DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Probably. I bought the mask, modified it to fit better, found out the lenses weren't secure enough so reinforced them and when I tried skirmishing in it it worked better than anything I have tried so far to solve the glasses misting issue. I'm confident that upgrading the fan will be the final step needed to make this the perfect face protection. If I had known all the issues beforehand, it would be a different story.

What about mesh?

mesh traps just enough moisture to be a PITA.

Goggles on their own work okay (for a couple of hours), but as soon as your wear glasses as well the number of mist-able surfaces is trebled.

Any lower face protection keeps moisture in the vicinity of your eyewear.

The benefit of this mask is it pumps air into the eye section of the mask so it flows down from there into the mouth and nose section. This prevents the moist air moving up to where it can do harm as well as keeping a constant flow of dry air over all lenses. Its actually a brilliant idea, just such a shame the design was executed so poorly. Anyway, I am 1 connector, a battery or battery pack and a switch away from the perfect face mask now.

Its one of those projects that at each stage has seemed one step away from completion. It's therefore hard to give up. It hasn't cost much to do either. The mask was about £20 but after that, I have spent only £1 on some glue.

if you get misted up glasses you should get a pot of.....

41SGbye697L._SX385_.jpg

put some on your lenses the night before on both sides and leave it to "dry" then the next morning use a lint free cloth to get rid of all the goo and any smears...

i use this stuff religiously now and its incredible

• Supporters

So after thinking for a few hours and looking at your picture for inspiration I've come up with this! A ziplock bag and an elastic band! I can keep the bag tight so no noise at all. Simples!

Ur so shit.

I bought a single sling for my mp5 awhile ago and when it arrived I found the strap was too small and the clip on it was way too big. Some people suggested using a key ring hoop and clipping the sling to that. As you can see from the picture the keyring stripped the gun of its paint within about 30 seconds (I was going to respray but I think it gives it abit of character).

I weren't happy with the keyring so what I've come up with was acquiring a fire extinguisher strap from work and a small strap that fits on the gun. I like the fact it has a buckle on the strap for quick release. I originally fitting it with a metal carabiner but found it awkward to put it on and take it off.

What's everyone think of it? The fire extinguisher strap was originally bright red but a bit of black spray sorted that.

post-8040-0-32140600-1385052597_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

Looks ok on my phone, but then again so does Cher... Just received some 3M safety glasses to cut up for optic protection - £1.67 not bad if they actually work. They're supposed to be able to withstand a 0.86g 6mm BB @120m/s but they feel like my CO2 pistol will put a dink in the lens.

Have to wait a while for a test though cos I'm away from home again.

Looks ok on my phone, but then again so does Cher... Just received some 3M safety glasses to cut up for optic protection - £1.67 not bad if they actually work. They're supposed to be able to withstand a 0.86g 6mm BB @120m/s but they feel like my CO2 pistol will put a dink in the lens.

Have to wait a while for a test though cos I'm away from home again.

The 6mm BB that they would of tested them with would of been metal aswell if they're safety glasses.

3m safety glasses will absolutely stand up to an airsoft gun, no doubt about it. I expect they'll be designed with stopping high speed, sharp bits of metal from exploding drills/lathes etc so 6mm plastic balls at slow speed will be nothing.

Yea, if you google the safety rating that's printed on the glasses you can see how they are tested.

• Supporters

I suspect you're right James, but I promise you, in the hand they don't inspire connfidence @all! 120m/s is only 394FPS too; that extra 30m/s may make all the difference when it comes to resisting scratches. I don't want to have to dismantle my 551 and cut a new protector everytime it gets hit. Easy enough for my torch b/c the bezel unscrews, but the sight will need a semi-permanent bodge solution.

BTW, before anyone suggests it, I know you can buy them ready made for Eotechs - got one. It's shit!

first attempt at a Home Made Smoke Grenade

I'll be halving the the amount to hopefully reduce the fire amount.

P.S. ED wishes I was in his basement lol.

• Supporters

What the hell, Geoff? Who let you out of the incinerator?

• Supporters

What's in it, Geoff? Potassium Nitrate & Sugar?

What the hell, Geoff? Who let you out of the incinerator?

Imagine me as the English Chuck Norris, and you won't be far off B) .

What's in it, Geoff? Potassium Nitrate & Sugar?

yep, plus tallow as the smoking agent, stinks of animal fat but works better than wax.

• Supporters

Imagine me as the English Chuck Norris, and you won't be far off B) .

I'm sure you could twat Chuck Norris. I know I could.

yep, plus tallow as the smoking agent, stinks of animal fat but works better than wax.

Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

No, not for me. Maybe vegetable suet... or margarine and wax?

What weights did you use?

I'm sure you could tw*t Chuck Norris. I know I could.

Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

No, not for me. Maybe vegetable suet... or margarine and wax?

