1911 or P226?

Maff-7777
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm looking to get my first pistol. I've always liked the look of the 1911 but also have taken a fancy to the P226.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good make/model of either?

Ideally I'd like it to be metal and with a tactical rail so I have the option of mounting a flashlight – I know most 1911 don't seem to have that.

And I think some pistols can take CO2 and green gas mags, would be nice to have the option.

Any thoughts guys?

M.

• Supporters

Some 1911's have tactical rails (night warrior, desert warrior, some MEU versions). I have the TM 1911 MEU which is pretty good (no rail though). I tried a couple of SIGs (being a massive NCIS fan I kinda had to) and to be honest while they were nice I didn't really like the trigger position when the gun wasn't cocked (due to lack of space in the fingerguard on account of having pigs tits for fingers). The P226R is the one to have if you want a SIG with a rail though.

1911s are single action so need cocking before firing (not every time obvs), the SIGs are double action so don't. Makes for a quicker draw and first shot on target if that makes a difference.

• Supporters

I've always preferred the Sig, I find the 1911 controls awkward and in some cases redundant.

They're also a bitch to strip down for the sake of a minor hop change compared to Sigs.

Some 1911's have tactical rails (night warrior, desert warrior, some MEU versions). I have the TM 1911 MEU which is pretty good (no rail though). I tried a couple of SIGs (being a massive NCIS fan I kinda had to) and to be honest while they were nice I didn't really like the trigger position when the gun wasn't cocked (due to lack of space in the fingerguard on account of having pigs tits for fingers). The P226R is the one to have if you want a SIG with a rail though.

1911s are single action so need cocking before firing (not every time obvs), the SIGs are double action so don't. Makes for a quicker draw and first shot on target if that makes a difference.

Ah, didn't realise 1911 weren't double action - a quicker draw is deffeinatly a plus. It's Burn Notice that made me think of getting a 226. Then I re-watched robocop the other day and the police use em.

So what make of P226R would you recomend?

m.

• Supporters

I've always preferred the Sig, I find the 1911 controls awkward and in some cases redundant.

They're also a bitch to strip down for the sake of a minor hop change compared to Sigs.

Which bits do you find redundant out of interest? Unless you're left handed everything can be reached really easily etc and has the basics, nothing else.

To change the hop, all you have to do is remove the spring guide and barrel bushing and the barrel comes straight out, It only takes a minute :P Unless you mean adjusting the hop? Even so it's just a case of taking off the slide.

@OP, 1911s have small mags which may be an issue as they can't hold as much gas as 226 ones, there are various makers of each so I'd choose whichever you find comfier and better looking.

I wouldn't worry about a 1911 not being double action though- cock it, put the safe on and holster it- the safety is near enough where you thumb would be whilst firing so can be deactivated before even pointing at a target

Looking around it seems that there aren't many 1911 with rails on UK sites (the ones I know of). P226s with a rail seem much more common.

m.

Take a look at the WE P226. That is reliable, also the top rail is a lot more realistic as most are just painted black, this one goes through the actual process a SIG would. It looks really good

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/WE-P226-GBB-WITH-TACTIAL-RAIL-WEGP427.html#.UoTFfXCGrRU

• Supporters

Looking around it seems that there aren't many 1911 with rails on UK sites (the ones I know of). P226s with a rail seem much more common.

m.

TM do the warrior series that have rails, although they're plastic so that may be a negative point for you.

The WE sig is a good gun as mentioned- they dont fit serpa holsters though so that may be an issue.

TM do the warrior series that have rails, although they're plastic so that may be a negative point for you.

The WE sig is a good gun as mentioned- they dont fit serpa holsters though so that may be an issue.

Hmmm yes plastic doesn't appeal to me. I know that some say plastic guns are infact better. I just dont't think it would 'feel' right.

The few railed 1911 there are seem to come in all matter of funky colours and disgusting grips. The Strike Warrior looks more like a meat tenderiser then a gun :-S

Okay, so now I'm leaning more towards a 226... can any one reconmend a good model/make?

• Supporters

Which bits do you find redundant out of interest? Unless you're left handed everything can be reached really easily etc and has the basics, nothing else.

To change the hop, all you have to do is remove the spring guide and barrel bushing and the barrel comes straight out, It only takes a minute :P Unless you mean adjusting the hop? Even so it's just a case of taking off the slide.

The beaver tail thing or whatever it's called, I just don't see the point. The safety catch too, if it's single action, why not just have it holstered with the hammer down and cock it when you draw it? That'd be even safer and then the hammer isn't going to catch on anything. Sigs and Glocks manage fine with no safety at all (the Glock trigger thing is just stupid so I'm not counting it), but the M1911 has three - beaver tail, slide and trigger lock on the safety. It's overkill and just unnecessary.

The slide release is stupidly too far forwards as well, it'd be the easiest thing in the world to bring it back a bit more.

Plus, with regard to taking the slide off, it's a pain in the balls to get the slide release out to release the slide... Yeah... you know what I mean. Having to hold the slide in that position is hard enough as it is, then no one has thin enough fingers to actually push the pin through the other side without tools.

Sigs are just better in every way.

Imo.

