Nice smile, Moron

Rock-climby-Dave
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So after 5 years of playing with no lower face protection.

1175rp2.jpg

well, yeah.

Obvisouly, it needs a crown on it, but there isn't much tooth left on the inside of my mouth as far as I can see. I've still got the tooth top part and it fits reasonably well, is it possible for a dentist to simply glue it back on with something? or is it going to be the whole costly go in, numb mouth routine?

It's not revealed the nerve or shattered anything either.

And as if to make it worse, there is only 1 group of people on this planet worse than paintballers, Dentists -_-

Cheers

Dave

unlucky mate yes lower face mask can be a pain in the arse to wear and can rub but I'm quite fond of my teeth too lol

First time I went without lower face, (using just a shemagh instead) I stuck my rifle out of a window that only showed the rifle and my face, took a hit straight on the end of the nose from about 15m away. I looked like Rudolph for a good two weeks!

I've been shot in the forehead right in the middle by a damn sniper that bloody hurt and that's why I wear a lower face mask and to top it off the missus was crying with laughter when I got home I had a spot there for a week

• Supporters

Personally comparing mouthguards/gumshields from my rugby days with airsoft half face masks especially the mesh ones I can honestly say I'd take the mesh any day. My last gumshield was one of the professionally fitted Opro ones so of high quality.

I found mouthguards/gumshields restrict breathing (so does mesh a little), even the opro one wasn't exactly comfortable, and it really messes with your ability to talk, we would take them out at every opportunity.

While the mesh face protection can be a little uncomfortable, and in the cold there is a little condensation issue on the inside of the mask which is unpleasant, its better than having to pay dentists bills. I've cut out some bits of camping mat foam to place on the top edge and sides of mine, plus some extra elastic over the top, then spent some time sorting the fitting to my face shape and I genuinely forget its there sometimes. I've noticed mine has started to rust after almost 2 years use, I may try removing 1 or 2 cm from the bottom of the mask to see if it is better. I think they key is to mod it to yourself.

Commiserations RC-Dave.

• Supporters

I don't wear mesh/mouthpro for the following reasons:

I like being able to see and I am yet to find a flexible solution which does not fog my glasses.

I WILL NOT wear mesh eyewear, I take a risk of this on my teeth, but my eyes aren't getting a risk of BB fragment etc.

Mesh masks are uncomfortable and get in the way of almost every other item of gear.

They obstruct your face and as someone who marshals regularly, this impacts on how you can communicate with customers/other airsofters.

This is the same reason for the lack of a gumshield, it impacts communication.

On a side note, whilst the topic is about, has anyone ever found a slimline gumshield? is there such a thing? A gumshield does seem like the best option for someone who doesn't value looks/scars (thanks acne) on the face and who can get away with scabs on the face at work.

• Supporters

On a side note, whilst the topic is about, has anyone ever found a slimline gumshield? is there such a thing? A gumshield does seem like the best option for someone who doesn't value looks/scars (thanks acne) on the face and who can get away with scabs on the face at work.

I've always wondered whether the plastic retainers you get after having braces removed would provide much in terms of protection- very thin however I'm not sure about the effect a BB would have on it.

I've been shot in the forehead right in the middle by a damn sniper that bloody hurt and that's why I wear a lower face mask and to top it off the missus was crying with laughter when I got home I had a spot there for a week

thb, not getting the face hits is one of the reasons I do not like lower face mask... althou I was glad I had it when I passed thru a door, dead and took friendly fire square in face at a two feet or so distance.

if you're not wearing a lower face mask, why not wear a mouth guard?

If you look at the pic you will notice, the tooth that got shot out is on the lower gum.. actually, it would have sucked even more, as he would have worn protection and still lost a tooth.

also, I wouldn't trust my mauy thai mouth guard against BBs anyway. They are designed to take a fist sized blow to the face. not a 6mm bb at 300fps+

I haven't lost it! I know exactly where it is!

Still got pieces of my ex tooth.

No sympathy from me. It's only a game, not worth losing your teeth over.

+1

thou, I do give my sympathy.

So after 5 years of playing with no lower face protection.

1175rp2.jpg

well, yeah.

Obvisouly, it needs a crown on it, but there isn't much tooth left on the inside of my mouth as far as I can see. I've still got the tooth top part and it fits reasonably well, is it possible for a dentist to simply glue it back on with something? or is it going to be the whole costly go in, numb mouth routine?

