A loadout too far

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I succumbed to temptation and bought a Sten gun due to Remus's post in the 'spot a bargain' thread. Now I have to build a WW2 loadout. If you haven't guessed from the title of this thread, I'm thinking or an airbourne loadout. There are 2 reasons for this; I am allergic to wool and standard british battledress would be rather uncomfortable and I love the film a Bridge too far.

The starting point then is the ASG Sten MK2 http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/BSA-STEN-MKII-AS16758B.html#.UtA07tJdW0Q

as16758.jpg

This is an all steel beast of a gun. It is full auto only and is amazingly accurate when you consider how short the barrel is. The rate of fire with just an 8.4v NiMH is insane (stick battery goes in the stock if you wondered). The sights are actually very easy to use compared to most iron sights. Basically I love it.

Next I need spare magazines, so a bit of research tells me there are 50 round magazines available or King arms does a 110 round magazine, which no-one has in stock. I have emailed swindonairsoft and they will be getting back to me with a price.

The Denison smock: This is the key to the whole loadout. I trawled the web and found several on ebay for stupid money and various places selling reproductions for stupider money. I considered looking for something that looks close enough and was almost tempted by the bagadi rooivalk smock for only semi-stupid money. I have persevered though and a little research told me that after the war, the Belgian army bought a load of them for use by their troops in the Congo. Although these would be a later design, its close enough.

https://shop.strato.de/epages/61431412.sf/sec5d56bb1771/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61431412/Products/200007/SubProducts/200007-0001

91038000Smockgebraucht_ml.jpg

Now I just need some trousers, gaiters or puttees, a beret or helmet and some webbing.

I'm liking that Fallschirmjägerjacke :)

Wow I love German haha

It's not Fallschirmjager, it's a denison smock. Note the brush stroke camo pattern.

As for the beret, all the airbourne toops used maroon berets. It's only after WW2 when the number of parachute trained regiments was reduced that it became a Parachute regiment thing. I may have to get the helmet if I can though.

I have sent an email to a company called Sabresales, who seem to stock just about every concievable bit of webbing asking for prices on everything I need now. Hopefully they are significantly cheaper than Soldier of fortune. I have also joined ww2airsoft.org forums in the hope of a bit of help. Apparently denim battledress is a possibility and would be 'allowed for most events' in WW2 airsoft. Sounds like these guys are a bit strict! I just want to shoot people with my sten gun! This project may well bankrupt me before it's finished :D

Yes, lots of useful stuff on that site. Am using the Basic airbourne and 2nd South Staffs impressions are a guide, have joined the forums and have emailed Sabre Sales as they seem to be the best bet for all the gear I will need at a reasonable price.

ohh beret, now theres a tough choice, are you gonna go with the classic over used Paras, BOOOOOOO. no one likes paras. or find yourself a more authentic airborne regiment.

I may go for Polish airbourne. Main reason is that there is evidence that some of them didn't bother dying their webbing. This means that if I decide to get some khaki drill and do a North Africa loadout, I can use the same webbing.

Not a fallschirmjägerjacker, ok thanks for clearing that up.

Hey to be honest I just saw it in the title or something :/

nope, its from a german web site which may have confused you. Tbh, where could the idea for them have possibly come from for the smock, they saw german paratroops with their camo and copied the idea.

Might have come up with a money saving idea for the helmet. If I take a plastic M1 helmet and reshape the brim and change the strap, then by the time I add netting and scrim it may be close enough to get by. Not sure yet.

Or might this:

MK6%20Rubber%20Helmet%20band%20Green%200

Pass for one of these:

MK2%20British%20Para%20Helmet%2001.JPG

If I have enough scrim attached?

50 years later and all they have changed about the chin strap is the colour????

A Mk6 helmet is actually rather similar to the MK2 airbourne helmet, if I can pass one of as the other I can use it in multiple loadouts.

• Supporters

A MK6 is quite a bit bigger, even though the shape is pretty similar. You could probably bleach the strap of a MK6 down to something similar enough to khaki as only complete bell-ends would make an issue of it and they are available for refurb jobs on their own (but the place I was going to get one from has run out lol).

Fallshirmjager just means paratrooper in German - so yeah, a Denison smock is a paratrooper's jacket/jacker...

if I get a paratroopers MK2 helmet, I could easily get away with a layer of craft foam under a dpm cover and use it on modern builds as a Mk6 though. WW2 airsofters will spot a fake, normal airsofters won't care :)

• Supporters

Yeah and if you can get a MK2 para helmet for less than £100, please let me know, eh?

Yeah and if you can get a MK2 para helmet for less than £100, please let me know, eh?

£80 on soldier of fortune, though I'm told that's a bit steep and I should only look to pay £50. You planning to do this build too?

Hmm if only we had someone who deals in WW2 gear on this forum *cough*armysurplusandtoys*cough*

Further research tells me that the smock I ordered may actually be a Norwegian post war smock. Doesn't matter much, the camo is about right. I notice armysurplusandtoys is selling a denison smock if anyone else falls into remus's trap :)

• Supporters

Well, it's 'kin tempting. I mean I'd love the Sten for the lolz whatever and I'd wear the smock as a casual jacket, so there's no real downside except the slow it would put on all my other projects... I'll have to see how I feel come the 21st when I next have money.

I sent armysurplusandtoys a pm, telling him to look at this thread. Maybe as he sells this sort of gear he'll either be able to supply us or know more about where best to get it.

Shopping list at present:

Sten gun sling

WW2 para helmet (or RAC helmet), I have been told about £50 is the going rate but can only find them at Soldier of Fortune for £80.

Pattern 37 Webbing - Belt, cross straps(long), MK3 ammo pouches, small pack, L straps for the pack (long), Water bottle and water bottle holder. I'm told it should be possible to get all this for about £30 but everywhere I look it seems to be a lot more.

Gaiters or Puttees to cover the fact I'm wearing size 11 soldier95 boots.

Battledress Trousers (possibly denim due to my wool allergy)

Battledress tunic (not at all important as it goes under the smock)

http://www.gunmanforum.com/index.php?showtopic=12012

This may be fun if we can get a few ppl for it, I believe they do a lot of this sort of thing though so I probably won't commit to it until I get my loadout sorted.

ok had a look what i do have to hand at the moment is the cross over straps? the rest is hard if you are wanting the ww2 as its all going up in price at the moment. Also if you're allergic to the wool the clothing may be an issue but how close do you want to look?

Webbing can be post war as long as it's P37, no-one will notice black steel fasteners instead of brass. Troops used to let the brass tarnish and even blacken it over a fire in warzones anyway. I was going to cut corners on the clothing to start with to save money. The webbing, helmet, helmet net, sling and puttees or gaiters would be the important bits atm.

I might make do with some modern No.2 uniform trousers and shirt from britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk for now, I bet they haven't really changed the design much of the non combat uniform since WW2 :)

BTW, my other pass-time ins cycling. So I've been looking at these:

r61090_10.jpg?w=950

Its the BSA paratrooper bicycle, they dropped them with the troops so they could move to their objective faster. They come apart in the middle for transportation. Unfortunately they cost a fortune but one day I might afford the Pashley replica and attach fake connectors to the tubes :)

They were apparently a very common choice of bike in certain areas of Holland in the late 40's-50's, can't think why :D

Just found this web site:

http://www.cobbatoncombat.co.uk/sales/webbing.htm

May be the solution to all the webbing issues. They also have British kevlar helmets for Ian from £7.50.

I feel a day out may be in order.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.