So guys,, what stuff do you wear for head and face protection?

tom_hcafc
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Baseball cap for the noggin, scrim round the neck.

Then a set of mesh glasses/goggles and a half face mask, although I have added a load of camping matt foam and some extra elastic to make it super secure!

Mesh goggles and mask, with a British Army AFV drivers' balaclava underneath. Will soon have a helmet, possibly with a vegetato cover when I can be arsed to get all the vegetato stuff together (probs in the new year)

plastic goggles for, I'm not taking any risks with mesh on my eyes. lower face is mesh. more breathable, less risk of an accident and in case for accident, less to lose. but I'm not stupid enough to want to have my teeth fully exposed and I do not trust mouth guards for BBs.

I tried a shemag for lower face in the beginning, but they tend to get very hot and damp form breathing. Remember you're wearing it a lot longer and breath a lot harder at the skirmish than you do at home when you try it out.

The advantage of having your cover in two pieces is that in between games, if you are over 18, you can remove the lower face protection while keeping the goggles.

I sometimes have my thin head snood over the forehead.. doesn't do much really. its also over the ears, as point blank ear shots in the cold can be very painful

Scrim netting scarf for the neck (neck hits are very painful). I find the netting scarf keeps you cooler than any alternative. Boonie hat for the head as the floppy brim doesn't allow for the 5mm gap above face protection that seems to alway get hit. Currently I switch between 2 different pairs of goggles as one or other gets misted up during the day and I rely on the MK1 tactical beard for lower face as anything else seems to make the misting up issues worse.. I am however working on something a bit better for face protection and to solve the misting issues. I have one of these masks:

41OaUqu2y9L._SX100_.jpg

I have reinforced the lenses so they can't be shot out. Now I am working on upgrading the fan in the filter to give me overpowered aircon (it comes with a tiny 3v fan which I am replacing with a 12V CPU cooling fan) :)

41OaUqu2y9L._SX100_.jpg

I have reinforced the lenses so they can't be shot out.

You have tested it at point blank then?

Lesson for any new players that reading this thread and have a gasmask, unless they are "airsoft faux gasmasks", the lenses often will not take a hit from a BB.

"oh but it's military" - yea.. but military do not tend to get shot with plastic BBs, and a harder lenses will hardly stop a bullet from an assault rifle.

You have tested it at point blank then?

Lesson for any new players that reading this thread and have a gasmask, unless they are "airsoft faux gasmasks", the lenses often will not take a hit from a BB.

"oh but it's military" - yea.. but military do not tend to get shot with plastic BBs, and a harder lenses will hardly stop a bullet from an assault rifle.

Oh its much worse than that. This is an 'Airsoft Faux Gasmask' and when tested the lenses started to pop out. The lenses themselves are tough enough but they are fixed in place in such a weak way that they can't take a point blank hit. I have therefore had to reinforce them with a substantial amount of epoxy around the inside edges of the lenses.

Other than the lenses, it also needed modification to reinforce the 2 top strap attachment points (snap off the fixing points, drill holes and replace fixing points with 2 small bolts) and then further modification to make it sit right to seal around the mouth and nose (extra craft foam pads). Now I'm working on a ventilation system upgrade. It will be worth it, but I do wish someone had designed it properly to start with.

Oh and apparently a lot of gas masks seem to use glass lenses. If a BB breaks those, you won't need to be worrying about a bb in the eye.

This is an 'Airsoft Faux Gasmask' and when tested the lenses started to pop out.

That's bad.

Oh and apparently a lot of gas masks seem to use glass lenses. If a BB breaks those, you won't need to be worrying about a bb in the eye.

yup, my bro played with soviet gas mask until he got the idea to actually test shoot it... glass splinter there was.

(yea.. this is the same bro that lent his full face mask to another player once and got hit tooth crack.... and it later fell out)

So the lesson here is: Gas masks (and probably other novelty masks) look cool, don't use them unless you are prepared to test them and do a lot of modification to make them safe.

This thread is fantastic.

I have my load out sorted out & am just looking at head & face protection so this could not come at a better time.

I'm thinking MICH helmet & for face mesh goggles & mask. With a buff underneath just to cover fleshy bits.

thoughts appreciated

This thread is fantastic.

I have my load out sorted out & am just looking at head & face protection so this could not come at a better time.

