DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Dammit!

With the speed loader partly done and the mechanism glued together cos I lost the tiny screws, I have realised that if I had removed the anti reversal mechanism, it would have emptied the mags in a controlled way too. :angry:

something I've been working on

S1790006_zpsb566bb3f.jpg

S1790005_zpsc4d4101e.jpg

S1790003_zpsbefe63d9.jpg

S1790009_zpsb5326488.jpg

S1790001_zps69cf6103.jpg

It's a bit difficult to crawl around if your not already prepared, and it does have a bit of a tendency to snag (fortunately it is very strong, and the branch or whatever it has snagged on is more likely to break than the cloak), it is very good at keeping me hidden and it dissipates the shape to the point that I don't have to really try that hard to prevent a passing observance.

And most of all, I think it looks cool.

for the future I need to improve the fastenings, something quick release would be nice.

something I've been working on

*snip*

It's a bit difficult to crawl around if your not already prepared, and it does have a bit of a tendency to snag (fortunately it is very strong, and the branch or whatever it has snagged on is more likely to break than the cloak), it is very good at keeping me hidden and it dissipates the shape to the point that I don't have to really try that hard to prevent a passing observance.

And most of all, I think it looks cool.

for the future I need to improve the fastenings, something quick release would be nice.

Was disappointed when you revealed a gun not a lightsaber :(

For a quick release fastener, I would use a bow at the neck. Had you considered starching it so that when you take it off it becomes a decoy? :D

Edited by Nutster
Removed pics (do you really need to quote the post directly above?

Was disappointed when you revealed a gun not a lightsaber :(

For a quick release fastener, I would use a bow at the neck. Had you considered starching it so that when you take it off it becomes a decoy? :D

Forget a lightsaber, I want to charge with one of these http://www.thevikingstore.co.uk/larp-dark-moon---chainsword-2563-p.asp :D

One of the first ideas was a bow at the neck, it didn't work that well because the weight of the cloak basically strangled me initially, and when attaching it to the front of the PC it made it ride up on the front too much (again strangling) and made getting to the front pouches nigh on impossible. Attaching it to the D-rings on the shoulders allowed the weight to settle on the centre (with the front part nicely balancing it).

The end plan is to use one of those TF3 hard armour pieces (dipped in ATACS FG) and a belt set up with the cloak, I was thinking maybe setting some buckles on the armour in strategic places should allow some quick release/attachment.

Funny story in regards to the decoy part, we were playing an assault the village game (very quick fire) so I ditched the cloak halfway to our spawn (took a bit of a wide detour). Got hit out and went to collect my cloak, and I heard some really aggressive shouting, "Take your F****** hits" "Stop being such a C***", walked up to the side of them with my hand up and a marshal was coming to investigate the problem. Cue me (rather sheepishly) walking out to pick up my cloak and hood, with the 2 opfor having all the colour drain from their faces and looking very dumbstruck, and the marshal clutching his sides laughing so hard.

Might actually add this to the funny story section :)

That cloak looks really good but I'd it heavy? What's it made of?

It is rather heavy, but not unuseably heavy, a lot of weight should come off when I make the turn up perfect in regards to my height (so that I don't trip over) and I can cut it off. It's 1000D cordura and extremely strong, to the point that I'd have no problem cutting it and using it as a rope.

My speedloader is complete but it seems the power needed to push BB's into a mag is more than the plastic allen key socket on the high cap can take. I can turn the allen key and BB's will come out of the nozzle on the high cap so the concept is sound. I'm not however interested enough to spend more than the £1 I have spent on this to get it working. If however someone wants an idea to compete with Elite Force feel free to steal this idea. You could even have a powerdrill attached to it for really fast reloads :)

• Supporters

Geoff you star! You need some pointy ears with that cloak though, as it's clearly from Lothlorien.

Bummer, Russ.

Some Paracord engineering and bodge rigging.

First off some simple bits like securing the holster,it's fairly soft and this stops it flopping about when the Pot Metal Pulverizer© (My M9) is seated inside.

