A loadout too far

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Why would you want to lug around a shotgun? Where would you get it? where would you get ammo?

Why would you want to lug around all that extra weight and use up space in your pack?

Shotguns (pump) were used in the Jungles, the 'point' man in a patrol would carry one. It was a practice started by the British in WW2 and later picked up by the US in Vietnam.

Hwa San make a gas double barrel:

http://www.airsoftworld.net/hs-mad-max-double-barreled-shotgun-8mm-long-barreled-version.html

http://www.airsoftworld.net/hs-mad-max-double-barreled-sawn-off-shotgun-8mm.html

It's supposed to leak gas like a biatch but apparently that can be solved with new O-rings on each shell

• Supporters

Q. Why would you want to lug around a shotgun?

A. A classic bank robbing shotgun doesn't take much lugging. I'd want one for close quarters, where the length of a Lee Enfield No.4 could be a significant disadvantage. Also for situations where a position I was detailed to defend was in danger of being rushed - take it out and place it handy so that when I've fired my 11 shots, if I'm about to be bayoneted before I can reload, I have 2 persuasive arguments. Plus, loaded with rock salt & rice, it would be very good for prisoner taking raids.

Q. Where would you get it?

A. Wearing a uniform does not make soldiers law abiding citizens. In fact, back in the days when a Magistrate's Court was called a "Police Court" and the only chance of a "not guilty" verdict was if a copper had recently offended the magistrate, it was common for the 'defendant' to be offered the army as an alternative to jail. It was also much more common for townies to go poaching than it is now - Tis my delight on a Friday night... to get the hacksaw out of the shed.

Q. Where would you get the ammo?

A. I refer you to the above answer, but also consider that those at home are generally well disposed towards serving soldiers, but back in WW2 far more so, because, for most people, the conflict was morally & politically unambiguous, since the threat was of occupation by a foreign power. What's a box 12g 00 buckshot for Mrs. Jones' eldest about to be shipped off who knows where?

Q. Why would you want to lug around all that extra weight and use up space in your pack?

For the same reasons our modern soldiers dump plenty of their issue kit so they can carry more 5.56mm ammo now - you can survive being hungry, dirty, and cold a lot better than you can survive taking a knife to a gunfight.

Nope don't buy it at all. I don't see how you would keep it secret from the NCOs and Officers, they aren't going to let you lug the damn thing around. Illegal weapons are taken very seriously by the army now and then.

As for using it in case you run out of ammo at 'close quarters' that's just daft.

Carrying a few extra clips of ammo is a different thing to carrying a shotgun and ammo around.

Maybe it would happen in the movies or make believe like an airsoft game.

Yup the Hwa San is better looking but the Goblin is smaller, lighter uses 6mm ammo, shoots 12 bb's per shell rather than 7 and is cheaper, plus it comes with a holster.

Soldiers would get shotguns from just about anywhere, farms in france, farms back home, dead resistance fighters, bought from Ian during his black marketeering days...

tve1206-19730623-82.jpg

Pump action ones would not have been common, a sawn off double barrelled shotgun would have been easy to get hold of and easy to carry.

• Supporters

Back in camp, where a Colonel or Brigadier might happen along and poke his nose into company level business, yeah NCO's and junior officers would stop private soldiers from carrying non-issue kit, or they themselves could easily find themselves in the shit. But regardless of the written regs and apparent chain of command, any body of armed men with live ammunition is governed very much by consent. When the main threat to discipline arises from the actions of the enemy, NCO's and Lieutenants have got bigger fish to fry than non-regulation kit. You'll be telling us there was no rape and plundering next!

Last month I was talking with an ex RM sergeant - he was telling us that he used to leave kit behind so he could carry an extra 120 rounds in mags and about 200 loose in his pack. And a non-issue yank S&W 40 in a drop leg. I have no reason to doubt his word.

There is a picture of a British Para at Arnhem with an M1 Carbine. These were not issued to British troops, there were no American troops nearby who could have lost it so for it to be in the photo, it would have had to be carried in plain sight as he got onto the plane or glider. An M1 carbine although small, would not fit into a British pack, a sawnoff shotgun would though.

These were not issued to British troops,

I've just read they were in limited issue with Canadian and British Paras (incase you ever fancy one Russe), but yeah the point still remains. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of reason that a soldier could get his hands on a shotgun and use it also.

I do as it happens. I love the M1 Carbine, for it's day it was a brilliant design. The best way round that one would be to wear the correct beret with denison smock, webbing and battledress: Instant WW2 SAS loadout :) SAS can get away with any weapon as long as the time period is right :D

Oh and the name is Russell, it's just that someone had already been naughty with that name so I couldn't use it so I replaced the L's with 1's

• Supporters

>See's someone disagree's with Ian

>Hides

> Avoids getting splattered with excrement and pieces of former a*se hole.

>???

>profits

wtf?

I was referring to the fact, more often than not, you're usually right Ian, and you'll always back up your arguement with a tonne of proof/evidence/reason which most people find it hard to contend with, i.e tearing them a new one... I've had too much coffee and been awake for too long to make perfect sense lol. It was meant as a jestful compliment :P

• Supporters

Turns out I had got the gist, but I just didn't understand what the question marks and "profits" was about. Cheers then :lol:

• Supporters

I take it you know that soldiers kill their superiors when they don't like them, right?

• Supporters

I still call bollocks on it. A trophy pistol maybe.

and what does 'any body of armed men with live ammunition is governed very much by consent' even mean? lol.

In 'Nam it wasn't uncommon for combat hardened, tired soldiers to throw frag's at their green, unexperienced officers when they gave a foolish order or one that endangered their own lives.

Officer's dead? Return to base camp and wait for his replacement, blame it on the VC.

It'll be really low quality, the colour is wrong and the pockets are in the wrong place.

In 'Nam' it was uncommon. Most of what people think they know about 'Nam' is myth.

As for the British Army until fairly recently the prospect of Firing Squad or hanging was a pretty big incentive to obey orders and not kill you superiors.

Between 1941 and 1955 47 soldiers were sentenced to death and executed by British courts-martials for offenses including Murder, Mutiny and 'Treachery'

Hundreds of prison sentences were handed out up to life imprisonment.

We should start a separate thread. We are hijacking this one so I knock off here.

It'll be really low quality, the colour is wrong and the pockets are in the wrong place.

It's not too bad if it is depicting Canadian Denims. Denims were greener than Battledress and the Canadian stuff even Battledress was greener all round.

• Supporters

I wouldn't be expecting much TBH. As long as it could get through a weekender without giving up the ghost then with the sten, a ticket, transport, food and BB's that's about £235-40 for a WW2 bash = doable / and still have a boss all steel gun to fuck about with... weld a mount on the side of the receiver and fit a PSO-1 scope and a barrel mounted bipod maybe - go the whole hog and slap a crane stock on it too!

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/shirts/olive-green-general-service-shirt-1123297.html

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shop/trousers/lightweights-fatigue-trousers-1122242.html

Set of British green lightweights: Grade 2 would be £9

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1937-mk3-basic-web-set-product,11318

Basic Webbing £34

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00168YSKI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AIKN7SVBFHMAA

helmet £8.50

That would be a basic Jungle green loadout. Use some scraps of green fabric for puttees. Would look better if the shirt and trousers were about 15 sizes too big :)

• Supporters

Agreed, it does. Bloody horrible! I've got net though. If I was gonna wear a helmet I'd wear one of my 44 Pattern turtleshells and say i was one of the lads tasked to prove them in combat :lol:

BTW, 1 of 'em is for sale :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.