Help on sniper rifles

DazMK5
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I really want a Tokyo Marui VSR-10. But I have found out there so hard to come by, and can't find a NEW one anywhere.

What other snipers are good which I can use Laylax and PDI parts in?

Cheers guys

Daz

The HFC vsr11 is a clone of the TM vsr10 and is 100% vsr10 upgrade compatible

its also only £100 new however the quality wont be as high as the vsr, but seeing as you plan on upgrading that shouldn't really matter.

The JG bar10 is also vsr10 upgrade compatible, however they are relatively hard to come by.

• Supporters

Fire Support have the Pro version in stock: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-vsr10-pro-sniper-rifle

Fire Support have the Pro version in stock: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-vsr10-pro-sniper-rifle

Can scopes still be fitted to it?

• Supporters

From what I can remember there are holes for the scope rail to be screwed to. But the scope rail is separate and you can buy it.

http://justbbguns.co.uk/product/53/PARTS-AND-TOOLS/380/RAILS/1407/VSR-TAC-RAIL#.UoJ4lOJk4o0

that rail would fit,

not the most reputable of websites but ive never had a problem dealing with them, and i think thats one of the best prices for vsr rails aswell

could be wrong tho

• Supporters

Actually if you scroll to the bottom of the firesupport page for the VSR they have the rails. 2 different types.

• Supporters

Can scopes still be fitted to it?

Yeah, you can get a rail for it. TM make one themselves, and LayLax make one, there are other companies too, which will probably be cheaper.

Oooor... if yer not bothered with spending £1000 on internal upgrades for a vsr... get a HFC or Swiss arms co2 powered vsr.

Why would you suggest getting a gas powered sniper rifle over a spring powered one, unless you were suggesting HPA?

• Supporters

They do not cost as much to upgrade. Tightbore, bucking, hop up chamber, possibly nub, and you're done.

Have you considered that there might be a reason everyone always suggests a tokyo marui VSR10 and no one ever even mentions a snow wolf rifle, let alone a gas powered rifle by them.

VSRs dont have nubs as such, they have hop arms that press on the bucking.

• Supporters

They do not cost as much to upgrade. Tightbore, bucking, hop up chamber, possibly nub, and you're done.

You missed the part where they're inconsistent, losing power each shot until the mag is re-filled/CO2 capsule replaced, is pretty much useless in a sniper. That's why HPA is the best way to go, using a regulator to get the same volume of air released every shot gives pretty consistent results.

A TM VSR isn't even too expensive to upgrade, there are cheaper alternatives to brands like LayLax and PDI, for example, ASPUK.

You missed the part where they're inconsistent, losing power each shot until the mag is re-filled/CO2 capsule replaced, is pretty much useless in a sniper. That's why HPA is the best way to go, using a regulator to get the same volume of air released every shot gives pretty consistent results.

A TM VSR isn't even too expensive to upgrade, there are cheaper alternatives to brands like LayLax and PDI, for example, ASPUK.

..... upgrades are gonna be over £200... and that is expensive. I was just mentioning a cheaper alternative. The're not terribly inconsistent, just a little bit. There are gas sniper rifles on the market for a reason.

• Supporters

..... upgrades are gonna be over £200... and that is expensive. I was just mentioning a cheaper alternative. The're not terribly inconsistent, just a little bit. There are gas sniper rifles on the market for a reason.

A semi-decent gas sniper is going to be more than that before upgrades, and the magazines are more expensive, you have to buy gas. The only ones I see that regularly have a decent reputation are Tanaka ones, which are about £300.

Anyway, let's not hijack the thread any more than we already have.

A semi-decent gas sniper is going to be more than that before upgrades, and the magazines are more expensive, you have to buy gas. The only ones I see that regularly have a decent reputation are Tanaka ones, which are about £300.

Anyway, let's not hijack the thread any more than we already have.

well, the one i suggested uses vsr mags.... and uses co2.... and does not cost more than 150 itself......

• Supporters

Actually, TM VSR and JG Bar are recommended , the VSR especially as they are so damn good out of the box. Without too many expensive upgrades you can get a very reliable sniper.

1 Swap the trigger and piston sears for steel or another alloy. ( £24)

2 Replace the spring with something with a bit more grunt. and put in a steel spring guide ( M150 £13.99, spring guide £16.99)

3 replace the standard hop arm with the dangerwerx one (£23.99) not necessary really you could do the biro hop mod.

