Bringing an RIF into the UK as a non-UK citizen

SteveNL
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, I have a question regarding the laws surrounding the legality of bringing an RIF into the UK as a non-UK citizen.

First off, I am from the Netherlands. I plan to visit a friend in Portsmouth in the spring/summer, and we'd love to go to a few skirms together, however I am not sure whether or not I can bring my own RIF with me from Holland to the UK. I read a post somewhere on our own forums a few months ago about a guy who got through Heathrow customs with his, although I can't seem to find it anymore, so I figured I'd just come to you guys, since I assume that you know your own laws better than we do.

So, to summarize,

1) Is it possible to bring an RIF into the country as a foreigner?

2) If so, what are the precise details?

Thank you very much in advance,

Steve

i will put that question to my bro who is a customs officer at an airport so he should know. i know for uk citizens its easier if you have ukara. do you have any membership numbers or anything to show them??

i will put that question to my bro who is a customs officer at an airport so he should know. i know for uk citizens its easier if you have ukara. do you have any membership numbers or anything to show them??

I am a member of the Nederlandse Airsoft Belangen Vereniging, which is the national authority which regulates airsoft here in the Netherlands. I could potentially also bring receipts and what not as "proof of reservation" to show that I have a reason to bring them.

EDIT: Thank you very much.

I used to live in Germany near Monchengladbach which was only 20 minutes from the German / Dutch border.

When travelling back to the UK with my kit I would drive through Holland, Belgium and France.

I would always take the Dunkirk to Dover Ferry with DFDS seaways.

1. Make your ticket booking online as it is cheaper

2. Call customer services with your booking reference and ask for code 100 (carriage of weapons*)

3. After a 5 minute phone call explaining what you have you will be sorted

You will need to remove bolts on GBBRs or batteries for AEGs

Keep them in gun cases out of public view (but with access for inspection)

They will ask if you have licences required - no licence required for UK citizens

They will ask about ammo - telling them 12,000 usually gets a gasp - explain what a BB is!

4. On arrival at the port, declare you have a code 100 on your booking. They may or may not send you for inspection.

On the way out of Dunkirk the stop and search place was always closed. So no inspection.

On the return journey arrive at Dover 30 mins earlier than usual and volunteer yourself for inspection before booking in. You will get a little "security cleared" sticker and be priority loaded, which is nice! If you get to booking in without the security sticker you will be turned back.

* Although not technically weapons, they are treated as the real thing.

So, that is DFDS Ferries. I have not used other methods of transport so I cannot talk as an authority on those, sorry. That said, I would imagine everybody has a similar "you declare, they inspect, you travel" policy.

If you drove you shouldn't have any issues with the EUs free movement of everything. Its just airports which will be difficult

That would be a good solution, but it would be very expensive, not to mention illegal under Dutch law.

about the price -doubt it, cost me about £25 to send a full length metal AEG with accessories to UK to Sweden

Could always post them to your friend before you go.

..or if friend is skirmisher, use his loaner maybe.. saving a lot of hastle, plus would mean it's FPS be UK legal.

They will ask about ammo - telling them 12,000 usually gets a gasp

polls_smiley_300x300_answer_9_xlarge.png

yer im sure if you can bring proof that your bringing them for responsible use

well.. skirmishing :) wouldn't be sure thou, with UK laws around airsoft..

• 3 weeks later...

On another note if you are coming to Portsmouth drop me a line if you want any info or help on the local sites. We also have a couple of good airsoft shops in the city.

Paul

Thank you very much. I'd like to go to Combat South while I'm there, and also the Bunker. I have a friend down there who plays with the university, his name is Thomas, perhaps you know him?

Steve

I've probably been shot by him at some point :) I use both of those sites and they are excellent.The bunker is a must just because it is so unique. Neil who works there very kindly gave a special tour to my wife and some military personel she works with just because of the historical significance. If you are heading for the bunker for an evening game visit Fort Nelson which is the Royal Armouries museum five minutes away as it's free and has everything from a roman balista to the Iraqui super gun.

Paul

Archived