Prescription Shooting Glasses.

Del Monty
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I have to wear glasses for vision correction, I have a slight muscle imbalance in my eyes that creates an object in 2 different places to where it should be. As such I am trying to find responsablly priced glasses with presciption inserts so that I can actually see correctly while playing Airsoft. Mesh goggles are sadly no good for me and the ones I have found are stupidly expensive, to which I cant afford just for a pair of shooting glasses.

Does anyone know where I can find something for this, eye protection is obviously the most important thing for airsoft so I need to find something safe, reliable and affordable for me.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

• Supporters

I haven't actually got around to getting the lenses made yet, but I have the ESS Vice RX Kit which M_P mentioned above - the same kit fits ESS Ice & Advancer V12

Having tried the thing with its ordinary lenses, I suspect that it will work well for vision, but behind polycarbonate lenses I'm certain it will fog like a cold mirror over a kettle. I've made some mesh replacements for my V12's which are, to date, the best eyepro I've ever used for vision - but the mesh will not withstand more than one full auto burst before needing to be replaced. If you are a tinkerer / bodger / next Dyson, I'd suggest you do the same - the stuff I used is SS316 0.71mm wire #8 mesh - I believe it should be possible to make it more resilient by quench hardening the formed lens replacements, but again, I haven't got around to it...

Otherwise, after some pretty extensive research I've found that Fog Tech has more consistent good reviews than any other anti fog coating, but even though I bought some a while ago, I still haven't tried it... :lol: there's a pattern forming here :lol: there is also some Russian stuff which is like a mini wax/soap lip stick which you rub on and polish clear - pm me if u want a url cos i can't remember off the top of my head. It works pretty well, but only for about 15mins...

• Supporters

I'm not far from Spec Savers so i'm about to find out, James.

• Supporters

OK the score @SpecSavers is this: ordinary single vision lenses with an anti fog coating cost £90 fitted into a goggle insert. They don't do ballistic lenses themselves, so no all in one solution. If you want anything else like anti UV, scratch resist, anti glare, etc that will probly cost extra but may be within blagging reach. What is definitely not open to a blag is their 2-for-1 deal... It does not apply to lenses made for frames not bought from them. Also the lenses come with a bottle of stuff being called 'cleaner' but, by the sound of it, it's actually a top up of the surface. Anyhoo you get what they call 6 month's worth and thereafter it costs £30 for a 3 pack which has to be ordered from SS, however the sales rep told me that the lab bloke said that if you google it there are cheaper alternatives. They come with a 2yr Warranty, hence buying the brand stuff from SS may be a necessity if you think you may need to claim on it. So that's £120 in total for 2yrs guaranteed.

Not brilliant then, but within reach of the serious softer... Unfortunately I need varifocals so the company SS use for the coating insist on their own lens and that costs £209 + £50 for the coating + £40 for the fitting.

I think you'll all agree with my response to the fellow: "They're taking the piss!" This is when we got into a discussion about 2-for-1, because £330 for 2yrs guaranteed fogless eyepro and a reasonable pair of day-to-day-ers I could just about handle, even if it did make me issue some involuntary strangling sounds... but no, it can't be done.

Going forward I think that seeing if we can get SS to stock ESS Vice RX inserts themselves is worth pursuing - some kind of (oh my hole i hate to say it but) facebook group so we can show there's a market. Also i'm going to take the whole idea on the road to independant opticians, because they can be blagged and £330 is a figure which, when wafted temptingly under the nose, is apt to produce a fair degree of flexibility within the old 'our policy is bla-de-bla' which just isn't available from a massive concern like SS.

• Supporters

SpecSavers are rip off merchants of the highest order when it comes to anything that isn't straight off the shelf. Optical Express are MUCH better or failing that one of the proper optical chains like Leightons would be more help. I have a pair of Oakley Rx frames from Leightons and they're boss. Non Oakley lenses (because they cost more than the moon) fitted to Oakley frames but with all the anti-scratch/anti-reflection stuff.

• Supporters

How much did they cost, Loz? Is there an anti fog coating available?

• Supporters

How much did they cost, Loz? Is there an anti fog coating available?

Ian, they're not for skirmishing in, they're Oakley Metal Plate titanium frames. With my prescription in they were £315 (I get 10% discount on Oakley because I also get my contact lenses from them) on standard plastic lenses.

Archived