4 new barrel if you really want one although the TM one is supposed to be pretty good anyway.

Keep the original hop rubber if TM.

Free upgrades, they mostly involve things you have lying around:-

polish the barrel

the TDC hop mod, basically a hole is drilled directly down on top of the hop unit with a nut glued to the top and a screw which winds down and presses directly onto the hop arm, this stops the arm twisting and applying indirect pressure.

wash your bbs ( test 0.25, 0.28, 0.30, 0.36 and 0.40 to see what is best.)

I make that £55 worth of upgrades for a VSR not including a barrel.

Do the TM VSR's require you to drill out a pin on the cylinder head before you can actually gain access to the insides of the cylinder? I was thinking on getting a tm vsr10 aswell for upgrading but if it requires driling out a pin id rather save £80 and buy myself a vsr11 clone :s

..... upgrades are gonna be over £200

Yeah this is a bit of a rumour, as Nick said you can get a very reliable sniper with minimal outlay. Anything other than that is a optional luxury if you have the money to spend, but you probably won't see that much difference. Thats not to say a non Marui clone would be the same, that might need 200 quids worth of upgrades (I've not got time to check) by the time you get a new barrel, hop rubber etc.

Drilling the pin is not hard. Once you have it 3/4 of the way through you can simply break the rest off when screwing off the head. Just do it in a well lit area,well clamped down on a vice and most importantly, make a good indent into the steel so the drill does not wander. DO NOT LET THE DRILL WANDER!

As long as the O ring is in good condition and you have a good amount of material on your cylinder your air seal will be fine.

Granted,I've done it a bajillion times now so I may just be used to it.

And Also,you do not need to shell out stupid amounts of money for a reliable and well shooting rifle.

You can get an ASPUK trigger and piston set for around 80£,spring of your choosing for a tenner and a Dangerwerx Type A arm for 20£. The Stock TM rubber,unit and barrel are really good and usable.

Wonders can be made with some DIY work,such as molding the bucking to the barrel with non crack nail polish,sealing the head with silicone,of course,the every so effective TDC mod and you can even mod the hop unit to accept and AEG bucking and barrel. Not that you'd want to,the VSR system is better IMO.

If you're feeling fancy you can go for a Type B arm and a PDi W hold,the W hold adding only 8£ to the total-with express shipping.

I've already talked to loads of people,including the local shop owner-who shelled out stupid amounts of money on the BASRs and saying it's ''not worth it''

The needing to shell out a sh*t ton may be true for Yank-Land since they tend to get raped on price mark up and they do not have the blessing of ASPUK.

• Supporters

well, the one i suggested uses vsr mags.... and uses co2.... and does not cost more than 150 itself......

Some double eagle guns use aeg mags, that doesn't mean that they're good options though.

@op: As said, follow everyone else's diy mods mentioned as they certainly cut costs a lot. No one has mentioned barrel spacers yet though- get some electrical tape and rap around the barrel in a few places down it's length so that it's tight inside the inner barrel. Upgrading sniper rifles can be done for relatively cheaply as mentioned above- however I would advise spending the extra on PDI or Laylax parts if you have the money as they will give better results.

Actually, TM VSR and JG Bar are recommended , the VSR especially as they are so damn good out of the box. Without too many expensive upgrades you can get a very reliable sniper.

1 Swap the trigger and piston sears for steel or another alloy. ( £24)

2 Replace the spring with something with a bit more grunt. and put in a steel spring guide ( M150 £13.99, spring guide £16.99)

3 replace the standard hop arm with the dangerwerx one (£23.99) not necessary really you could do the biro hop mod.

4 new barrel if you really want one although the TM one is supposed to be pretty good anyway.

Keep the original hop rubber if TM.

Free upgrades, they mostly involve things you have lying around:-

polish the barrel

the TDC hop mod, basically a hole is drilled directly down on top of the hop unit with a nut glued to the top and a screw which winds down and presses directly onto the hop arm, this stops the arm twisting and applying indirect pressure.

wash your bbs ( test 0.25, 0.28, 0.30, 0.36 and 0.40 to see what is best.)

I make that £55 worth of upgrades for a VSR not including a barrel.

