OP: Shining Light @Copehill Down FIBUA Village VENUE CHANGED TO SENNYBRIDGE

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I'd go in for something like that, I'd probably take a repeat ish of your order. 4Bangs 8Shmokes= :ph34r:

That will depend on if I get another BFG for Christmas.

I would probably want 6 bangs, 6 smokes. If someones collating a bulk order, bear in mind I cannot do paypal.

• Supporters

Dya not think you'll have your PayPal sorted out by May, Russ?

I expect to be rocking blank firers as well, but I'll want pyro-bangs to which to attach electric dets...

and just in case I need another bang when I haven't time to reload whatever BFG i plump for, or trip mine etc

I'm planning on fully going there with the whole asymmetric warfare malarky.

Dya not think you'll have your PayPal sorted out by May, Russ?

I expect to be rocking blank firers as well, but I'll want pyro-bangs to which to attach electric dets...

and just in case I need another bang when I haven't time to reload whatever BFG i plump for, or trip mine etc

I'm planning on fully going there with the whole asymmetric warfare malarky.

I tried when I first had the problem but gave up as it was sapping my will to live. I would be able to do bank transfers, send amazon or favourite airsoft retailer vouchers or just about anything other than paypal.

• Supporters

Well I'm sure we can work something out in the time we have. I mean really, if we can't we'd best throw the towel in and admit that we need remedial parenting or something... putting down like sick runty mutts maybe :lol:

• Supporters

Hmmm... some bits look like semi-rural Pennsylvania, but I dunno about a US suburb.

It would be nice to put those bloody colonials back where they belong though - under a Red Coat's jackboot :lol:

Well its lots of open space to cover and then indoor fighting.

My shopping list keeps growing. I'm going to need new knee and elbow pads, vest and pouches as mine are woodland/DPM camo. I will need a pistol (probably a MK23 Socom) and holster. A small backpack will be handy, preferably capable of holding a camelback. I guess radio's will be useful?

A BFG may be a good idea too. I may also look into making an MG36 out of a long G36 with bipod and a drum mag in case we find we need a support gunner rather than a sneaky git with an MP5 :)

For a radio I was looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BPNUJDY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AP0J6OODYXJE

seems a bit better quality than most of the other radios in this price bracket but has to be programmed with a PC cable which costs a couple of quid. You can buy them in sets of 1, 2, 3 or 5 and they come with an earpiece. If we're going to use radios and anyone else needs one, maybe I could trade radios for nades, that way we get them cheaper and only need one data cable, plus it would solve the previously mentioned paypal issue :D

• Supporters

Problem there, Russ mate. They're the wrong radios. You need a License Free PMR446 handset. If budget is your main priority then Motorola TLKR T5 or T6 are the cheapest you can buy brand new that I can recommend. You can find them for less than £50 for a pair with a charging dock and NiMh batteries included. If you want absolute best quality/quid and peace of mind, but still on a budget, then buying a single reconditioned Motorola XTR446 with a shorter warranty period than brand new is the way forward.

They are extremely rugged so you can be confident that, having left a retailer who knows what they're up to, a reconditioned handset will not give you any problems for the foreseeable future. Average price is about £30-35 for one on its own, no battery or charging dock - you don't actually need those though b/c they run better on 4 decent alkaline AAA batteries than the rechargeable ones anyway - but you can obviously use 4 AAA rechargeable ones and charge them on an ordinary charger, rather than the NiMh battery pack, which is 4 AAA's shrink wrapped together...

You could always get one or a pair of handsets 2nd hand from a private fleabay auction, in which case you should consider Motorola XTNi, XTNiD, XTN446, XTR446, TLKR T5-10 and Midland G5 & G7. The more expensive Kenwood ones are fine too, in as much as that their build quality is good enough that you can be reasonably confident that 2nd hand ones will be cool for a long while yet. Do be aware however that by far the most commonly available connector for accessories such as headsets, in ear monitoring, police stylee clip on speaker/mic, etc is the 2.5mm TRS jack, commonly referred to as a Motorola Connector. The Midlands and Kenwoods use 2 pin jobs which can cause damage to the female sockets if the cable gets yanked in a way which causes the plug to want to twist. Bear in mind also that Motorola make and farm out the making of their own chips, which gives them a competitive edge due to economies of scale - basically you get a better chip for the same money from them than from anybody else making handsets.

In terms of headsets, I'll be using my Z-Tactical EVO II Bowman probably, although I may upgrade to an EVO III so I can swap the mic out for one which connects to an S10 Respirator. Then again, I'm starting to have a real craving for a pair of real steel Sordins. The EVO III isn't that expensive compared to the ear hanger and in ear types - about £25-30 including a PTT, something like £16.50-18 on their own. I'd encourage you to get a proper headset rather than a cheap clip on or in ear solution because the audio quality is better for the same price bracket and they are way more rugged. I'd also steer you clear of throat mics, unless you want to spend £150+ on a military surplus one. Why? Because the audio quality is shite compared to a boom mic.

re: the rest of your kit - the team colours only apply to your clothing, not your rig, so you don't need to buy new stuff, but yeah, if you can afford it, a whole new compatible loadout is always going to tickle the dressing up bone better than DPM PLCE over DDPM BDU's / etc. If you're interested in night gear compatible pads, I will shortly have a pair of Viper black knee pads and Hatch Centurion (the pads of champions) black elbow pads for sale. The only reason I'm selling them is because I managed to pick up a full set of black Hatch Centurions recently at a very agreeable price.