I'm thinking MICH helmet & for face mesh goggles & mask. With a buff underneath just to cover fleshy bits.

thoughts appreciated

Buff's don't do s***. I had one round my neck, I got shot and it bled for a while. The material is too thin. You could wear a neoprene mask to cover your neck and stuff, but they can get very hot and removes the point for a mesh mask.

Hmmm I see the flaw in my plan :huh: ................

goddammit back to my drawing board

***gets crayons out***

:blink:

• Supporters

I'm constantly testing new things/combos out, but I always take my Hero Shark Daggernose perforated sheet mesh goggles and modified interwoven wire mesh half face mask.

imag1298q.jpg

Foam stops mesh rubbing & extra head strap keeps it still when I run.

b52x.jpg

Ignore the little hole - it was an idea for smoking through, but doesn't work well so is now wired over.

I also often use a head rag made from a piece of 1/2" cargo net with a 2" canvas band on one edge which covers my forehead.

dmrcloseupcrop.jpg

Usually only when I'm pretty sure being shot in the head close up is likely.

I also have an S10 Respirator with ballistic lenses - surprisingly the internal design makes the frsh air you suck in with each breath clear moisture from around the lenses, but even though it doesn't fog, it still makes me sweat like a paedophile Nazi in a pope dress at a French Catholic Mothers' Association;

the ski mask stylee goggles shown above are better than my HS's for forward vision, but they need some TLC for their foam and they're crap for seeing directly in front of my feet;

some ESS Advancer V12's which I've modified so that the yellow lens frames now carry interwoven wire mesh -

5avn.jpg

- but this mesh isn't as strong as I'd prefer, so it is safe, but would not take repeated full auto bursts, hence I only wear them when I feel that head shots are no more probable than being hit anywhere else - these are without doubt my best for vision - I have a plan to try hardening the steel by oil quenching;

Soviet Syriyka Hat with built in sand mask -

afgancap00005_zps705ab18f.jpg

- is excellent, but only goes with some loadouts and has the added annoyance of being continually asked if I can see alright... "No, I'm wearing it for the same reason thousands of Soviet Military Advisers did, to make a complete cock of myself by falling over anything in my way and shooting my own side!";

I also have a very thin black mesh 1/2 face mask which is so poxy that it can be bent to fit any face easily - it's not exactly comfy but it would save my teeth and if I ever need to be able to squash my face against a rifle stock to aim, it will bend to accommodate - it's waiting for me to get around to modding it for comfort;

I sometimes use a Viper neoprene 1/2 face soft mask/comforter for the look - it's surprisingly effective, but very sweaty;

I've just scored some Revision Bullet Ant Goggles - they fit my face very well, but I've yet to see how well they withstand fogging - I'm less than optimistic.

Other occasionals: Soviet Gas Mask - dead loss - fogs in moments; 2x MK VI helmets - difficult to get comfy with eyepro, comms headset & mesh mask; Anti-Mine Visor for MK VI Helmet - fairly good for fogging but awkward to aim a rifle through; RUC Riot Helmet - dead loss - fogs, uncomfy, hard to aim through; Black Baseball Cap - great for keeping the sun out of my eyes :) British Army Jungle Hat - keeps the sun out of my eyes a bit & DPM camo; Black Small Crown Beret - good forehead protection.

Just received my new DPM Baseball Cap which, with some added camping mat to the inside forehead, I expect to become my default.

Grrr

Constant issue for me: I will have to find something that offers good protection but also does not make me sweat too much. I'm cursed with being a very warm person so a neoprene head covering will have me over heating too quickly.

decisions & more decisions :huh:

***Stokey beard moment***

:lol: Just noticed the ad choices this thread brings up :lol:

The answer has been staring us in the face the whole time. Muslim/Islamic wear!

• Supporters

Grrr

Constant issue for me: I will have to find something that offers good protection but also does not make me sweat too much. I'm cursed with being a very warm person so a neoprene head covering will have me over heating too quickly.

decisions & more decisions :huh:

***Stokey beard moment***

just get a decent ventilated paintball mask, Dye do a good selection as do Save Phace.

• Supporters

I'd rather my neck can sweat freely and cool me so I might have some chance of moving out of the way, rather than being limited by gasping on the edge of heatstroke... besides, unless it's right in the adam's apple, neck hits don't hurt that much. Not as much as finger hits, for eg.

Archived