruin the barrel. Aluminum is a poor material for barrels due to it's contact surface being unsuitable for BBs so it has to be coated. The coatings will come off with use,a standard brass barrel will last much longer. I'd never recommend any coated barrel,Stainless steel,Carbon steel and brass are the best performing. Better not to cheap out on barrels.

Machining quality on a barrel is crucial for the best performance, a well machined brass barrel,like a stock marui one will easily outperform any Madbull Super Ultra EpikTek with Magpower Space Polymer Coating perfect sniper shiny buzzword 9000 barrel.

Japanese manufacturers have a foothold on good quality barrels with companies like PDi and LayLax being the kings. Both have spot on machining quality with extra tight tolerances. PDi's budget oriented carbon steel Raven line are fantastic,sometimes outperforming certain super expensive SUS304 barrels. LayLax are just a little below PDi but a bit cheaper,still great all round barrel. I'd really recommend any barrel by LayLax/Prometheus and PDi. Not brand whoring really,just the feedback from these two are far above any other company,there's a fair gap between Prommy and PDi and other manufacturers.

LayLax would be more suited to a standard AEG,you're still lobbing around 15 BBs a second so being super accurate isn't your main strength. For a sniper or DMR,where accuracy is key,you'd want only the best.

Of course,you still need a good hop up unit and rubber for the barrels to be most effective.

Thanls for that reply. I am building a cqb rifle so I only have the length for 280mm max so a good barrel is top of my list of to buys! Who are the uk stockists for laylax and pdi?? The hop unit is abit of a sore spot as I have been informed the ics hop unit is ics specific? Cheers!

You can modify the ICS receiver to fit a Marui Hop unit I believe,according to some ICS owners who had done this it takes about 20 minutes of filing. There should be some guides on it.

Fire Support stock PDi and Laylax stuff. However you can get PDi barrels much cheaper from Japan by Xfire,shipping is nice and reasonable,in fact it's free until the 15th I believe.

• Supporters

as a note, I have NEVER heard of the coating on a madbull barrel coming off, I expect if you did a pullthrough with a bit of sandpaper you'd be able to shift it but beyond that it's pretty solid.

my recommendation for an AEG is a madbull black python, so much so that I replace stock marui barrels with them.

but.... you're building a CQB gun so why are you looking at changing the barrel? that extra 5mm of consistency at 40 yards isn't going to help you in CQB so why waste the money?

• Supporters

you're building a CQB gun so why are you looking at changing the barrel? that extra 5mm of consistency at 40 yards isn't going to help you in CQB so why waste the money?

That. Nail on the head, right there.

Ive had a madbull barrel in my ICS m4 for three years and the inside looks as good as it did day 1. Also as I said in the other thread, ICS hops are one of the best for m4/m16 due to the way its adjusted so I would stick with it.

Upgrading the barrel because the madbull black python I have is much to long I have already shortened it once and the crown is no good! Think I am going fir a black python 6.03/ 285mm. I am only planning on playing milsim with stirling airsoft from now on so im trying to keep the gun good at distance aswell as make it very hood in buildings and close quaters!

• Supporters

I'd go for 6.01 just because that extra fps boost lets you use a weaker spring for the same fps, meaning your gearbox and motor will be able to turn over faster and wear out slower.

• Supporters

I have a Madbull Ultimate 6.01mm in my SVD and it's good. I dare say a PDI would be better, but since it would cost more than the gun and the Madbull TBB, I'll probably never know. The thing to bear in mind, as James said, is what do you need from it? I need to be able to hit man sized targets at 80m consistently - depending on wind conditions, I can, therefore the Madbull was a good buy. If I wanted to shoot 6" target bulls at 50m competitively, it'd have to go...

I have tried 2 TBB's in my AKS-74U, which is essentially a CQB weapon, but A. I like to have the option to use it for woodland and B. upping the FPS with a TBB could allow you to drop the spring power so the FPS remains the same but i) allows a higher ROF and ii) wears out the gearbox parts more slowly (although in actual fact I upped the spring to a 105 so that I got around 345 from one of the short barrels as opposed to 318 with the stock barrel & spring). The 1st one was a chromed brass 6.02mm and brilliant and the one in there now is a Systema 6.05mm which gives me less FPS and isn't any more accurate so it's going...

I put a PDI 6.01mm in my V61 Scorpion, which prima facie seems like a proper cock maneuver, until you realise that there are very few ways to up the FPS of an AEP and, like the above, I want to be able to use it in woodland, as a sniper backup. It is fucking excellent compared to the stock one, but that was JG so that's not exactly news...

You could do us all a favour and try a Lonex (from Helmetworld on fleabay) and tell us how good it is, b/c they are stainless steel, Lonex make perfectly ok other parts so we can be pretty sure it wont be shit, and nobody else seems to have a clue if they are actually any good...

edit: ninja'd me Ed, you cnut!

• Supporters

I badly want to try a Miracle Barrel. But, I don't think they're actually available in the UK.

• Supporters

Are they the ones you can use for plumbing in a crisis? I've read that the hype is utter shite if that's the case.

• Supporters

Every single test I've seen of the effectiveness of the miracle barrel has been unscientific in the extreme with far more variables added in than just the barrel (different hop rubber/unit, shooting standing unsupported, shooting outside in wind) etc etc. Even with all these other factors in play, in none of the videos have I seen the miracle barrel actually demonstrably improve accuracy.

Personally I don't think they're anything like as good as they're supposed to be according to the hype, especially since ALL of that hype seems to be coming from sources either very close to, or actually from AirsoftGI/Evike in the states.

Archived