What weights did you use?

this is the video I used

• Supporters

That vid you worked from is a corker, mate! I mean good job for a first go and all that, but bloody hell, the one you were working from produces far more smoke than those commercial coloured ones we get. I wonder whether anyone would allow us to use them on their site? First instinct is no, but they don't explode, so you never know...

My next DIY job is to sort out once and for all the glasses misting up issues I have. I have one of these gas mask face masks:

41OaUqu2y9L._SX100_.jpg

I found out that the lenses can be shot out too easily so I have used epoxy glue to reinforce around the inside.

There is a small fan inside the filter running off 2x AA batteries, I found it unreliable and when it works its okay but a little more airflow would be better. I have now cut out all the plastic internal structure of the filter and fitted an old 12V CPU cooling fan. Now all I need to do is build a power supply to fit in my shirt pocket or maybe attached to my chest rig.

If this doesn't work, then I will just need: A big backpack, portable air dehumidifier, an old air con unit......

Well my mask is now ready for actual testing so I might be going to the courthouse on Tuesday and/or Thursday. The new fan is a little overpowered so I very much doubt any fogging will occur. The only issue may be that it's a bit noisy. I may have to add in a potentiometer to adjust the power at some point or possibly drill more holes in the filter to reduce the sucking noise. I ended up wiring the fan to a tamiya connector via about 2ft of wire allowing me to use a 7.6V battery pack, which should sit in my shirt pocket.

Well my mask is now ready for actual testing so I might be going to the courthouse on Tuesday and/or Thursday. The new fan is a little overpowered so I very much doubt any fogging will occur. The only issue may be that it's a bit noisy. I may have to add in a potentiometer to adjust the power at some point or possibly drill more holes in the filter to reduce the sucking noise. I ended up wiring the fan to a tamiya connector via about 2ft of wire allowing me to use a 7.6V battery pack, which should sit in my shirt pocket.

Just don't take off like a helicopter!

Hehe, next I plan to reverse the polarity to deflect incoming fire :D

This may also help when I get suctioned onto any walls :D

• Supporters

Hehe, next I plan to reverse the polarity to deflect incoming fire :D

When I saw that in my email, having forgotten the gist of the thread, I was thinking, "Eh? Star Trek?"

I recently bought a belt as I'm getting tired of pouches making my chest bulky. The idea is to keep mags only on my chest with spare ammo, drop pouch and anything else really on the belt.

As it was a spur of the moment idea I didn't want to splash out on the belt only to find I didn't like the idea so I picked one up for £10. The size I got was medium but it's massive and mis-shaped. I'm hoping the shape of it will loosen up as it gets more used. As for the size I've managed to stick on some buckles and I strapped the back to vest so I don't have to struggle to clip it in every time I put it on.

What'd you think, stupid idea?

post-8040-0-60849400-1385482456_thumb.jpg

post-8040-0-95949800-1385482482_thumb.jpg

post-8040-0-32907700-1385482509_thumb.jpg

That cock'n'balls shaped BB bag I mentioned earlier is my solution to a few problems with those bags ppl make for fleabay. The main one is that a soft bag is f*ck all use for pouring BB's b/c wherever you hold it with one hand one end is hanging down - either the bottle neck 'spout' making a bid for freedom, or the bag holding the BB's below so they aren't pouring. You can just about wrangle a handful inside the bag, but it's not as quick and easy as you want if you're doing it in the field under fire/taking time when your team need you.

Most hi cap mags or speedloaders have a hatch that is too small to pour straight into from a bottle neck, but if you constrict a BB container spout much more than that the BB's jam up against themselves so then you have to shake it, making a noise and taking yonks as they only pour a few more before jamming again. Best bet is to hold the mag/speadloader in one hand with the crook of your thumb wrapped around the opening acting as a funnel, which allows you to pour straight out of a bottle neck without any bother.

But a bottle rattles, hence using a bag, right? And a bag is awkward to pour from... How about both? More of the bottle than just the neck & lid so it adds a bit of structure to the bag which makes it easy to pour from, sort of a scoop shape with the bottle cut diagonally from the shoulder and whatever size/shape of bag you like/can sew underneath that. To stop it rattling I used that thin white packing foam wrap stuff cut to fit exactly and glued to the inside of the bottle. I then glued the outside of the bottle to the inside of an old Norje sleeve and stitched through the bottle and cloth to make sure. I would say it's the dog's bollocks, but you can see that it's actually the donkey's cock and bollocks :lol:

That shape came about purely by accident because I wanted the bottom to have the same footprint as a Crusader cup, so it would fit neatly into a PLCE canteen pouch. So I turned the cup upside down and drew round it, added a bit for the seam and sewed it. Obviously using a sleeve gives it a foreskin, but it's the simplest way to go about it - a sleeve is already exactly the shape you need to fit a bottle into. Tip: be careful not to over-tighten the lid - it's easily done and it makes the top disc pop off the threaded part of the lid!

I finally caved...

post-8040-0-08163800-1385639327_thumb.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.