Operation Gothic Serpent 1993 (Black hawk down) Loadout's

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be starting work on a loadout based around the time of Operation Gothic Serpent soon, it is more commonly referred to as Blackhawk Down.

As of yet I'm unsure on whether I'll be doing a Ranger or Delta force loadout, I will eventually do both as it'll be hard to resist once I have suitable kit. The loadouts I've seen so far on the internet have all been from America, and everyone has cut a corner somewhere be it with the armor being a cheap nylon copy or using an m4 instead of the Car-15 variant that were in use at the time, which I feel ruins the overall look. I'm going to try and be authentic as possible and try not to cut corners where at all possible; because I'll be determined to make this as authentic as possible, it will probably take a long time to finish (this and I'm skint at the moment lol!)

This thread will follow my progress and also be to help anyone taking on a similar loadout so we can pool our resources - would be cool to see a few of us turn up at a game together in the future!

I'll start the ball rolling with the best attempt I've come across so far by a guy at my local :

I'm assuming he has based his loadout on the film rather than real life, I'll be updating this post as time goes on with pictures from both the film and real life. At this moment in time I'm thinking of keeping it true to real life, but sacrifices may have to be made if certain things are hard to come by or no reference material exists.

I'd also like to share these pictures of what I've been told are US Army rangers from the Operation (I cannot confirm this however so take it with a pinch of salt), wearing the Black PT armor shown only on Delta force in the movie. This could be an alternative for those of you having trouble sourcing Ranger Battle Armor (herein referred to as RBA) or PAGST flak vests which are shown on Rangers in the movie.

1RangersArmorBlack_zps78875dcc.jpg

3RangersHumvee_zps26e446d5.jpg

• Supporters

Looking at the real life pics the suppose "black hawk down vest" sold by any Asian retailers looks too bulky. A PACA type thing may be a better option

• Supporters

I had the full kit at one point I'll dig out a pic, and possibly a kit list

Although I never skirmished in it :(

Now that you mention it, it does look much more appropiate Nick. Flyye make a version for around the £40 quid mark which should be good quality being Flyye.

I found some more pictures of Rangers in the black vests :

SAW Gunner in a black vest

5RangersBlackVestSawGunner_zps8a6ccd5b.j

A group of Rangers pose for a picture; the two Rangers on the left are using carbines. Note how the middle Ranger has two magazines taped together with 100mph tape, I've read carboard was used as a spacer in combination to the tape to create what we now know as mag clamps. Also worth noting, the Ranger on the far left has a magnified scope mounted atop his carry handle and a cheek riser on his stock.

4RangersBlackVestandBarret_zpseb9d78e4.j

Bit of an early morning post today Lads. Would appear we're not the only ones with an interest in this (recently I mean) a copy of Gordon's m733 used in the film just sold on Zeroin for £210. Kicking myself as I would of bought it had I seen it.

I did a bit of work on my m14 today which is up for sale, made me think of keeping it; the paint job I did on it (unintentionaly looks very similar to the paint job in the film). I also learnt I had an M68 aimpoint replica laying about with the correct mount! I'll post up some pictures when I get in from work tonight - if I put a m1907 sling on the m14 I think it would look pretty spot on to be honest. Though I will probably end up with an M16a2 or a M733, any excuse for a new gun...

Also, I'm in the process of planning an M72 LAW build for the loadouts, it will fire nerf footballs. I'll strap it to the side of a medium ALICE pack or possibly sling it accross my back. Plans and such to follow once it's done and I deem it a success.

• Supporters

Here's my attempt :)

a19de75c.jpg

Not the greatest pic I know

Somewhat clearer shot of the belt kit

ffbb0589.jpg

• Supporters

Made it ;) aswell as customising a viper la assault vest for the belt kit, b*llocks to cutting up a £100 blackhawk rig ala the films costume department :P

Thats a cracking loadout you had Nutster, why didn't you skrim in it? Also, where did you get your ALICE from? I got parts from Soldier of Fortune and other parts from Flecktarn.com but they have a very plasticy appearance not like yours (I'm assuming this is the difference between clones and real kit).

Picture of the M14 as promised :

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a540/TeddyBhoy/IMG-20131205-00237_zps6267de2c.jpg?t=1386280422

Excuse the poor lighting.

• Supporters

Didn't really suit my 'home site' what with it being woodland :P although swapping the dcu for some m81 and I'd have had a feasible panamar loadout but I needed cash so I sold some of the bits, like the armour and helmet, I've still got most of it.

Everything accept the buttpack is real, I struggled like hell to track down a real lc-2 one but only ever found 'nam era lc-1 style buttpacks then a replica popped up at a reasonable price :)

I had the same pain trying to find a buttpack, I ended up getting a replica for around £25. I'm going to take some sandpaper to it all to dry and dull the shine.

I really wish the real stuff was easier to get here, any stuff I have found has been in dreadful condition lol.

On the subject of ALICE webbing, can anyone tell me what this pouch s and what it is used for? I've seen it without the PTT in a lot of pictures so I'm unsure if it is for radio equipment. (I'm aware a FFD pouch usually sits here, but what is this 100MPH tape jobby? )

831e3920-2022-4fa8-bf4f-eb7e3083334a_zps

• Supporters

Looks like a strobe pouch? It's probably held on with the 100mph tape ;)

Also this is the armour your after for delta, completely different from ranger armour, not sure if anywhere has it in stock anymore though

V-05C_3.jpgV-05C_4.jpg

It's called seal 2000 armour

Just gave that a quick google and it does appear to be a Strobe pouch, cheers mate!

Rap4UK have the Seal 2000 armour for £84

http://www.rap4uk.com/SEAL-2000-Body-Armor-p/263.htm

Do you think a Flyye PACA in black would ruin the look? Any recognisable differences RE the bottom half would be covered with a chest rig.

Also, does anyone know what the black armour the Rangers are seen in is then? It doesn't look like the Seal armour, nor can I find anything about RBA or PAGST being produced in black.

Right guys, I've been doing some digging RE the Rangers in black vests (been up all night looking actually) and I've read there just wasn't enough RBA in Woodland to go round, so some of the Rangers were given the Seal vests being used by Delta.

Sounds simple enough right? But no...

I've also found some RBA in black, Guarder even used to make a replica... Mistake by Guarder or was this actually produced? Googling it hasn't brought me any joy.

In conclusion, I'm going to go with a Flyye PACA in black because it's the most suitable of what I can get my hands on. It should work fine for Delta, with no visual differences once the chestrig etc. is worn. My only worry is that it might look a bit naff if I wanted to use it for a Ranger loadout, was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

was hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Yea I'm trying this with loads of things and at some point you have to compromise on realism or everything will just cost a lot of money!

It's a right ol' pain in the ar*se aint it mate; especialy where I'm such a realism freak but also skint at the moment lol.

I've been doing some research into the m72 Law idea, it looks pretty easy to make in all honesty. Once I've done the christmas shop I'll pop down to Wickes and get started.

• 8 months later...

Apologies for the necro post, if you guys are still active can you point me in the direction of a choc chip helmet cover in the UK? Really struggling

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.