free roam games?

ostrich160
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if there were any free roam kind of sites, so you dont have to be in a team or do certain objectives, it has more of a LARP feel where you just do what you want in a big open playing area, you can team up with people, you might not, that kind of thing. As long as its in the UK, the nearer to Leicester the better. The theme also isnt massively important, but post apoc would be really cool.

So, anyone know any sites that match this?

Ive never heard of LARPing so googled it.

Live Action Role Play

What does that actually mean in context?

isnt all Airsoft a kind of LARP ?

When you say free roaming, do you just mean roaming the field randomly shooting any of the other team you come into contact with ?

I would love it if someone arranged a Dayz style game. Start with no ammo, on a beach and as you move inland trying to find ammo caches, you either team up with people you meet or kill them for their bb's sending them to start again at the beach. If you find a bandage and can use it within 30 secs without getting hit again, you get to live. Add in some zombies and maybe some old bicycles as transport (wheels hidden elsewhere). Make the game last a whole long weekend and people only get to eat what they find and it might get interesting.

It may be impractical to find somewhere large enough to host such a game.

Sounds like a 'Last Man Standing' type of game.

You could set some objectives to be completed some ofwhich need team work, some that can be done alone.

Then let all the players loose to make teams or co-operate as they see fit similar to World of Warcraft maybe?

• Supporters

Turns out our man Cypher is the bloke to speak to...

http://www.gunmanforum.com/index.php?s=6601f922fd8b20c53f9b99078f300901&showforum=171

Sorry I didnt respond, had a lot of work to shift through.

Anyway, what I mean by free roam is that people arent organised into teams, you are just given the open reigns to do what you want in the area for a few hours (or even days!), so no organised games, so all the situations are real and for a reason, so alliances can be formed and lost, so people can be their own play style.

It could open a lot of possibilities. If people were given a few days, some people might defend one particular area, make it a little town, a police force and all sorts, a bit like the walking dead. And within that people could start selling BB's in exchange for food rations, which might be illegal, which would open up a breaking bad style thing, but of course, all this would be up to the players to do (but is done often, look at a game called EVE online for a good example).

So yeh, as I said it doesnt have to be apocalypse, that just makes the costumes more creative and more varied, but anything is fine.

Hopefully I can get some more sites, because if so I might get a good revolver for christmas and when I learn to drive a few months later can go out to these sites and be a kind of raider, depending on how long it is it would be really awesome to form a group of raiders, and then hire more until I have the biggest raider empire on the map!

Yes Im all for alternative concepts to the standard skirmish, but there would have to be some structure, especially in a limited time frame.

Thinking about the practicalities, this would be harder to organise than many other types of Airsoft activity, if people were to come away feeling they got their moneys worth.

Sorry I didnt respond, had a lot of work to shift through.

Anyway, what I mean by free roam is that people arent organised into teams, you are just given the open reigns to do what you want in the area for a few hours (or even days!), so no organised games, so all the situations are real and for a reason, so alliances can be formed and lost, so people can be their own play style.

It could open a lot of possibilities. If people were given a few days, some people might defend one particular area, make it a little town, a police force and all sorts, a bit like the walking dead. And within that people could start selling BB's in exchange for food rations, which might be illegal, which would open up a breaking bad style thing, but of course, all this would be up to the players to do (but is done often, look at a game called EVE online for a good example).

So yeh, as I said it doesnt have to be apocalypse, that just makes the costumes more creative and more varied, but anything is fine.

Hopefully I can get some more sites, because if so I might get a good revolver for christmas and when I learn to drive a few months later can go out to these sites and be a kind of raider, depending on how long it is it would be really awesome to form a group of raiders, and then hire more until I have the biggest raider empire on the map!

Hire more? Save the money and go meet girls, well worth the money.

• Supporters

TBH, if you were planning something like this, starting a player base from scratch rather than trying to muscle into the LARP scene for players and carry some airsofters along for the lols, I think the first event would have to be at least a 12hr thing. You'd need to start with a short-ish game for people to get the idea, maybe 1 1/2hr, then go for a game brief for the main day. I think you'd need at least one, maybe two scheduled break/s so that people who weren't doing so well could re-arm, any issues anyone has brought up with marshals, chance to reassess &/or form new alliances without guns pointed at each other, change gear &/or guns...

