Stripping paint...

clumpyedge
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

got a real bargin on a two tone, scraped it carefully with a screwdriver.. looks very worn, for the better or worse.. and still tiny fragments of green, but nothing one can see unless inspecting it closely.

• 2 weeks later...

What's wrong with sand paper ? ... I Use a drimmel sander all the time to strip paint from guns, and it const a fraction of paint stripper ....

It's just a gun.. it takes like ½ hour to strip with a good machine ....

• Supporters

What's wrong with sand paper ? ... I Use a drimmel sander all the time to strip paint from guns, and it const a fraction of paint stripper ....

It's just a gun.. it takes like ½ hour to strip with a good machine ....

If you try and strip paint off a plastic part with a dremel you won't have much part left afterwards.

Depends if you're trying to remove Krylon that's been ham-fistedly sprayed on by an amateur or the factory paint down to bare metal.

Stripping with a machine or sand paper will damage the surface and on a component with any raised parts will damage them as well.

Paint in small recesses can't be removed .

Stripping with a chemical that doesn't attack the part will remove the paint with no damage at all even in recesses and around small details.

Foaming oven cleaner is the best stuff to use.

Put the parts in a carrier bag, squirt in the cleaner making sure there is a good coverage then after 19 mins give it a scrub with an old toothbrush and a good rinse.

As always test on a small area first in case it does attack the plastic.

I have used it for years on plastic and resin model kits.

If you try and strip paint off a plastic part with a dremel you won't have much part left afterwards.

Ahh okay ... I see the point :-) Damaging plastic with a machine is not sonethig you want .... I Gues I'm just to used to full metal guns that i forgot that some still use plastic .... :-)

But hey I'm no painter I'm only a tech guy (dooing some minor sprays onece in a while when someone asks me ...) ...

Even metal will be marked or damaged by a dremel

I think that may depent on what grinding tool you attach at the end of the dremel ... I havent had any damages yet (used this method on 4 guns to date, with a soft sand paper attachment ) ... Maby I have microscopic surface damages that are just hidden with the paint (how knows) but for simple grind off and respray mat black all the guns i have made has made my freinds happy so ....

I thing i will go home and one of the next days take my dremel with the sand paper attachement and just hold it steady in the same position for 2-3 minuts (way more than you need to strip paint) and se what kind of "dremel destruction damage / zombie paint armagedon" I can get out of it :-)

Kind of the "Hell no... The profecionals must be wrong. I can do much better than them.." approch :-) I will post some pictures on the dremel destruction when I'm done ...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived