M16 VN Mags in an L85?

NickM
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As the title, I'm wondering, as the midcaps hold about the same number of bbs but are much smaller could I get away with a few VN mags? Is it sacrilege or a genius brainwave?!

Will it just look stupid?

Does anyone have an L85 and VN mags and wouldn't mind uploading a photo before I commit to buying.

• Supporters

It's definitely sacrilege.

I will hurt you.

Cant answer the question, but as I pointed out the other day on the Facebook group, I bought a VN16 mag as a tester because I like them but then it doesn't fit on my 416 which I thought was M4/M16 real steel compatible.

Does it look silly?

No, I dont think so.

Do you want to look realistic ?? its not realistic.

Will it fit ?

One of my mates asked the same question a couple of weeks back, we stuck one of my p-mag LR20's in and although not looking at all realistic did work perfectly and didn't look that bad

L85s and VNs - due to the fact that the original magazines the MoD bought in the 1980s were surplus US mags, there's likely to have been a few - but we're talking a very small number. Hell, one of the pre-production (but post-prototype) trial L85s (XL85E...something) was tested using them.

So, you could - providing you had an A1, with SUSAT. It looks odd, but not a complete WTF moment.

Do any fit in airsoft? Well, W.E. VNs fit do in the W.E L85. TM VNs do not fit in the ICS L85.

As for 416s - AFAIK, the real ones can't use PMAGs, only EMAGs. Like the L85, the magazine well on the 416 is slightly the wrong shape for PMAGs.

The real steel 416s work with EMAGs but the G&G airsoft version doesn't.

As for 416s - AFAIK, the real ones can't use PMAGs, only EMAGs. Like the L85, the magazine well on the 416 is slightly the wrong shape for PMAGs.

Haha I knew Ed would be the first to comment on this!

Personally if you don't mind yourself, go for it. I guess they should, I mean, they're just the same but shorter...right? As long as your using the magazines by brands that are usually compatible then I see no reason why they should be any different and not work.

For example if you have an ICS L85 and you usually use KA AR-15/STANAG mags, King Arms VN ones should work. (Sorry I don't own an L85 myself so I don't actually know which are going to work with which)

Hope this helps.

• Supporters

Well i've bitten the bullet and bought a vn and a tan stanag from hk. I'll take a photo and post it but I have a feeling you are right with the sacrilege thing as I have an a2. But my other primary is a solid stock m4 and I think I can pull it off in that one. Will see if it works which is more important as they can be backups.

Archived