Pre-Skirmish Rituals?

Junglespy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm interested to know what routines/rituals people go through before they skirmish at the weekend or on an evening. I'm not sure if mine's a bit overkill or whatnot so I'll share it:

During the week for a weekend skirmish

- Trawl the usual kit/gear sites to see if I fancy anything new or shiny to play with

- Check that mid caps are empty

- Completely unpack rucksack/kitbag so there's nothing left and no grime/dirt/scum

- Decide on loadout (depends on what the team fancy doing as well)

- Re-trawl through aforementioned kit/gear sites to view anything I want for new loadout

- Spend most of my time at work browsing forums and making mental lists of stuff I'll take at the weekend

Weekend Arrives (Sunday Skirmish)

- Go to local surplus store - pick up pyro/bbs/gas

- Spend a couple of hours packing kit into clean empty kitbag - kneepads/gas/bbs/eye pro/face protection

- Charge batteries

- Test AEGs/Pistol with a couple of mags each

- Re-check packed kit and make sure I haven't left anything ridiculously obvious out

- Add optics and AEG Accessories and put AEGs in Rifle Bag

- Check MOLLE pouches/strapping for weak/broken straps and move depending on comfort with loadout

- Get changed and go t' pub

Sunday Skirmish Day

- Good, cooked breakfast

- Skirmish

- Carvery/KFC Bucket

I think I've gone OTT for this weekend's shoot because I've been in India working for 6 weeks and it's my first fix in nearly 3 months. Can't bloody wait.

• Supporters

nope, I just have things organised in the bag in such a way that I can rock up, pull out the plate carrier/chest rig/belt that I need and get going.

I'm always running a bit late with everything so I hardly ever have time to faff about with kit so I just make sure it's all good to go.

Same here, normally my kit is good to go. But that's because I don't have much to carry, it all carried on the gun, 2 hi-caps attatched is the only extra thing I have to carry and a battery apart from the gun and BB's. So I usually just watch some films like black hawk down the night before. Simple.

Until I get more kit ;)

nope, I just have things organised in the bag in such a way that I can rock up, pull out the plate carrier/chest rig/belt that I need and get going.

I'm always running a bit late with everything so I hardly ever have time to faff about with kit so I just make sure it's all good to go.

Cool man. Like the simplistic approach

Same here, normally my kit is good to go. But that's because I don't have much to carry, it all carried on the gun, 2 hi-caps attatched is the only extra thing I have to carry and a battery apart from the gun and BB's. So I usually just watch some films like black hawk down the night before. Simple.

Until I get more kit ;)

One of the downsides to collecting gear I guess. If I pay for it, I want to use it at some point to get my money's worth!

I have different bags for different uses.

If I'm going Mountain biking I have a bag that has all the stuff I need to go in there. So when I go I just pick up that bag knowing that it's ready packed.

I will do the same with Airsoft (First skirmish soon) I will just have all my airsoft related stuff ready packed. so in the morning I just pick up that pack & off I go.

• Supporters

The night before I un-pack all my stuff, then put it all away again. Still don't know why I bother but I've always done it and sort of enjoy it so stick to it :D

In the morning of the game, I make sure I know where I'm going, remember to pick up any friends who need it and find a burger king.

>Bathe my bbs in the blood of my enemies

>Insert every single BB into each mag and speedloader one by one by hand while saying 'six millimeter BB,highly polished' each time

>Sacrifice a Psyker for the god emperor.

>In secret,away from the commissar(So i won't get blammed for heresy),spill blood for the blood god and collect skulls for the skull throne

>Operate operationally

>????

>Flee to south africa when the commonwealth find out about the book...

>the book...

>what's in the book?

>I MUST NOT THINK ABOUT THE BOOK

>bathe my bbs in the blood of my enemies

>Insert every single BB into each mag and speedloader one by one by hand while saying 'six millimeter BB,highly polished' each time

>Sacrifice a Psyker for the god emperor.

>In secret,away from the commissar,spill blood for the blood god and collect skulls for the skull throne

>Operate operationally

>????

>Flee to south africa when the commonwealth find out about the book...

the book...

what's in the book?

I MUST NOT THINK ABOUT THE BOOK

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

***Backs away***

• Supporters

- Trawl some unusual websites to see if I fancy anything new or shiny to play with

- Check that the dungeon is clean

- Completely unpack bottom drawer so there's nothing left and no grime/dirt/scum

- Decide on costume (depends on what the victim fancies doing as well)

- Re-trawl through aforementioned websites to view anything I want for new costume

- Spend most of my spare time browsing forums and drooling over ideas for the weekend

- Oh damn...