What make are they all? I'm going to use Laylax and PDI parts. I want this sniper to be the mutts nuts. It's not something I want to rush :)!

Also you mentioned washing your BBs?? Why do you do this?

And is that all the upgrades I will need? Nothing else?.

I'm going to get a PDI .01 barrel for it ;).

And I'll just buy barrel spacers lol :)! I don't mind about cost. It's a project :)!.

A project that I want to finish when it's 500fps and dead zeroed in to the scope.

What's the shooting distance as well for a sniper that's been upgraded with PDI and Laylax parts.

And what sort of scope would I need?

• Supporters

What make are they all? I'm going to use Laylax and PDI parts. I want this sniper to be the mutts nuts. It's not something I want to rush :)!

Also you mentioned washing your BBs?? Why do you do this?

And is that all the upgrades I will need? Nothing else?.

I'm going to get a PDI .01 barrel for it ;).

Some people have said that washing BBs gets any grease or crap off them that comes from the factory, personally, I've never tried it, and most people don't because they see it as a waste of time.

That's the minimum you'd need to get it to 500 FPS consistently, reliably and accurately. There are multiple brands that do those upgrade parts, generally the more expensive will be better.

If you've got the money then go for full PDI/LayLax parts, replace pretty much everything, get a zero-trigger over the standard design as it'll last pretty much forever.

Regarding barrels, I have a PDI 6.05x495mm in my L96, and get better results than I did with a 6.03x509mm. But, it'll be down to personal preference and what you decide depending on what you test/read. The general consensus that I've seen is that you want middle ground, so 6.03-6.05 would be best bet. There are now 6.23mm barrels, designed for accuracy at range, due to putting a large cushion of air around the BB, preventing it bouncing off the barrel as it travels down it.

And I'll just buy barrel spacers lol :)! I don't mind about cost. It's a project :)!.

A project that I want to finish when it's 500fps and dead zeroed in to the scope.

What's the shooting distance as well for a sniper that's been upgraded with PDI and Laylax parts.

And what sort of scope would I need?

Save the money on them and save the hassle of getting them stuck in the outer barrel in the wrong place - I've done this quite a few times - and make your own. I've wrapped paper around my barrel the entire length, until it's almost as wide as the outer barrel, then put 5 sections of electrical tape at regular intervals along the paper, with a large enough diameter to make it a snug fit.

The range you get out of it depends on too many things, mainly being the time you put into fine tuning and the ability you have to fine tune it. With it upgraded fully, a perfect air seal, perfectly set hop up, people have said they can hit as far as 100m, some people claimed 120m, and I've seen one person claim they hit a 150m shot, but that was at 600 FPS. Most of these have been with R-Hops installed though, which I've tried and currently given up on. May have another shot at installing and fine tuning after Christmas.

I've hit 80m shots quite reliably on a man-sized target with my L96 with the follow parts in it:

Full ASPUK bolt upgrades, metal trigger unit from Airsoft World, ASPUK air seal hop, MadBull 6.03x650mm barrel, MadBull red hop rubber, with a Biro pen ink tube nub. Was shooting between 495 and 500 FPS.

Since getting Laylax/PDI parts and an R-Hop, I've not really had the time or motivation to get it set up well enough to hit anything over that.

So yeah, your range will depend on too many things for it to be estimated, but if you get a VSR, it'll have pretty decent range OOTB without upgrades, despite the low FPS.

I can also add that VSRs still perform well with low FPS.

Mine is pumping out a measly 255,+/- 1 FPS due to a degraded spring and I'm getting shot past 50m.

Barrel wise the PDi 6.05 and PDi 6.04 bores are some of the most accurate on the market. Their budget oriented Raven barrels are probably some of the best bang for buck barrels. Performance is just as good,if not in some cases better than the expensive SUS 304 barrels.

If you want a 90* system go for ASPUK EZ trigger, or the S trigger,much more reliable than the V trigger and Z trigger because they have less springs and moving parts and so on,also you support small custom works.

• Supporters

I'm getting 492-3FPS with 0.2's and consistently hit man sized targets @80m (firing 0.3g BB's when the wind is steady, b/c I'm still not experienced enough to judge shot offsets in blustery conditions) from a 590mm x 6.01mm Madbull barrel with a Prometheus purple hop rubber and an Element M135 spring in my A&K Dragunov.

Archived