Advice for your first gun

bornleverpuller
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

No not the normal what gun should I get because we know the answer the a combat machine m4 :rolleyes:.

My question is about what to do when you take it out of the box, what should I check for? Where do you test it before going to a site? What should you do at the end of each day to keep your gun and magazine in good working order? What's your one bit of advice for getting the best out of your first aeg no matter what it is?

• Supporters

first thing to do is put the receipt somewhere safe!

next, charge and then fit your battery, put on eye protection, load a magazine with good quality BBs and fire a few (10 or so) into a pillowcase to make sure it's shooting. If you've got private land/a big back yard etc then skip the pillow case.

Dependant on manufacturer, you may want to do a barrel clean at this point (quite a few manufacturers ship guns with barrels gunked up), its easy enough. Use the rod that was supplied with the gun, stick a 1"x2" bit of lint free cloth through the hole in the end and give the barrel a few pull throughs (with the hop FULLY off), replace the cloth and repeat. Keep going til the cloth comes through clean.

After each skirmish; empty all of your magazines and unwind the springs on any hi-caps. remove the battery from the gun.

Do not be tempted to take it apart to 'clean it'. It's an AEG, not a real gun, you won't get carbon deposits building up etc.

just to add to cheesy's suggestion:

If you're a super geek and want your gun to be squeaky clean and tidy after each shooting session, take apart the gun, unless you don't want to void the warranty. In that case, go away now.

Clean trigger contacts and remove any black stuff you see. It's carbon if you're wondering... i think... and i'm sure...

Make sure there is enough grease and that it's not escaping out the bearing on each gear and make sure no dirt is in the bearing race. If you have bushings, then ignore all that.

After greasing, make sure the gears spin freely; take out all the gears and put in one at a time and spin it. If it suddenly stops or jerks, you need betta grease! Or the gears or gearbox itself may be wank.

Make sure anti reversal latch is not chipped (has happened).

Basically a full internal checkup. Just make sure any moving part is not worn out massively, like the tappet plate.

I know, i'm such a geek, I could be using that time to read a book or watch TV.

It could just be where the metal of the contact oxidises.

hmmm, i'm guessing the metal of the contact is either copper or aluminium and i don't think they oxidize that fast.... over the course of 2 weeks.... Even if it did, the metal would have been greatly reduced in mass by now due to oxidation, but it's not. But then again, where would reduction happen inside the gearbox?

If you're a super geek and want your gun to be squeaky clean and tidy after each shooting session, take apart the gun.

Clean trigger contacts and remove any black stuff you see. It's carbon if you're wondering... i think... and i'm sure...

Make sure there is enough grease and that it's not escaping out the bearing on each gear and make sure no dirt is in the bearing race. If you have bushings, then ignore all that.

After greasing, make sure the gears spin freely; take out all the gears and put in one at a time and spin it. If it suddenly stops or jerks, you need betta grease! Or the gears or gearbox itself may be wank.

Basically a full internal checkup. Just make sure any moving part is not worn out massively, like the tappet plate.

Congratulations, You have now just Void your warranty ;)

(Assuming it was bought new)

Congratulations, You have now just Void your warrenty ;)

(Assuming it was bought new)

Well.....

The gearbox was bought separately as the Double Eagle one was a shyte piece o' plastic and broke within two days. The only thing that survived in the plastic shyte was the piston cylinder, but then again, that part doesn't move at all.

• Supporters

If you're a super geek and want your gun to be squeaky clean and tidy after each shooting session, take apart the gun.

If you've just bought your first gun, straight out of the box, no mods minty fresh - that right there is about the worst advice you could ever give. Opening it up will void the warranty straight away! Maybe once you've skirmished with the gun for a good while, decided that you might want to upgrade some bits then ok, take a screwdriver in hand, study hard and hope you dont fuck it up but NOT when it's new and your first gun!

• Supporters

Once you've ascertained that it fires alright, put a drop of silicone oil down the BB pipe of the mag. Stuff a handful of BB's down it with a speedloader (even though it's a hi cap), wind the tension up, release the tab so the BB's spray out into a plastic bag - repeat 2-3 times with the same BB's then throw them away. Your mag is now as oiled as it need be and no excess will get on your hop rubber :)

I've started cleaning my barrels with those pre-injection alcohol swabs wrapped around a cleaning rod. Here on fleabay - £1.79 for 100 2nd class posted.

No not the normal what gun should I get because we know the answer the a combat machine m4 :rolleyes:.

My question is about what to do when you take it out of the box, what should I check for? Where do you test it before going to a site? What should you do at the end of each day to keep your gun and magazine in good working order? What's your one bit of advice for getting the best out of your first aeg no matter what it is?

If your not wanting an M4 why not look at some CYMA's? You can get AK's, M14's or MP5's at a good entry level at 150 or less.

Once you've ascertained that it fires alright, put a drop of silicone oil down the BB pipe of the mag. Stuff a handful of BB's down it with a speedloader (even though it's a hi cap), wind the tension up, release the tab so the BB's spray out into a plastic bag - repeat 2-3 times with the same BB's then throw them away. Your mag is now as oiled as it need be and no excess will get on your hop rubber :)

I've started cleaning my barrels with those pre-injection alcohol swabs wrapped around a cleaning rod. Here on fleabay - £1.79 for 100 2nd class posted.

would you say its still worth oiling the barrel and then cleaning again with these wipes?

• Supporters

would you say its still worth oiling the barrel and then cleaning again with these wipes?

Only if you suspect that there's actual grit in the barrel. I'd break the gun down and take the barrel out of the hop before doing it though, to keep the oil off the hop rubber. Grease on the outside of the rubber is all that's needed.

• Supporters

To keep grit out of the barrel, when I occasionally use the muzzle as an entrenching tool, I use one or both of these:

2nvg.jpg

...which are part of the issue SA80 cleaning kit.

More on this kit here.

To keep grit out of the barrel, when I occasionally use the muzzle as an entrenching tool, I use one or both of these:

2nvg.jpg

...which are part of the issue SA80 cleaning kit.

............................................ won't the bristles scratch the precision barrels?

• Supporters

............................................ won't the bristles scratch the precision barrels?

The brass ones would, but I only use it in the flash hiders. The nylon one is soft enough not to scratch even a soft metal like brass or aluminium.

Archived