DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I made mine out of safety glasses so the vision is crystal clear and safety rated. :)

well, it was safety rated before you chopped it up^^ I'd trust my the few layers of plastic bottle I used for airsoft eyewear, no problema! althou it would be a bit annoying!

well, it was safety rated before you chopped it up^^ I'd trust my the few layers of plastic bottle I used for airsoft eyewear, no problema! althou it would be a bit annoying!

It's plastic, not glass. Cutting it wouldn't effect the impact rating as long as the bit I use hasn't had layers taken off. Plastic bottle would work with a few layers the only draw back as you said is it might make the light duller.

• Supporters

£280, what was I thinking! It's £232 a roll. £5 a meter!

Oh, well that makes all the difference! What was I thinking!?! I'll have two, please... rolls that is, obviously. Mad not to at that price, eh?

• Supporters

Shotgun primers are cheaper and you can use them pretty much anywhere. 9mm are louder so more fun :)

• Supporters

Best check with your site/s what they allow though...

The holes saw skipped Ian, not sure if you still want it. This is the problem when you don't use a pilot drill to guide the holesaw.

The pilot drill is a 6mm drill bit. As BBs are 6mm it's near enough impossible for them to go through it. You sure you don't want me to use the pilot drill?

post-8040-0-14986800-1384898123_thumb.jpg

The holes saw skipped Ian, not sure if you still want it. This is the problem when you don't use a pilot drill to guide the holesaw.

The pilot drill is a 6mm drill bit. As BBs are 6mm it's near enough impossible for them to go through it. You sure you don't want me to use the pilot drill?

This is with the pilot drill..

post-8040-0-95396500-1384900056_thumb.jpg

It's plastic, not glass. Cutting it wouldn't effect the impact rating as long as the bit I use hasn't had layers taken off. Plastic bottle would work with a few layers the only draw back as you said is it might make the light duller.

fair enough, what do I know about plastic..

oh and shotgun primers gives plenty enough boom.. for cqb anyway!

I have just tested my new light. Its a cateye bike light that I use regularly when cycling. I took a spare bracket and epoxy glued it to the front hand grip of My MP5SD. Layer of black paint over the epoxy and job done. Its a bit bulkier that the torches everyone else uses but its also a bit more robust and has a very wide beam with a bright spot in the middle for aiming. Its also very easy to remove it and place it to illuminate a doorway without giving your position away.

• Supporters

@Cheeky V: nah, it's a dead loss with that much scratch i'd say :'( is there anyway i could pay you for some of the uncut article? I might have more luck with a dremmel, going at it gently a bit at a time rather than all or nothing.

• Supporters

I have just tested my new light. Its a cateye bike light that I use regularly when cycling. I took a spare bracket and epoxy glued it to the front hand grip of My MP5SD. Layer of black paint over the epoxy and job done. Its a bit bulkier that the torches everyone else uses but its also a bit more robust and has a very wide beam with a bright spot in the middle for aiming. Its also very easy to remove it and place it to illuminate a doorway without giving your position away.

A little off topic perhaps, but did you happen to play in the courthouse in bristol this evening? A fella there had pretty much the exact same mod!

@Cheeky V: nah, it's a dead loss with that much scratch i'd say :'( is there anyway i could pay you for some of the uncut article? I might have more luck with a dremmel, going at it gently a bit at a time rather than all or nothing.

Those glasses are pretty much done. We do have a few other ones but they lenses don't seem to be as thick as the ones I were using. I'll keep an eye and have a look round later on. We have about 30 brand new pairs but it feel such a waste to just cut a pair up.

So I ran out of ammo last time I played and my bag I keep my BBs is too big to carry round during a game. I'm trying to come up with a solution to carry roughly 1000 BBs without being too bulky or noisy. I know there are some bags you can get on ebay for about £6 but has anyone else came up with something?

• Supporters

That cock'n'balls shaped BB bag I mentioned earlier is my solution to a few problems with those bags ppl make for fleabay. The main one is that a soft bag is fuck all use for pouring BB's b/c wherever you hold it with one hand one end is hanging down - either the bottle neck 'spout' making a bid for freedom, or the bag holding the BB's below so they aren't pouring. You can just about wrangle a handful inside the bag, but it's not as quick and easy as you want if you're doing it in the field under fire/taking time when your team need you.

Most hi cap mags or speedloaders have a hatch that is too small to pour straight into from a bottle neck, but if you constrict a BB container spout much more than that the BB's jam up against themselves so then you have to shake it, making a noise and taking yonks as they only pour a few more before jamming again. Best bet is to hold the mag/speadloader in one hand with the crook of your thumb wrapped around the opening acting as a funnel, which allows you to pour straight out of a bottle neck without any bother.

But a bottle rattles, hence using a bag, right? And a bag is awkward to pour from... How about both? More of the bottle than just the neck & lid so it adds a bit of structure to the bag which makes it easy to pour from, sort of a scoop shape with the bottle cut diagonally from the shoulder and whatever size/shape of bag you like/can sew underneath that. To stop it rattling I used that thin white packing foam wrap stuff cut to fit exactly and glued to the inside of the bottle. I then glued the outside of the bottle to the inside of an old Norje sleeve and stitched through the bottle and cloth to make sure. I would say it's the dog's bollocks, but you can see that it's actually the donkey's cock and bollocks :lol:

That shape came about purely by accident because I wanted the bottom to have the same footprint as a Crusader cup, so it would fit neatly into a PLCE canteen pouch. So I turned the cup upside down and drew round it, added a bit for the seam and sewed it. Obviously using a sleeve gives it a foreskin, but it's the simplest way to go about it - a sleeve is already exactly the shape you need to fit a bottle into. Tip: be careful not to over-tighten the lid - it's easily done and it makes the top disc pop off the threaded part of the lid!