I'd be interested in a post apocalyptic thing. I've registered on that forum I linked above, but they require an admin to approve and that hasn't happened yet. Perhaps my reputation precedes me :lol:

• Supporters

Hire more? Save the money and go meet girls, well worth the money.

Or hire girls. Even better value for money!

the fallout game was in ireland, and got cancelled due to lack of players going (wanted to go myself) linky... http://www.airsoftireland.com/forums/index.php/forum/420-fallout-redemption/

but what you are looking really sounds like you need the respawn to surround the site with ammo dispersed throughout the building within hidden in boxes etc. bes of the site being closer to the center(food etc dispersed too, can trade ammo food etc...) it would be cool to do some form of battle royal thing airsoft way. just the ability to form teams is gonna be the hard one to keep in. (ie if the winner is the one that holds the building you are just gonna wait for the enivitable betrayal. all part of the fun i suppose...

It seems you have missed the point a little, which probably means it will never happen. Im not asking if this is viable, Im asking if one currently exists, which by the sounds of things, is rare. So maybe it would be better be looking into larp, perhaps theres such thing as airsoft larp even

• Supporters

It seems you have missed the point a little, which probably means it will never happen. Im not asking if this is viable, Im asking if one currently exists, which by the sounds of things, is rare. So maybe it would be better be looking into larp, perhaps theres such thing as airsoft larp even

Yes, there is. There was that Fallout event. It didn't happen due to lack of support. We have not missed the point, we have accepted facts after our collective Google-fu has failed to find anything else, and having moved on, are now talking about how it could be done...

• Supporters

I ended up on a youtube video of a hunger games style game, everyone started in a circle holding hands unarmed and at the start had to leg it out to find a weapon of some kind, there was everything from pistols and a cold steel hatchet to full assault rifles. Some came loaded others you had to find the mags for. It looked like a giggle but would only work in my eyes as a short game played amongst really good friends.

Gunman does a western themed game that sounds like it is very much along the lines you are thinking of. However its more about your portrayal of a character you have created. you start small and build up, but because of this people are mostly unwilling to have their character killed off too quickly so airsoft action is limited. Check it out, its on the forum Ian linked to but found down the bottom.

Yes, there is. There was that Fallout event. It didn't happen due to lack of support. We have not missed the point, we have accepted facts after our collective Google-fu has failed to find anything else, and having moved on, are now talking about how it could be done...

Oh yeh, sorry, I just meant it doesnt look like theres a very stable group of these kind of events going on, which is a shame...

I ended up on a youtube video of a hunger games style game, everyone started in a circle holding hands unarmed and at the start had to leg it out to find a weapon of some kind, there was everything from pistols and a cold steel hatchet to full assault rifles. Some came loaded others you had to find the mags for. It looked like a giggle but would only work in my eyes as a short game played amongst really good friends.

Gunman does a western themed game that sounds like it is very much along the lines you are thinking of. However its more about your portrayal of a character you have created. you start small and build up, but because of this people are mostly unwilling to have their character killed off too quickly so airsoft action is limited. Check it out, its on the forum Ian linked to but found down the bottom.

Oh they both sound cool, hunger games could be really good if it was a massive event, but then again it would probably be a one time only thing. As for gunman, I'll take a look at that, thanks

• Supporters

Oh yeh, sorry, I just meant it doesnt look like theres a very stable group of these kind of events going on, which is a shame...

No bother. I agree with you. It'd be good if we could get something together. It's possible that RIFT Airsoft would host it, so long as we could demonstrate sufficient interest for it to be worth them opening the place. I vaguely remember something from when I first started looking into airsoft in Feb '12 - it was some kind of post apocalyptic thing set in some unused part of London's Tube and, IIRC, above ground too. I dunno if it happened, or even what the score was TBH, but that would be incredible I think.

Oh they both sound cool, hunger games could be really good if it was a massive event, but then again it would probably be a one time only thing. As for gunman, I'll take a look at that, thanks

Hmmm... massive event... starting unarmed? Would you allow your guns to be put in the game zone for some random person, anonymous in a large group, to find and ab/use? Not me. With friends and friends of friends, yeah, but I mean pretty much by invitation only...

No bother. I agree with you. It'd be good if we could get something together. It's possible that RIFT Airsoft would host it, so long as we could demonstrate sufficient interest for it to be worth them opening the place. I vaguely remember something from when I first started looking into airsoft in Feb '12 - it was some kind of post apocalyptic thing set in some unused part of London's Tube and, IIRC, above ground too. I dunno if it happened, or even what the score was TBH, but that would be incredible I think.

