Why can't I spray Matt Paint and make it Matt?

CaptainSwoop
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

How are you preparing it.

I normally key it up with some wire wool. Alight coat of grey primer. Then spray. Amatt finish will still have a very dim sheen to it.

This finish I am getting has a 'dim sheen' which looks ok on some perts but I am trying to get it dead flat.

I was thinking of breaking out my Aztek Airbrush I use for Mil Modelling and giving it a coat of Testors Dullcoat.

What paint is it?

most "matte" finish paints have a dull sheen to them. You want to get the ultra flat krylon or the Halfords camo paint as that is perfectly matt finish.

Personaly I'm using a cheep a*Bib*s spray paint i get for like 3-4$ (In Denmark) and it suck! Untill one day I was spraying a pease and the paint started to run (I was in a hurry) ...

I tired to stop it running by "dipping" a towel gently on it to absorb the paint... And it ended up perfectly matt :-)

I know every painter will call me a "cheep, noob painter" (Yes I'm noob painter and also cheep. he he.) but after that I has always (with the cheep paint) been able to make a nice mat paint by spraying matt: With the can 20-30 cm from the subject, doing shot spray "bursts" of max 1 sec. And when half dry dipping it with a towel ...

Maby it's just me, but it works fine for me (but I know is not supposed to be done that way) ...

• Supporters

Halfords rattle cans are gash. Too much solvent and not enough paint. You'll definitely want to use a primer if you go down that route.

• Supporters

I don't bother priming or keying the surface. In fact I don't even bother cleaning it unless there's anything obvious like tape residue which needs to go. I use Krylon sprayed from about 25cm in several thin coats. This turns out completely flat with no sheen at all, unless I have been impatient and sprayed a new coat before the last was properly dry to the touch and/or sprayed too much paint in a single coat - the paint builds up in pre-run-drop-stylee blobs which dry with faint sheen.

To protect the paint job I use Krylon Clear Coat - that is not quite as flat as the paint alone, but it is good enough - definitely still matte. TBH I haven't yet painted anything for airsoft which I really want to turn out as good as possible and if/when I do I expect I will clean the surface with meths/rubbing alcohol and use two coats of primer. But I reckon that patience is still the key thing in getting a good result. I will say this however, 2-3 coats of Clear Coat not only cover a variety of sins but make the paint job as resistant to wear as you're reasonably going to get from a non-industrial process.

Archived