Lipo discharge

Adammd209
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Never ever fully discharge a lipo, you will kill it, just charge it up now, when using them if you hear your guns ROF start to drop then swap your battery out

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a mishap. One of the cells has dropped below 3v whilst I was using it. Is there anyway of saving the pack or is it now dead? I've only got a basic VP balance charger. Not sure what I've done. There is quite a difference in cell voltage compared to the others. Only thing I can think of is that I haven't done some kind of new battery break in, which I can't do on my charger anyway! Could I simply buy a lipo balancer/discharger to rectify the problem?

have you flattened the battery? if so then bin it.

tbh, all I have ever run my AEGs on is LiPos and never ever had an issue, have you fully charged your batteries to find it still only gives 3v?

Are you using a LiPo charger? You can't just plug them into a standard charger, and they don't require a battery "break in". Plug the thing into a proper charger and see what happens.

soz, just read you are already using a balance charger.

The only issues I have had so far with LiPos are:

I forgot to remove the battery from an AEG and it swelled up.... I'll not risk charging it now.

I used a sites generator to plug my charger in and it fried it, the voltage wasn't regulated or smoothed I don't believe and fubar'd the battery and charger.

• Supporters

You should fully charge it on your balancing charger and then discharge it, either by running your gun off it or using a discharger. If it does it again then there's something wrong with it. If it's not more than a few months old, tell the retailer you want a refund, because it's not fit for purpose.

It's not a case of if a cell ever drops below 3V it is instantly and irrevocably fucked, it's a case of 3V is a convenient number to remember as a rule of thumb and the damage that occurs through over-discharge begins in tiny increments somewhere below that, but not at a set voltage, because it depends on the make, age, history of use, etc., and the lower the voltage drops, the worse the damage will be, but still not necessarily fit for the bin. LiPo batteries can swell without it meaning anything serious, but to be on the safe side, I would charge a swollen one on a fireproof surface away from anything close above just in case. Inside a metal biscuit tin would be the cheapest excellent solution, because although a LiPo doesn't actually need much outside oxygen to split and start burning, for the oxidation reaction to really get going, like full on fire spitting flaming nuggets of white hot burning metal like a chemistry lesson on crack would require considerable additional oxygen and a closed metal lid puts a total end to that possibility, even with a little hole to allow the wire through the tin side (because the fumes will fill the interior very quickly and their production causing positive pressure must prevent fresh air from inflowing).

Is this your charger? Because it ought to rebalance your cells automatically if so.

I've got to be doing something wrong. Should it charge all the cells at the same time or does it charge one then move to another? If so, could it be that I'm not leaving it long enough?

Like I say, they are brand new batteries and after about 2 hours of steady use one died as I noticed the ROF drop and then the other. When I checked them with my voltage reader one cell was very low probably about 2v

• Supporters

They charge all cells at once - the chip detects the voltage in each cell and adjusts the resistance of the circuits created by the monitor plug wires to get them to match. So the fat wires plug into the main charger output and the little plug into the right size socket for it.

Since this has happened to 2 different batteries my guess is it must be your charger or you. I'd do the unthinkable @this stage and have a proper read of the manual. It may somehow be acting as if there is 1 cell less than there actually is... but anyway if the manual yeilds no joy & it's not that old, send it back.

• Supporters

Well, I'd err on the side of my wallet and tell the retailer it is fucked then - it probably is. I mean that charger, afaik, is supposed to be automatic. It doesn't give you options to set the charging current, or select the number of cells, right?

that is the same as mine, it has a switch to chose between lipo and life cells. I had an issue with my last charger which as said was down in my opinion to the supply voltage/current have you had it plugged into a generator?

Archived