MP5 DMR project

TacMaster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright, cheers Ian. I thought this would be a monumental project but the only problem I can see is installation (not opened my MP5's GB before) but I'll see if the tech at my local site could open 'er up and do the transplants, rather than me screw things up :)

Either that or risk irreparably damaging my oldest ally.

• Supporters

According to Ed, V2 GB's are pigs and so far I've been inclined to accept that as good reason to not bother building an MP5 myself (it's a gun which I would like, SD6 probably), or snap up any of the M4 bargains I've seen and do 'em up to sell on. Having learned my lesson by trashing my CM.028U, I plan on getting a V2 GB on it's own to mess with before I try one in a gun I actually want.

Update: opened the GB up yesterday evening, it's actually a lot less complicated than I thought it would be. It isn't that much of a pig to work on until you try closing the damned thing, but I'm fairly confident I can get the new parts into it and get it working properly.

Although I have to say, the chinese factories literally cake their GBs in grease- almost as if they got one of those icing pipettes and just literally covered the inside of the case with it! :D

edit: This look like a happy gearbox?

sg77kg.jpg

• Supporters

Looks good to me, could do with a bit of a clean and the see through tappet plate confused me but apart from that it's all good!

One thing to definitely watch out for though is the wiring at the bottom not getting caught by the pinion gear on your motor, because that'll ruin your day!

• Supporters

One thing to definitely watch out for though is the wiring at the bottom not getting caught by the pinion gear on your motor, because that'll ruin your day!

This. I've managed to do it with every V2 gearbox I've ever opened, apart from 1.

Yeah, I've been working on that. Probably going to do a sticky tape fix on it- nothing permanent, as I'm going to replace it with some 16AWG as part of the servicing :)

I've found a decent barrel extension as well: MP5 Barrel Extension

It's a little pricey for what it is though- I could probably make one tailored to my needs, but I lack a way of coating it in black oxide.

Fair enough, I've got about 1/2 a can of matte black left over from other projects so that'll have to do. I'm not bad on a lathe (see The Epic Thread lol) and I have access to them and a lot of duralumin for a few hours a week, so it's just a matter of asking my workshop teacher @ college.

My engineering tutor gave me a big fat no when I mentioned using college materials for a project of my own- he said the budget was pretty tight after the department moved into their brand new building. Which is fair enough.

So I bought myself a basic suppressor- little more than a 17cm aluminium tube, with a 14mm hole going all the way through it and an internal thread on each end. I'm going to widen one of the threads to 120mm diameter and possibly turn part of it down to the end of the internal thread, so it can fit into the front sight.

My replacement crimp contacts arrived as well- they quoted the wrong amount on the ebay page, so the packet contained 25 instead of 10- gives me much more room for error :D

Archived