High torque gears with M90 spring.

VictorPratt
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm building a M4 and was wanting to know if its it perfectly fine to use high torgue gears with a m80/m90 spring? V2 Gearbox.

Looking at using a Prometheus spring and Army Force 71:1 Ultra high torque gears, and my motor is a CA High Performance High Torgue motor. Aiming for reliability and trigger response

Thanks,

Victor.

• Supporters

It'll be fine yeah, but your trigger response is going to suck arse if you're running a ratio that high, I thought 1:28 was high and I got the lamest rof ever from that on only an M120.

On an M90 you could easily run 1:13 high speed gears with a high speed motor and shred people, probably for a lot less as well, I wouldn't have thought 1:71 gears would be cheap, I didn't even know that existed.

70:1 gears for a m90 spring is like shooting a small bird with a nuclear bomb!!!! Way Way Way overkill !!!!

If you want trigger response and ROF get 16:1 gears (Estimated 21 RPS on the CA torque motor) ... or 13:1 gears and a good motor for great ROF (Estimate 24 RPS with the CA motor)....

If you want reliability, go for 18:1 (Standard ratio) steal gears and a 7.4 volts lipo. That will give you something like 19 RPS, and a good triger pull ...

See this ROF estimator:

http://AirsoftTech.dk/Calculator.cshtml

• 3 weeks later...

All help is appreciated.

Bump, new information.

Dream Army M90 Spring sitting comfortable in a 18:1 Army Force gearbox, seems to be shimmed pretty good.

Got three motors. One used Classic Army "High Performance High Torque" motor, one unbranded long motor from a Both Elephant Type 89 (Slightly more force needed to move the pivot), and a brand new unused Dream Army High-Speed motor. As I'm wanting to use a 8.4v, I don't imagine the DA High speed would last very long with it. The gearbox is also stock, except for the m90, so am I right in assuming it'll need re-shimmed to accept the High-Speed also?

The shimming has nothing (I will correct that in a minute) to do with the motor so no. Changing motor to a high speed can be done without re shimming!

The correction: Most of the time everyting will be fine (But minor motor height ajustments may be needed) so no reshimming needed.

Some times (maby 1 out of 50) the motor's pinion will be sitting a little higher or lower than the original motor. Then shimming ajustments is best (But not a requirement)...

So in genral the answor is "No you don't need re shimming the gearbox for new motors. But motor height ajustments may sometimes need a fine tune...

Aditional note:

Quote: "I don't imagine the DA High speed would last very long with it." Why not?

The DA HS should work verry well with a 18:1 m90 box with 8.4v.... Standard gears, low power spring, and small battery -> Every motor can handle that with no problems....

Aditional Aditional Note:

But if you change gears (eg. to high speed) then you need a complete re shimm!

But, when I say "I don't imagine the DA High speed would last very long with it.", I'm referring to the battery life of the 8.4v.

Ahhhh ... I see ....

Well i haven't tried DA motors so i don't know how "amp hungry" they are ... But I would imagine that they are kind of the same as other HS motors ... And if I'm correct then the battery should last for almost the same as with standart motors ... just because it turns faster don't men more amps are drawn ... HS motors just "trade torque for speed" ... so the battery life shoud remain almost the same ....

But try it out and see what happens ... Perhaps also try a 7.4 lipo. It gives more speed and longer battery time :-)

Archived