ACM vs Genuine PTS Magpul Parts

Airsoft_Mr B
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sounds like a stupid question, I know, but I was wondering if anybody has bought Magpul PTS clone parts and how do they compare to the genuine thing? No doubt you are paying some more for the brand name but I wonder about the quality of them since PTS are really similar to the real steel.

I ask this because I'm interested in buying a new pistol grip and although I should know better because it's probably crap quality I can't help but be drawn towards the fact that TaiwanGun do some cheap ones for like £7. Obviously I don't want to buy something that's going to break...and now I think about it, it probably wouldn't be great for my motor, and I would be worried about it all the time.

I think I would still like to get their XTM style rails but not sure about anything else.

I'm just interested to see what you guys think about them and what they are like.

Thanks

let's take a genuine magpul product, like the PRS stock for example:

a real steal one is about £200, an airsoft version is about £140, and a clone i've seen is about £30

It's obvious that the clone is going to be wank compared to a real steal one but it does not mean that will break super easily.

The real steal one is of better quality than the airsoft and the clone versions, but this is airsoft; there isn't gonna be mahoosive recoil in a gun shot or things drastically rattling about, so a clone would do if you can't afford an airsoft one.

But if have that spare "ka-ching" lying about, and you want better quality, then go for the airsoft version. But if are really just a rich snobhead, then go buy a real steal one.

• Supporters

A piece of thermo-moulded plastic is a piece of thermo-moulded plastic in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Alabama, East Grinstead, and Timbukfuckingtu...

• Supporters

True, but tolerances count on some parts... for a grip on an AEG I'd stick with the PTS product as you know that your motor will be seated correctly and won't end up stripping any gears.

Pretty much everything else... buy the clone if you don't want the 'real' thing, 99% of it is cosmetic anyway so why shell out?

That said, some things only work out to be a couple of quid more to get the real deal magpul product (not PTS), like the railed vertical grip. I personally am happy to pay an extra £2-3 for a product I know is more resilient than the gun it's attached to!

True, but tolerances count on some parts... for a grip on an AEG I'd stick with the PTS product as you know that your motor will be seated correctly and won't end up stripping any gears.

Pretty much everything else... buy the clone if you don't want the 'real' thing, 99% of it is cosmetic anyway so why shell out?

That said, some things only work out to be a couple of quid more to get the real deal magpul product (not PTS), like the railed vertical grip. I personally am happy to pay an extra £2-3 for a product I know is more resilient than the gun it's attached to!

Thanks for the advice :) Makes sense to play it safe and pay the extra for better quality that you know is going to last and be made properly when your motor's concerned, and I was thinking the same thing with rails and things since they're cheaper and aren't going to potentially damage any internals.

Archived