CMvPBLL.jpg

Next is my bodge pouch. Made a simple retention system,Elastic bands,some foam to space it out,wood in the bottom to help it keep shape and a piece of plastic inside to also help keep shape. I can move about the amount of bands so I can fit what I need.I Can fit about 3 AK mags with a bit a squeeze and minimum retention,I can also fit 3 GHK G5 mags well enough.

2iXw7jV.jpg

NF1LLeY.jpg

I've had it for the past two games I've been too and it works well.Haven't lost a thing from it,Especially useful when I forget to close the pouch.

I usually jam in my dead rag and bandage too further front.

Thinking of cutting it up a bit to have one retained section and one loose section for misc objects.

Pics came out blurry because my camera's focus is set by using the touchscreen which is being a penis atm.

I do the same with my ALICE gear RE the paracord UTJ, it's actually was Special forces used to do also to save on weight by removing all metal clips and replacing them with paracord equivalents, also helped with noise lol.

• 2 weeks later...

That cloak is pretty tidy Geoffrey, are you still able to tell you have been hit wearing it?

any rounds do make a very satisfying thud and it is very easy to hear, try holding a towel out in front of you while being shot at and you'll see what I mean.

The only rounds I missed was when the hood was down and cloak was swept back, so when I was shot in the back I had about 5 layers of 1000D cordura as well as a hydration carrier and my plate carrier, so I'm giving myself that :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the hexagon pattern, did you use scissors to cut them out or some kind of fancy hole puncher?

Thanks, I used a craft knife. The template was found on Google but I had thought about doing a hexagonal pattern before.

• Supporters

The main difference is that because the LED is only on one side the BBs only glow on one side. If you're in the dark it's plenty to see where you're shooting though.

Sgt Talbert, Lozart, and I were discussing tracer mags on this page.

Does the tube have a shiny interior, Loz? If not, that could be a way of getting a more even distribution of glow on the BB's - line it with some Mylar space-blanket.

heres a couple of things ive gotten round to photographing...

firstly a mag pouch, made out of an old pouch for keeping a telescope in, added velcro and molle attachments on the back. now comforatably takes a mag or speedloader.

DSCN0853_zps061a88fd.jpg

next is my pistol pouch. pistol kept catching on the rim of material so duct taped that so it dosent catch(added black tape over that to blend in better). also put some fuzz over the inner velcro to match the size of my pistol perfectly. and whlist i was at it i added the metal clip as you can see so that i can easily locate the joint and open it without looking just by touch. makes drawing whilst still keeping my eyes on my opponent possible...

DSCN0852_zps1a168027.jpg

• Supporters

Sgt Talbert, Lozart, and I were discussing tracer mags on this page.

Does the tube have a shiny interior, Loz? If not, that could be a way of getting a more even distribution of glow on the BB's - line it with some Mylar space-blanket.

Not shiny, no. It's just the standard black tube. I think I have some ESD wallets for electronics stuff that's shiny. Might try that.

• Supporters

Modified fore end to solve the iron sight/gas block issue.

That's pretty snazzy :P

• Supporters

Here's something I've been working on. I've cut the nose from a mesh face mask so it doesn't interfere with my goggles but while still protecting my teeth

http://i.imgur.com/fuHO8Ca.jpg

I'm making a start on a mesh facemask modification myself. Tying strands of embroidery thread to it to make a Moustache.

All the main British characters had moustaches, if you didn't have one, chances are your character gets killed. I take this as proof that adding a moustache to a face mask will make me harder to hit.

It was apparently compulsory to have a moustache in the British army up until WW1, look at the death toll that resulted in!

• Supporters

Here's something I've been working on. I've cut the nose from a mesh face mask so it doesn't interfere with my goggles but while still protecting my teeth

http://i.imgur.com/fuHO8Ca.jpg

Does that not chafe your skin, Arden?

• Supporters

Nope not at all Ian. I played with it yesterday and it's brilliant. You forget your even wearing it. I'll upload a picture of it now it's finished in abit

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.