...you know what I've done? Got confused by the mention of rituals! All that above is for a normal weekend O_o :P;)

No, for a skirmish I adjust my meds regimen to try to make sure I get enough pain free rest the day before so that, even if I don't sleep much the night before (which often happens), I'll be in reasonable condition the morning of the skirmish. I like to make sure my loadout is fit for purpose a few days in advance, so I can sort any problems out in good time, or change my plan. I've often got some gun fettling to do - some new bits I want to try out, or something which broke and needs looking at, but these days I've just about got enough guns that I dont need to stress out about that so much as I used to. Day before I charge my batteries. My bergen gets packed a bit at a time on the day before. Always buy 2L water, mint humbugs, & caramel digestives, plus make 2 cheese and leaves butties.

Night before I eat a slow release carbs heavy meal late in the eve, because I find it difficult to eat 1st thing. I book a cab for the morning and put everything which I can't pack in my bag, because I'll want it handy, on my bedside table so I can stick it all in my pockets without having to think much when I wake up. Then I tape my ankles with 50mm fabric plaster and a stirrup of 50mm Micropore tape and put on a thin pair of M&S socks to keep the tape from getting caught or peeled - this is to make 100% certain that I will not get blisters on the backs of my ankles, b/c I'm very prone to them there (very prominent Achilles' Tendons) and don't wear my boots often enough these days for my feet to toughen back up like they used to be.

05:30 - Alarm goes off; I swear; make a fag and smoke it greedily. Put something on the telly quietly - the radio, or a YT playlist, sometimes Big Bang Theory

05:33 - Take morning meds; get out of bed; put kettle on; piss; shower cap on; shower; sometimes my shave needs going over; Dax Wax my hair so it's easier to keep out of my eyepro/mask during the day; see to teeth.

05:45 - Make brew; make and smoke 2nd fag while I get dressed in my loadout.

05:50 - I put a thick pair of socks on over the thin ones for comfort inside my boots and, when all is well, slow down (I have a tendency to stress out when I'm getting prepped for pretty much anything, so I take a moment to centre my thoughts on the day and smile in anticipation).

05:55 - Have another fag and put my boots on.

06:00 - I should have everything sorted by this point, but often I haven't: there'll be something which I need to pack, or repack, or my hair will have needed washing and drying, or maybe I'll have discovered that my hydro=bladder still has water in it from yonks ago and has been channelling the primordial soup - no bother though because...

06:10 - Cab arrives to take me to Stefs.

06:30 - Arrive @Stefs

06:35 - Set off for Skirmish; stop on the way for a brew; arrive @Skirmish disgustingly early, but it gives me time to organise my shite at a comfortable pace and also leave loading my midcaps until that morning...

Obviously if I'm going somewhere else, it'll be different. Sometimes I've had to get up earlier, sometimes there's no point going to bed; when the bus used to run early enough to get me to Skirmish in time on a Sat am, I could get up @07:20... oh how little I appreciated those 2hrs :lol:

• Supporters

Get up the day before, sit on the internet or playing Battlefield until it's wayyyy too close to the time I ought to go to bed in order to get up in time to not screw up all my time planning for the next day...

Continue messing around doing nothing for a further 2 or 3 hours...

Notice it's now about half 2 in the morning, or even as late as 4am on a few occasions, and I've done nothing...

Go upstairs, put batteries on charge, check kit, lob it all in a bag, go to bed and sleep like a log until about 6/7 depending on the site I'm attending.

Get up, put batteries in bag, leave house hurriedly for traditional pre-Skirmish McDonalds.

Each and every time, I tell myself to start getting ready sooner, but it just doesn't happen. The worst thing I've ever forgotten is my wallet... So it's a good job I know the site owners and have generous friends lol.

I like this one.

Gives me the giggles just visualising it...

Its worth kissing them as well before insertion ..

:-)

By the time you finished with the bottle, you've missed the game..

Thanks Ian; nice to know somebody is also as meticulous as myself.

The rest of these posts are just as interesting too. I've made mistakes in the past and forgotten wallet/bbs and my mate has forgotten his rig and boots so now I just prepare as much as I can.

• Supporters

I am so forgetful and disorganised usually that the only way I can do anything which requires me to turn up somewhere with certain equipment is to start getting ready at least a day in advance, so that when it comes to walking out the door, I literally just have to grab my wallet, fags, lighter, reading glasses, & keys.

But yeah, i've forgotten batteries, mags, comms, and elbow pads before...

• Supporters

Nothing really, try to remember to book on a place

Actually book on my place.

Remind self to charge batteries

Sunday Skirmish Day

Wake up

Swear a lot, remembering that I never charged my batteries

Looks like It's another VSR day today! oh darn :P

Get in car and go.

Actual ritual,one day before the match usually.

