plate carrier or chest rig

Hendy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Chest rigs are for the front only.

They fit slightly closer to the body, less bulky (not really noticable once pouches and things are on)

They're more flexible material-wise.

You can't fit anything on the back, may be a positive if you want to wear a backpack.

pouches are mounted just below rib cage level.

Plate carriers carry, well, plates - armour plates.

They are what most people imagine a 'rig' looks like, fairly bulky.

Personally think 'a plate carrier' is more tactical looking than 'a chest rig'

More rigid, so a pouch is exactly where you left it on your rig

Pouches tend to be mounted about the level of the bottom of your ribcage

You need to get one that fits properly.

With either, you need to make sure you get one that fits properly. Take a look at Warrior RICAS? rigs

I'm not the best person to talk to about this - I've done the whole silly tactical turtle thing and just throw mags in pockets now.

If you're unsure you can get a chest rig like a 901 or RRV style and attach a back plate to it so you have as much MOLLE space as a plate carrier but much more light weight and flexible

It depends on what your exactly putting on your rig. if your carrying 10 mags, plus grenades and a pistol etc its worth getting a plate carrier.

I have a chest rig, it has 2 pouches and 3 double m4, 3 single ak pouches. I use it with some pouches on my belt. Its lightweight and more low drag.

• Supporters

If you're unsure you can get a chest rig like a 901 or RRV style and attach a back plate to it so you have as much MOLLE space as a plate carrier but much more light weight and flexible

I'm currently running a Warrior Assault Systems 901 with the back plate and it's a LOT less sweaty and restrictive that a plate carrier (although probably on a par with the newer low drag styles like the LBT 6094K).

A lot of PCs need dummy plates in to keep their shape too. More weight, more restrictive.

If you're trying to do a specific type of loadout you're going to be locked in to one or the other but if you got the freedom to pick and choose, why not look at other options as well? Tactical MOLLE vests can be pretty decent and plenty of people do just fine with only a belt rig!

• Supporters

Not much to add, only you should consider balance when setting up your rig. A chest rig only loads on the front, so all extra weight will be up front. This is great if you only have about 6 large mags, the odd smoke or spare bag of ammo to put in the rig, and any extra goes elsewhere. There is nothing in the rear to counterbalance the weight. Depending on how high you are wearing the rig, you should also consider how this bulk will be carried when you are prone or if it will interfere with bringing the gun up to the correct aiming position.

If you have a PC, you will probably load closer to the waist area, and you can counterbalance extra weight on the front with rear mounted utilities or MOLLE mounted hydration. It will also distribute weight across the back via a wider surface area than chest rig strapping if you shift from upright to prone. If you are planning on a field kit of 8-12 large mags, dump bag, hydration and spare ammo/batteries (some sites make you hike out for the afternoon and you 'fight your way back', so you won't make it back to the safe zone until time to go home), you should consider a PC in preference to a chest rig. If you are purchasing a PC, you may wish to consider if it has structural stability built in (if it doesn't have a plate in it, does it flop about like fabric, or does it maintain most of its shape) as structural stability is quite important in MOLLE gear for pouches and gear not to sag and shift about when worn.

I'm not too much in favour of chest rigs that have rear panels. If you want a chest rig, get a chest rig. If you want a vest, get a vest. Each design has its advantages and disadvantages, and making an add-on to turn a chest rig into a halfway vest isn't going to make the chest rig more viable as a vest due to issue of balancing out the weight. Chest rigs are great add-ons to standard armour or webbing for adding extra ammo carrying capacity (in military/LE applications), and the wearers already have a counterbalance to the load in the armour, utility pouches on the rear of the webbing or a rucksack/daypack.

If you still aren't sure, a modular web set combined with a jacket with lots of pockets is a great way to go. 8-12 large mags in pouches around the hips, a dump bag or utility bag slung on one side for empties, all arranged for the balance to be neutral. Other spares distributed on the body in the jacket (would suggest a pouch that will carry an extra bag of BBs to go into the pocket in case the bag opens up - will also prevent the BBs from getting dirty or damp if you find yourself crawling on damp ground for an extended period of time. This is fairly foolproof and a cheap way to start off until you are sure you want to carry more stuff.

Its worth looking on Amazon for vests. I'm sure I saw a thread about them somewhere.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/tactical-combat-airsoft-shooting-assault/dp/B00F51MZXO/ref=sr_1_10?m=A2HY33OEHXA2K1&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1384709765&sr=1-10 and it is very well made and when you take into account the pouches you get with it, its a bargain.

Tbh the front is where you want most stuff anyway. You will have difficulty getting to stuff on your back. On the other hand, stuff on your back pannel is accessible to teammates. Also bear in mind that in CQB its very easy to get shot from behind and the extra protection a vest gives is nice.

JoW. I'll have to disagree with you about what you say about back panels on chest rigs.

Lots of people, including a lot of the SF world, find it a very good way it improve loadout carrying capacity. Granted if you get one of the tiny tactical bra type chest rigs a back panel wouldn't be right but a chest rig like a RRV is perfect with a back panel. You'd balance weight out just as well as you would a plate carrier

Russe11, as for the vest you linked it may be good for a while but from experience I'd stay away form anything which you can't see the make and therefore have no benchmark for quality. The old saying of buy cheap buy twice is very true buying rigs and it is definitely worth spending a little bit extra to get a rig you know will last

• Supporters

6094k? http://lbtinc.com/medium-assault-front-m4-mp7-hybrid.html

won't get far with that, it's only the front plate bag!

Stop being obtuse, you know what I meant.

Archived