Hmmm... massive event... starting unarmed? Would you allow your guns to be put in the game zone for some random person, anonymous in a large group, to find and ab/use? Not me. With friends and friends of friends, yeah, but I mean pretty much by invitation only...

I had a look at airsoft larp and a lot of them seem to be similar to what Im talking about, the issue is is finding an event, since they dont come all that often.

As for the hunger games, I'd say it'd be better to start armed, and maybe have a 30 second immunity period (I know people could still shoot you but you just dont take the shots until the whistle blows, and there could be a bit of ammo in the middle) but apart from that a big event would be fine for me.

• Supporters

They started unarmed but it was obvious they all knew each other quite well, so as a group of friends in a small dense urban location it worked. Not sure it would work in any other situation really.

Thinking of free-roam scenario games, I'd love to see a game much like a gamemode on Arma called "wasteland"; In which small groups must compete against others to survive by scavenging for ammo, food and vehicles in a large, open sandbox like world where players can do what they want in order to survive.

The limited ammo at the beginning could make people think about what they do and how they do it, and the vehicles would be great as everyone attempts to compete for them.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but if it was well balanced and thought out, I reckon it would work really well and be a great laugh. Especially at a large site such as UCAP's Sandpit

The Sims I've been to have had a free roam element mixed in. Sometime near the middle of the sim,when you are either awaiting further orders or waiting for people on the other side of the site to complete an objective, thus progressing the story and giving you a jerb, you can do whatever you want really,for example:

Have lunch,mess about in general,have shooting competitions,repair guns/vehicles if needed,patrol the nearby area just in case there are some scouts or sneaky bastards around, or pile in a jeep to harass the nearest enemy outpost. Unfortunately messing around and offroading in the jeep is not an option :P

I think my local site did run a S.T.A.L.K.E.R inspired series of sims which had freeroam & survival elements in the early days when they first opened. Hopefully their new format plan for 2014 will include some of those.

• Supporters

Thinking of free-roam scenario games, I'd love to see a game much like a gamemode on Arma called "wasteland"; In which small groups must compete against others to survive by scavenging for ammo, food and vehicles in a large, open sandbox like world where players can do what they want in order to survive.

The limited ammo at the beginning could make people think about what they do and how they do it, and the vehicles would be great as everyone attempts to compete for them.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but if it was well balanced and thought out, I reckon it would work really well and be a great laugh. Especially at a large site such as UCAP's Sandpit

UCAP sandpit has been doing something similar. Can't remember the name or the specifics but its teams of 4 or 6 competing to get to various checkpoints around the whole site. There are strict ammo limits and a hunter force in the WMIK's manned by a dedicated and well organised team. There is a start time and an end time but the idea is to get to as many CP's in the allowed time limit without getting killed or captured. They even had an interrogation element I believe.

There are other sites that have tried things, EAG Worthing has done a game that is normally at night you again navigate to points around the site lightly armed ( basically a pistol, 1 mag, and a single pouch that has a specific kit list, you are searched at the start) you work on your own or in pairs, from a map drawn from memory on a bit of scrap paper, and there is a hunter force trying to capture you. At the various points there are intel drops and you have to decode them, they've been known to use runes and elfish from LOTR.

The Sims I've been to have had a free roam element mixed in. Sometime near the middle of the sim,when you are either awaiting further orders or waiting for people on the other side of the site to complete an objective, thus progressing the story and giving you a jerb, you can do whatever you want really,for example:

Have lunch,mess about in general,have shooting competitions,repair guns/vehicles if needed,patrol the nearby area just in case there are some scouts or sneaky bastards around, or pile in a jeep to harass the nearest enemy outpost. Unfortunately messing around and offroading in the jeep is not an option :P

I think my local site did run a S.T.A.L.K.E.R inspired series of sims which had freeroam & survival elements in the early days when they first opened. Hopefully their new format plan for 2014 will include some of those.

Huh, Honestly I never thought of sim games, really that should have been my first option. The main site I go to, while really good, does lack story and teamwork, we have maybe up to a 2 hour game but we split into groups and from there, theres little to no communication with others and I've never been assigned a job. If there was a story and objectives, and for example my job was to go on patrol and guard an area, I would be loving that. Know any good sim sites to recommend?

Archived