-Quickly swab the barrels of both my guns. I keep the hop and barrel meticulously clean,unlike the rest of the gun!

-Wash BBs.

-Zero in the scope before the game,because the fookin' thing can't keep a zero for a few days! It's fine when I'm banging it off rocks,but leaving it on my shelf? NOOOPE.

-Load/gas all my mags,for the VSR I shove in .28s but leave in 3 .2s for the chrono in one mag.

-Lay out all my kit in a neat pile so I can fire it on quickly in the morning.

-Make sandwiches and leave them in the fridge to collect in the morning

-Pack all the guns,ammo and other spare bits of kit like tools in a gunbag and rucksack

-Prep the bike/wake up parent for a lift. Site usually lets me sign in myself for normal skrim days,when I take the bike, but they need my parent's signature for MILSIMS.

When I wake up on the day I just get everything on,have breakfast and head off.

• Supporters

-Zero in the scope before the game,because the fookin' thing can't keep a zero for a few days! It's fine when I'm banging it off rocks,but leaving it on my shelf? NOOOPE.

Surely you mean:

- airsoft-forums the scope before the game,because the fookin' thing can't keep a zero for a few days! It's fine when I'm banging it off rocks,but leaving it on my shelf? NOOOPE.

- Trawl some unusual websites to see if I fancy anything new or shiny to play with

- Check that the dungeon is clean

- Completely unpack bottom drawer so there's nothing left and no grime/dirt/scum

- Decide on costume (depends on what the victim fancies doing as well)

- Re-trawl through aforementioned websites to view anything I want for new costume

- Spend most of my spare time browsing forums and drooling over ideas for the weekend

- Oh damn...

...you know what I've done? Got confused by the mention of rituals! All that above is for a normal weekend O_o :P;)

No, for a skirmish I adjust my meds regimen to try to make sure I get enough pain free rest the day before so that, even if I don't sleep much the night before (which often happens), I'll be in reasonable condition the morning of the skirmish. I like to make sure my loadout is fit for purpose a few days in advance, so I can sort any problems out in good time, or change my plan. I've often got some gun fettling to do - some new bits I want to try out, or something which broke and needs looking at, but these days I've just about got enough guns that I dont need to stress out about that so much as I used to. Day before I charge my batteries. My bergen gets packed a bit at a time on the day before. Always buy 2L water, mint humbugs, & caramel digestives, plus make 2 cheese and leaves butties.

Night before I eat a slow release carbs heavy meal late in the eve, because I find it difficult to eat 1st thing. I book a cab for the morning and put everything which I can't pack in my bag, because I'll want it handy, on my bedside table so I can stick it all in my pockets without having to think much when I wake up. Then I tape my ankles with 50mm fabric plaster and a stirrup of 50mm Micropore tape and put on a thin pair of M&S socks to keep the tape from getting caught or peeled - this is to make 100% certain that I will not get blisters on the backs of my ankles, b/c I'm very prone to them there (very prominent Achilles' Tendons) and don't wear my boots often enough these days for my feet to toughen back up like they used to be.

05:30 - Alarm goes off; I swear; make a fag and smoke it greedily. Put something on the telly quietly - the radio, or a YT playlist, sometimes Big Bang Theory

05:33 - Take morning meds; get out of bed; put kettle on; piss; shower cap on; shower; sometimes my shave needs going over; Dax Wax my hair so it's easier to keep out of my eyepro/mask during the day; see to teeth.

05:45 - Make brew; make and smoke 2nd fag while I get dressed in my loadout.

05:50 - I put a thick pair of socks on over the thin ones for comfort inside my boots and, when all is well, slow down (I have a tendency to stress out when I'm getting prepped for pretty much anything, so I take a moment to centre my thoughts on the day and smile in anticipation).

05:55 - Have another fag and put my boots on.

06:00 - I should have everything sorted by this point, but often I haven't: there'll be something which I need to pack, or repack, or my hair will have needed washing and drying, or maybe I'll have discovered that my hydro=bladder still has water in it from yonks ago and has been channelling the primordial soup - no bother though because...

06:10 - Cab arrives to take me to Stefs.

06:30 - Arrive @Stefs

06:35 - Set off for Skirmish; stop on the way for a brew; arrive @Skirmish disgustingly early, but it gives me time to organise my shite at a comfortable pace and also leave loading my midcaps until that morning...

Obviously if I'm going somewhere else, it'll be different. Sometimes I've had to get up earlier, sometimes there's no point going to bed; when the bus used to run early enough to get me to Skirmish in time on a Sat am, I could get up @07:20... oh how little I appreciated those 2hrs :lol:

Best autobiography I have ever read!

:D

Archived