Night game+flashlight help

Woodyjw
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi im attending my first night game on saterday so i decided i need a flashlight, my clubs rules say the flashlight has to be the same or less than 2 cells but I dont know what that means, i was looking at the Ultrafire C8 Q5 ris flashlight does the C8 mean 8 cells? :S. Also is there anything else i might need for it. Before someone says it i cant afford NVGs

Did wonder if this might work as night vision?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spy-Gear-Ultimate-Night-Vision/dp/B00D6N8V18/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1RI6T34GETFQH&coliid=I3VD749V1VLYPJ

It might work well enough to give someone a slight advantage.

It probably wouldn't, those kid's NVG toys do nothing- even if it did offer any advantage, the slightest knock or one hit from a high FPS weapon would damage it as the body looks like cheap kid's toys plastic.

2 cells? would think that means two batteries but I really wouldn't know... contact them and ask? or find a edc forum? I think C8 is a model name?

As for night visions, be it nerf or military issue, I can't imagine it being very useful in airsoft, seeing how everyone uses 100-2000 lumen torches.

Sounds like two batteries to me also. IMHO not a very good way to spec and limit a torch as it covers a wide range of illuminations. I have a couple of powerful XENON torches, one I use for emitting black light and they are both 2 cell. Conversely you could buy a weaker LED one and it would still comply.

• Supporters

No reason why you couldn't turn up with a lamping torch as that's only one cell, and they are brighter than car headlamps.

• Supporters

Why is there a limit on the cells of the torch anyway?

• Supporters

C8 and Q5 are both models of torches - they both take 1 x "size 18650" 3.7-4.2V LiPo Cell, although a C8 can accept an extension tube to allow it to use 2 x 18650's. You totally should check what they mean by "2 Cell" because 2 rechargeable AA's means 2.4V, 2 Alkalines = 3V both of which alternatives will power something only good enough to see where you're going pretty much right in front of you, but a C8 with 2 18650's will give you a completely clear view of anything in the centre of the beam up to at least 80m and pretty good illumination from the dimmer spill around the main beam. There's also a cheap 2 x 18650 Zoomable Torch which will throw a focussed beam at least 120m (be warned however that the one I bought stopped working properly within 2hrs of use and now, instead of 5 modes, is stuck on full power or off - I have ordered another one though, they're that good - from this seller on ebay.com rather than ebay.co.uk you can get probably the world's best price per lumen on torches, but it takes about 2 weeks to arrive).

There are a few torches which take 3 or 4 18650's, or have a built in monster LiPo wired to several CREE XML T6 LED's in parallel, which are best categorised as pocket stars - it may just be these which the organisers are intending to forbid. Then again, a 3V limit could be interesting too - much better for keeping your night vision if you go far enough around a flank on a stealth maneuver.

Top Tip: if you mount a torch on your gun then put it on the same side of the gun as your dominant hand, so on the right if you're right handed. This is so that when people see your light and shoot at it, they will be shooting at the right hand edge of the target you present, whereas if you put it on the left of your gun, they will be shooting at your centre mass.

Archived