It's not revealed the nerve or shattered anything either.

And as if to make it worse, there is only 1 group of people on this planet worse than paintballers, Dentists -_-

Cheers

Dave

dont think they can glue the piece on. but bring it in anyway, might help to assess to damage or something. problem with this kind of damage is that it can be more than it looks like. nerves can be dead etc.

Saying that, the tooth I snapped, they built a new one from *dunno* and it looks like the damage never happened.

• Supporters

You can get double gum shields, but they're even worse for communication and breathing. There's a channel in the middle that has a peg in it, so when you heat it up to mould it to your bite, the channel stays open, then you pull the peg out to breath through - but it's pretty small, maybe ok for athletic types, but my smoker's lungs need more volume of air to get enough oxygen for my sluggish arterio-vascular system to shift around my carcass :lol:

TBH Dave, I hate dentists so much that I would have a serious go at gluing it back on with superglue before I went near any of the fuckers. Like Nick said, you can mod a mesh mask to be comfortable - i used foam, more elastic and some paracord. I barely notice it too, unless I forget to pull the main strap tight at the start of a day. It doesn't interfere with my aim, but if it did, I'd cut a section out of the lower right cheek, just making sure my gob was covered.

As far as I know you will have to have it capped, which will entail the nerve being removed, a temp filling, and going back to get the porcelain tooth glued in. I suspect that they probably do use superglue. I hope you don't mind but I've purloined your pic for my Facebook Album "Airsoft Is An Adventure Sport" which you are welcome to become a contributor thereto if you friend me.

Up until my last skirmish I only wore goggles and a scarf around my lower face but after taking 3 hits at close range defending a fort and having extreme pain and marks for a week I have got myself a mesh lower face guard.

• Supporters

Haven't read most of the posts, but to answer your question regarding slimmer mouthguards, have a google for 'sisu mouthguards'

• Supporters

I wear these; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005ESHP06

1.6mm thick so I can talk perfectly comfortably, drinking is equally easy... Eating isn't advised though!

Got a photo of you modelling it or anything? I can't really tell what I'm looking at.

I never wear lower face protection either, I've worn it twice, one was for a gauntlet run and it ended up not being needed, the second was at Skirmish CQB the other week; but after the first game of having it on and being sick of it riding up my face and pushing my eye pro out of place whenever I looked down for whatever reason, I just gave up on it after the first game.

I've been shot in the lip before, it exploded and was a mess, and I've even had shots hit me directly in the tooth that have bounced off at under 15m from a gun that stung like a mothertrucker if it hit you anywhere else.

I know there'll come a time when my teeth get obliterated, but up to now I'd rather take the risk than wear something that I feel puts me at a disadvantage, and with regard to it moving my eye pro around, potentially greater risk to boot.

There's got to be a better solution.

I used to wear a mesh mask, however, it kept (as Ed said) pushing my eye pro up to much and also rubbed the bridge of my nose.

I am now using this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006HG8GCA/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have put a thin bit of 3mm rubber on the inside.

It means I can pull it up over my mouth and BB's just ping off but its not to think that i can pull the 'snood' down around my neck without it bunching too much due to the rubber

Works quite well - much better than mesh

• Supporters

Not a perfect solution, but much better than nothing, would be to cable tie a piece of heavyweight mesh to the boom of a headset mic, so it floats in front of your mouth - spray it to match a loadout - Robert's the bloke shagging your mum while your dad's in jail!

I've got some from which I could cut a piece if you want to try out Ed - I got it fairly cheap hoping that it would work for goggles but its wires are too thick.

Something like this also works - doesnt touch your face so clear for mikes, drinks, doesnt mess with eyepro or rub your nose

http://www.365airsoftshop.com/images/IBH%20helmet%20tan%202.jpg

BUT - i cant be bothered wearing a helmet! much prefer my baseball cap

• Supporters

Got a photo of you modelling it or anything? I can't really tell what I'm looking at.

Funny you should say that.... here's one with my mouth closed, none of the usual bulge you get with a big mouthguard in:

22f134b9-f3eb-40a1-a073-31364a43ff85.jpg

And here's what it looks like with my teeth 'exposed':

f45c9ee6-023e-434d-8979-85de0fccea36.jpg

I've had to edit the images for persec reasons, can't have all those foreign intelligence agencies knowing my face!

Archived