new gun but mag unwinds, please help??

macey1991
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, im a newbie and i have just bought my first gun the ICS G33.

i got the gun through and i have read up and watched a few videos on the gun and it fires at around 400 fps, my local site rules only allow up to 350fps so i went ahead and bought a m100 spring to downgrade the fps and i watched the videos on how to change the spring and i have done so. all seemed fine until i wound the mag then inserted it and it unwound?? i re wound it back up but it will only fire one bb. then i have to take the mag back out then insert it then wind it then shoot one bb etc.

like i said im a newbie and could do with some expert advice ;) please.

Oh okay im just surprised it came at such a high fps :-) does the mag stop winding after a while or get tougher to wind? Try winding the mag up and releasing the clip at the top see if the mag ejects the whole stream of bbs or just the one. Id suggest doing this into a tub or something not all over your house like I did :-) this should tell you if its the mag not pushing up or an internal feeding issue in the gun

yeah i thought it was quite high but apparently thats standard for the gun a m120 spring :/

yeah it gets tighter then clicks so its fully wound and the bbs fly out when i slide the switch.

the gun worked fine when i took it out of the box but its just since iv changed the spring but i didnt think that would affect the bbs feeding as it shoots fine (well, 1 bb lol)

• Supporters

Sounds like something I've experienced, you may have reassembled the gun slightly out of position. I'd had the barrel and hop unit out by it cant have been more than a mm which caused this kind of thing.

Since you've taken it apart you've kinda stuffed your warranty so in for a penny in for a pound. I've followed Ed's advice which is to strip everything down again and rebuild, most of the time this has solved the problem.

Strange that it was so high out of the box.

Since you have an issue purely with the mag unwinding it's unlikey to be anything to do with the gearbox spring change, unless you have put back the nozzle in such a way that it's no longer attached to the tappet plate correctly, but since it'sa an ICS gun I presume it had the quick change spring feature, in which case you would not have had to strip the gearbox completely anyway.

It's, as NickM said, more likely that the hop unit was put back very slightly out of position, so that the mag isn't fitting perfectly to the feed hole on the hop. Are you sure the mag is being pushed fully into the magwell, so that the holes line up and engage to the correct depth? The quick way to check this is to remove the upper receiver, take out the inner barrel and hop unit and then fit the back end of the hop to the gearbox. Now fit the mag, which should enable you to see if they line up correctly. If for any reason they don't align then you need to work out why. If you aren't comfortable sorting it from there then ask the techie at your local site, or a more experienced friend to have a look at it for you.

• Supporters

I want to know what happens after it fires the one BB. Does it continue to fire, but no BB's come out of the barrel? Does it sound dull, like there is a BB in there, or more of a crack, like when you dry fire it? When you then remove the mag, do a couple of BB's drop out of the hop unit?

• Supporters

OK that tells us 2.5 things...

1. The mag works at getting BB's into the hop.

1.5 The unwinding is a separate issue. It happens to some mags. Someone else may know why but I don't. For me I don't think it's consistent; I know that it's not gun-specific, but I don't think that mags which have done it always do.

2.5 There are BB's getting into the chamber, otherwise it would sound like dry firing.

So that narrows it down to, 'Why doesn't it fire the poxy things?'

Most obvious causes:

The Air Seal Nozzle is not sealing well enough to get sufficient power behind the BB to blow it past the Hop Rubber. Reason - could be that the Tappet Plate is not pushing the Nozzle far enough forward; the Nozzle may be far enough but not pushing into the Rubber centrally; the Rubber may have somehow slipped and no longer present a properly round opening.

Proceed:

Disassemble and examine how the Hop Rubber is sitting. If it looks round, it's good :) Try firing it and check the Nozzle. Does it move firmly back and forth with every shot? If it does, then it probably is just one of those gremlin things. Put it back together, may as well use a very thin smear of grease around the outside of the Nozzle tip. If it still doesn't work, you may have to break it down further, but come back and tell us your findings first.

im using 0.20 bbs

yes!! the gun does exactly as ian said, the gun sounds dull then i take the mag out and 4 or 5 bbs fall out

p.s. thanks for the advide guys :)

I mean what brand buddy. Some brands are shite (bulldog) and wont feed properly

oh right ha, their the one that came with the gun free complimentary pack ics ones

FIXED :) i don't know all the technical words yet lol so i will try explain as best i can..
i opened up the gearbox and i noticed that the plastic nozzle was not clipped in to the flag looking thing (tappet i think) it must have come out when i was struggling to get it back together.
thanks for everyone's advice youve been a great help :)

• Supporters

Yeah that'll do it!

• Supporters

Yeah, that's the Tappet Plate - it pushes the Nozzle forwards before each shot. That pushes a BB into the Hop Up Chamber and the Nozzle up against the Rubber. Then it fires. The Tappet Plate Spring pulls it backward, which allows the next BB to pop up out of the Feed Tube ready to be pushed forward like the last one.

So yeah, no seal. That was the reason it wouldn't fire, but there also couldn't have been a BB in the chamber after the first, because the Nozzle wouldn't pull back and allow the next one into the Hop Unit. It should have sounded like dry firing... :unsure::huh:

If you increase the battery voltage, the motor speed, put high speed gears in, then this problem may occur again. That will be because the Tappet Plate is not properly pulling all the way back before being pushed forward again, so no BB gets loaded. You'll need a 'Delayer Chip' to add onto the Sector Gear - get a plastic one so that it's easier to reshape if needed to make it fit. I realise this may be a bit gibberish-ish, but it will make sense in the future...

:)

Archived