IMAG1638.jpg

That cock'n'balls shaped BB bag I mentioned earlier is my solution to a few problems with those bags ppl make for fleabay. The main one is that a soft bag is f*ck all use for pouring BB's b/c wherever you hold it with one hand one end is hanging down - either the bottle neck 'spout' making a bid for freedom, or the bag holding the BB's below so they aren't pouring. You can just about wrangle a handful inside the bag, but it's not as quick and easy as you want if you're doing it in the field under fire/taking time when your team need you.

Most hi cap mags or speedloaders have a hatch that is too small to pour straight into from a bottle neck, but if you constrict a BB container spout much more than that the BB's jam up against themselves so then you have to shake it, making a noise and taking yonks as they only pour a few more before jamming again. Best bet is to hold the mag/speadloader in one hand with the crook of your thumb wrapped around the opening acting as a funnel, which allows you to pour straight out of a bottle neck without any bother.

But a bottle rattles, hence using a bag, right? And a bag is awkward to pour from... How about both? More of the bottle than just the neck & lid so it adds a bit of structure to the bag which makes it easy to pour from, sort of a scoop shape with the bottle cut diagonally from the shoulder and whatever size/shape of bag you like/can sew underneath that. To stop it rattling I used that thin white packing foam wrap stuff cut to fit exactly and glued to the inside of the bottle. I then glued the outside of the bottle to the inside of an old Norje sleeve and stitched through the bottle and cloth to make sure. I would say it's the dog's bollocks, but you can see that it's actually the donkey's cock and bollocks :lol:

That shape came about purely by accident because I wanted the bottom to have the same footprint as a Crusader cup, so it would fit neatly into a PLCE canteen pouch. So I turned the cup upside down and drew round it, added a bit for the seam and sewed it. Obviously using a sleeve gives it a foreskin, but it's the simplest way to go about it - a sleeve is already exactly the shape you need to fit a bottle into. Tip: be careful not to over-tighten the lid - it's easily done and it makes the top disc pop off the threaded part of the lid!

IMAG1638.jpg

Make me one! Lol

Mine is looking pretty shit :/

• Supporters

I haven't got another sleeve handy, mate, and nothing I feel inclined to cut one off @mo either... I'll keep an eye out though.

• Supporters

I did something simmilar with an old black sock, those thin plain black ones that people wear for school work well and a coke bottle. I've also got a home made funnel made from 2 Fanta lids that had the insides of the tops removed and then glued together top to top, this allows me to screw it onto the top of my coke bottle making a handy filling funnel for decanting bbs into the sock.

I don't like the blaster bottle tops as they do what Ian says in his post. But coke bottles have to be able to withstand a great deal of pressure. I've not had major feeding blockages with coke bottles either as the coke bottle has a really nice smooth cone shape.

A little off topic perhaps, but did you happen to play in the courthouse in bristol this evening? A fella there had pretty much the exact same mod!

Was he wearing DPM? Was probably me :)

My next DIY job is to sort out once and for all the glasses misting up issues I have. I have one of these gas mask face masks:

41OaUqu2y9L._SX100_.jpg

I found out that the lenses can be shot out too easily so I have used epoxy glue to reinforce around the inside.

There is a small fan inside the filter running off 2x AA batteries, I found it unreliable and when it works its okay but a little more airflow would be better. I have now cut out all the plastic internal structure of the filter and fitted an old 12V CPU cooling fan. Now all I need to do is build a power supply to fit in my shirt pocket or maybe attached to my chest rig.

If this doesn't work, then I will just need: A big backpack, portable air dehumidifier, an old air con unit......

My next DIY job is to sort out once and for all the glasses misting up issues I have. I have one of these gas mask face masks:

41OaUqu2y9L._SX100_.jpg

I found out that the lenses can be shot out too easily so I have used epoxy glue to reinforce around the inside.

There is a small fan inside the filter running off 2x AA batteries, I found it unreliable and when it works its okay but a little more airflow would be better. I have now cut out all the plastic internal structure of the filter and fitted an old 12V CPU cooling fan. Now all I need to do is build a power supply to fit in my shirt pocket or maybe attached to my chest rig.

If this doesn't work, then I will just need: A big backpack, portable air dehumidifier, an old air con unit......

Sounds like more hassle than its worth.

That cock'n'balls shaped BB bag I mentioned earlier is my solution to a few problems with those bags ppl make for fleabay. The main one is that a soft bag is f*ck all use for pouring BB's b/c wherever you hold it with one hand one end is hanging down - either the bottle neck 'spout' making a bid for freedom, or the bag holding the BB's below so they aren't pouring. You can just about wrangle a handful inside the bag, but it's not as quick and easy as you want if you're doing it in the field under fire/taking time when your team need you.

So after thinking for a few hours and looking at your picture for inspiration I've come up with this! A ziplock bag and an elastic band! I can keep the bag tight so no noise at all. Simples!

post-8040-0-50219500-1384999588_thumb.jpg

Probably. I bought the mask, modified it to fit better, found out the lenses weren't secure enough so reinforced them and when I tried skirmishing in it it worked better than anything I have tried so far to solve the glasses misting issue. I'm confident that upgrading the fan will be the final step needed to make this the perfect face protection. If I had known all the issues beforehand, it would be a different story.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.