A loadout too far

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

and doesn't seem to be available in light brown :(

A polish with a dark brown polish should darken the boots to more of a pale brown than yellow, if not they're good enough.

• Supporters

You could dilute the dark brown with acetone maybe. I bought 500ml from here, which turned out to be twice what i needed, but its the postage which costs not the stuff itself and i also wanted some dichloromethane so i was going to have to get that from them anyway. But they are right on sending it by courier not RM. You could probably get 100ml for nail polish from someone who couldn't care less what RM say you can or can't post cheap as chips.

I have to say following this I can really sympathise with Russell on the loadout gone too far front.. my SADF kit started by doing a African-esque Merc loadout which moved to more of a Blood Diamond kit to a more realistic Merc kit then full on SADF infantry and Recce and now I'm moving onto SANDF and Rhodesian kit!

Also: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?236238-Shoot-and-scoot-no4-Lee-Enfield!

Have been busy on the ww2airsoft forums trying to persuade people that a pacific theatre game would work. No-one does Japanese so it needs something to add an element of fun to it.

I came up with a few ideas:

Trapdoors- Square boards hidden throughout the zone at which Japanese can spawn unless they are found and a satchel charge is placed on them. This should allow small groups of Japanese to appear from locations they are not expected.

Fanaticism- To make the Japanese side mirror some of the fanaticism of the real events Japanese officers are able to change the medic rules in one of several ways. Self medicing allowed would mean that the Japanese are better able to fight to the last man. Extra 10 seconds of life would make a Banzai charge a lot harder to stop before bayonet range is reached etc.

Put this all together in a woodland game with plenty of cover and you would have a game where the Allies will not have a clue what's going on.

That sounds like a really good idea but as you say the issue is getting Japanese guys.. As far as I know there aren't any WWII Japanese weapons out..

Standard rules at WW2 games are it doesn't really matter as long as its a ww2 weapon. Japanese is actually fairly cheap to do a rough impression. A helmet cover over a British Mk3 helmet creates a Japanese helmet. Beige shirt and baggy trousers with a length of fabric instead of a belt, long puttees and a couple of shoulder bags. People will do it if there's a game, especially if you plan to do a game every year. The hard part is persuading people to play Japanese rather than US Marines. The key is to give the Japanese the ability to fuck with peoples heads to make it fun.

Combat south runs a Vietnam game every year, people have Vietnam loadouts just for that so why not a WW2 Pacific game?

Then I get an excuse to do the Aussie Jungle loadout :)

Aussie khaki drill shirt, dyed green

US Herringbone twill trousers

US lace up gaiters

Slouch hat

P37 webbing

The Aussies were working with the yanks not the British so started using some American gear. What they ended up with was a hybrid taking the best of each. If only there was an airsoft Owen SMG....

The boots and laces arrived. Not as yellow as the picture made them look. Once you put the leather laces in them, the boots look spot on.

• Supporters

Pics or we don't believe you. They look like great big clown boots, canary yellow with big bows on, don't they!?!

Well the leather laces do make them creak rather a lot as you walk :)

• Supporters

^^Royal Artillery Regiment loadout...

Rocketman!

• 2 weeks later...

So the Hockwerk game I was so looking forward to got cancelled :(

I have now signed up for a rifles only game in Sept. I really have to get my arse in gear and get that rifle by then now :)

Best bit though is that it's set early war and the list of possible nations said British and commonwealth, so I signed up as the only Aussie (I get to wear a big silly hat yay!) :D

• 3 weeks later...

So currently I have the gas powered SMLE on order from Evike.com, its going to need some work to get it up and running. My early war Aussie loadout is ready for the rifles only game in Sept. It promises to be an awesome game. I may have to get a rubber bayonet.

Next on the to do list is the late war Aussie loadout. This is the fun bit :)

I have done some research and the Aussies really mastered the art of jungle warfare. Having entered the war with rather poor quality gear left over from WW2, they learned to pick the best of the gear available and use it. They initially copied the idea of commando units, but quickly realised that rather than being able to strike targets behind enemy lines, they were better used to create OP's near enemy locations and for long range reconnaissance patrols. While the British in Burma stuck with Khaki drill and later Jungle green gear and standard pattern 37 webbing, The Aussies switched to US herring bone twill trousers and lace up gaiters as they provided better protection from vegetation and insects. They also quickly realised that the webbing needed a few alterations and developed their own water bottle carriers that fitted directly to the belt. This meant that multiple water bottles could be carried and they would be more stable.

Items needed for this loadout: HBT trousers, M1938 lace up leggings, Jungle green shirt, 2 skeleton style water bottle holders, an extra water bottle, C hooks and webbing material for water bottle holder adaption, machete sheaf and rubber machete.

My Aussie loadout had it's 1st outing on Saturday. Very comfy and the hat is excellent in the sun. Hopefully someone will post some pictures I can show you guys eventually. I also received some books about the Aussies in WW2. One thing I have learned that will be useful is that they sometimes stitched a 3rd ammo pouch to the side of the backpack. This is such a simple awesome idea. If I do this mod, I then can have the C Clips for the water bottle mod.

I have also decided that the amount of gear I have to carry to a game (airsoft gear plus camping gear) needs to be reduced. Carting everything to and from the train station almost killed me. I have come up with an idea, rather than take a tent, I am going to put together an Aussie Swag. Basically I intend to get a canvas bivvi bag and roll it up with a sleeping bag and foam mat inside. This should attach to the large P37 pack with blanket straps leaving the large pack to carry just airsoft gear and a mini trangia plus food and drink. The small pack then converts to a shoulder bag for any excess and I can take the train in full marching order webbing :D

• 3 weeks later...

US HBT trousers and M38 gaiters arrived to go with a green shirt for the Aussie jungle impression (aka the 'it's rather hot and sunny out, lets wear lightweight clothing and a sun hat' loadout).

I have the SMLE. Matilda, as she is called, is by far the sexiest gun ever seen. She can be field stripped like the original, the only difference in the bolt is the gas inlet and the striker for the gas release on the bottom.

Only thing needed to complete both Aussie loadouts is the P1907 Bayonet. I would however like to do a couple of belt mounted water bottle carriers for the jungle loadout.

I may revisit the airborne loadout sometime and complete the helmet conversion and get a better Denison. Not sure I can be arsed atm though.

• 3 months later...
  • Supporters

Just watching "The Bombing of Darwin" recorded from History Channel - :lol: I want an Aussie AA Gunner loadout now :lol: perfect for the state of me!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.