Take a look at the WE P226. That is reliable, also the top rail is a lot more realistic as most are just painted black, this one goes through the actual process a SIG would. It looks really good

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/WE-P226-GBB-WITH-TACTIAL-RAIL-WEGP427.html#.UoTFfXCGrRU

Cool, looks nice. Does seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Does anyone know if the KJW version is good?

m.

If you say so :D

Well the sites I know of.

If you know anywhere that has it in stock, please let me know.

m.

• Supporters

For the SIG comparisons this takes some beating:

(RedWolf Airsoft Safe for work)

As for the multiple safeties etc on the 1911, they're there because they mirror the real world weapon which was found to be in need of them The beavertail safety is great because it means you don't need to have all the other safeties on to prevent firing unless it's in your hand! The slide release is where it should be for the real weapon and personally, I've never found it to be that big a deal to get out for stripdown. I have the TM MEU which doesn't have a rail but if you want to fit a torch there is a VFC one which mimics the real style of torch fitted to 1911s http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/vfc-v1911-tactical-illuminator-for-marui-m1911-series

The Socom Gear 1911 MEU has an integral rail (which is metal as the rest of the weapon is) but it is a clone/rebadge of the WE 1911 MEU which doesn't have a great reputation for gas efficiency

PS - if you're after Michael Westons sidearm from Burn Notice, it's only a SIG (P228 by the way) until season 4 when he started using an HK P30. (IMFDB is great for all this shiznit! http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Burn_Notice )

• Supporters

Socom Tactical have them I believe: http://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-guns/professional-airsoft-guns/pistols/we-sig-f226-with-rail.html

Pretty sure I saw one in the cabinet a week or so ago!

• Supporters

It was more the real one I was moaning about, it's stopid to moan about a replica when the things I don't like are only there to mimic the real one.

I don't understand why the design hasnt been revised to make the changes I stated yet, there have been quite a lot of different 1911 designs over the years but they're all so similar there's barely any point to them.

You'd have thought they'd follow the trend of more modern pistols by now RE safties, or at the very least updated it to take a double stack mag.

Only 8 shots is just crap. Especially when other .45s are boasting 13, no doubt more in some cases.

I like the look of the M1911, and they are pretty awesome.

I just hate handling them.

• Supporters

Pretty sure 2011s are double stacked? That should be close enough :P

Though I'm not sure I see the issue with safeties? Cock the gun, apply safety. That's not really different to an average assault rifle or anything, yes it means having the hammer back but I don't see why that would be a problem either? It's been around for over 100 years now so I guess that's part of the reluctance to change bits of it hugely but equally the mag capacity is it's only real downfall as far as I can see.

Agree with M_P on the 1911 safety, though Ed did mention the slide release.

If you've got mid to small hands you cant hit it without rotating the gun towards your body slightly, I ended up installing an extended slide release for that very reason.

Personally 1911's just look gorgeous

Edit: there are indeed double stack versions of the 1911

• Supporters

If you've got mid to small hands you cant hit it without rotating the gun towards your body slightly, I ended up installing an extended slide release for that very reason.

Extended slide release? From where? I have quite short fingers considering the size of my hands and the slide release is always just out of reach!

• Supporters

Apple vs Orange

The slim grip area of the frame on a 1911 feels great to me personally having hands on the smaller side of a medium glove, but then you pay for that thinner grip with thinner mags that hold less gas. Never had any issue with the safeties on it myself, the gun was designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. You just draw and then shoot with your thumb riding on the manual safety, which means you'll automatically disengage said safety when you take up your firing grip. No slower than a Glock or M&P in reality and the grip safety won't come in to the equation unless the shooter themselves have messed up the draw, not that it can't be pinned and disabled if desired.

The Sig is definitely easier to field strip in terms of quick hop access, although the 1911 is dependant on the variants of frame and slide lock you have fitted. Some frames are counter-sunk on the right side to allow easy pushing of the cross bar on slide lock lever and most slide locks themselves do actually protrude from the gun which means you can take it apart pretty quickly without tools. As long as the gun's well made and the slides's not burred that is.

I can't personally reach the slide lock/release with my weapon hand's thumb on either gun, but you do at least have the option of fitting an extended slide release on airsoft 1911s, though I only recall seeing NOVA ones myself which are a tad pricey to say the least (though justifiably in fairness). Either way, on the stock 1911 or 226 I let the slide forward by moving up the thumb on the reaction hand towards the slide release immediately after the mag itself locks home, it's a pretty fluid and logical movement. Once the slide's in battery your reaction hand is pretty much already in position to take up the correct firing grip.

At this moment I own maybe 7-8 1911s, 2 x 226s and a G17 and I have to say overall the more modern striker-fired guns like the Glock do just run a lot more easily than either the old single-actions or the 80s vintage DA/SA guns like the Sigs and M9s, whether it be real or airsoft. I'm very glad we swapped from the 226 and BHP over to the G17 in service I'll say that. Every gun has its' place however, the xx11 series are the best options out there if you want to change anything/everything (just like an AR) whereas I find the 226 much better in the sense of a shooter who just wants to buy a gun and leave it exactly as it is OOTB. I do think the Glock/M&P offer the best of both worlds and if you buy a quality holster then that's your safety sorted, but end of the day some folks just like a manual safety or a de-cocker and there's plus points to every choice.

Extended slide release? From where? I have quite short fingers considering the size of my hands and the slide release is always just out of reach!

Sent you a link matey.

Archived