They are PMR446 if you program them to be. It's just that they are imported set up for a different standard, hence the need for the data cable. PMR446 is a European standard and the radios are imported from outside Europe.

• Supporters

Yeah but they are over powered for the UK use on PMR 446.

Check out the link, section 5, the ones you are looking at are 5W power and you aren't allowed to use anything over 500mW on PMR446.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra357.htm

• Supporters

PMR446 is yank as well as euro i think.

Nah, yanks have a different system.

Anyway, the principle still stands. Most Radios come in pairs so if anyone wants me to buy a radio and pay me back with nades and smoke....

What sort of screwed up world is it, where you can get a more powerful, better made radio for a fraction of the price, only to be told you can't use it? :angry:

• Supporters

One where you could get a licence from Ofcom (£75 ish I believe for 3 years) which would give you a set of "private" frequencies to use as an organisation which would also allow you to use a much higher power rating.

I did a bit of digging, the Baofeng 888 radio apparently doesn't do the frequencies for licenced use :)

It can however be programmed to use a low power mode when you are setting up the channels. The guys on various radio forums believe this would make it legal. They also believe that doing this is pointless as the rules on the power of PMR radios are never enforced. Given the number of these being sold on ebay as PMR446 radios, this would seem to be true.

• Supporters

^^Oh yeah, that's certainly true about enforcement. It's actually damn difficult to enforce anywhere but in a city, where it's not necessary to send groups of people with triangulation equipment out into the countryside to pick out i) the venue and ii) the particular law breaking user/s out of a bunch of 0.5W transmitters. But as a forum we can't be seen to recommend breaking the law, you know? That is legally conspiracy to commit the offence, I believe.

• 1 month later...

##### URGENT PLEASE READ #####

Good Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

As some of you may be aware Copehill Down is about to undergo a £2 million update and refurbishment, We have now been informed that unfortunately due to refurbishment start date being delayed it will not be completed before our current event date, and then the village is in use over the summer for a major training exercise. Since yesterday I have been chasing around to find an alternative! We have been in touch with Sennybridge and the FIBUA village is available on the dates of our event and booked by us. The event will have to be relocated to Sennybridge FIBUA Village instead of Copehill Down.

We fully appreciate that this change may not be convenient to you all, and we would greatly appreciate your support in accepting this change, Of course if you cannot accept the change please let us know within the next 2 weeks and we will refund your deposit, all deposits will be valid for the change to Sennybridge unless a refund is requested.

Sennybridge will allow camping/ sleeping in vehicles, and has a larger open area for this (no open fires). We will ensure that hot water is readily available to everyone (burco)

There will be at least one large building for those who can’t camp.

NOTE: THE MOD WILL NOT ALLOW ALCOHOL TO BE CONSUMED ON SITE AT SENNYBRIDGE, WE HAVE NEVER HAD THIS IMPOSED ON US BEFORE BUT AFTER EVENTS AT ANOTHER OPERATORS GAME LAST YEAR I THINK THIS WILL NOW BE THE NORM.

To date we have been very lucky as a company and have only ever had this event bumped (although twice now!) and as always we must accept and comply to the needs of the MOD and our troops.

We can only apologise for this inconvenience and we are as gutted as you all, as we are looking forward to this event as well!

As you will appreciate we will only have the leading parties E-mail address so can you please make all our your friends aware that have booked in for OP: Shining Light.

Kind Regards

Charlotte Bowskill

Brit Tac Events

Hmm, I may need a lift from Bristol. I could get within easy cycling distance of copehill by train, Sennybridge may be more tricky. Nearest station would require 2 train changes and take 4 hours.

• Supporters

Yeah, I was planning on train & bus to Copehill - I dunno about Sennybridge. I've emailed Charlotte to let her know I still want to go but transport is the issue, so maybe she'll have something helpful for me/us.

I'll edit the title of this thread to reflect the new situation.

I am travelling from Peterborough so its changed my travelling time by car from 3hrs to 4hrs, not toooooo bad really!

If anyone is close to me or I can get to on route, let me know!

NB: If you aren't on the HAS-MAD side, I may drop you off somewhere remote to give us the advantage....never trust a rebel!

• Supporters

At this point it looks like I wont be going any more! Bugger it!

It's turned a 2hr each way drive into over 4hrs each way. And I was really looking forward to this one. Problem is my May filled up and it was doable if I could use the sunday afternoon to do planning and prep for school, and that the year 11's were going to be on study leave. Now that all wont be happening I don't think I can justify close to 9 hrs in a car.

Will have to have a serious think about it.

• Supporters

I'm sure I could meet you en route, Sarge. Maybe Tamworth before the M54 or Leicester before the M69?

My original plan was train to Warminster and then cycle the rest of the way. It would have been a few miles and some hills but I would have lots of time to do it and several possible pub stops along the way.

Bristol to Warminster requires no train changes. Train changes are a killer if you have to load up a bike, move platforms (hoping there might be a lift) then unload the bike and get everything on a train.

The closest station to FIBUA Sennybridge would be Cynghordy. To get there requires changing at either Newport or Cardiff to get to Swansea, then change at Swansea. The last 2 legs are probably a small 2-3 coach trains where reserving bike space is impossible so I would guess I will be standing supporting the bike. I would be in no shape to cycle fully loaded to the site at the end of that. I could maybe forget the bike if I could get transport from the station.

Or Abergavenny is only 1.5 hrs by train instead of 4, if anyone is passing that way with room :)

Archived