Benefits of yellow tinted glasses?

Oshia
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What are the benefits of yellow tinted glasses when shooting?

protects against red lasers

Thought that was orange tint, you always see experimental physicists wearing them in experiments using helium neon/argon lasers

No use with spotting movement better with people in ghillie's or anything like that?
I'm just buying some new specs, my last ones are mirrored and my face became a shining target in CQB when the torches were on me.

I have a pair with clear and yellow swappable lenses. The clear are good in very low light i.e dense undergrowth but the yellow give better contrast in medium light.

Yellow actually absorbs UV and blue light and can make things seem clearer/more distinct.

• Supporters

protects against red lasers

WTF, no! Safety specs/goggles do not protect against lasers unless they're specifically rated to do so. Laser protective eyewear is pretty niche, yellow tint will do NOTHING to protect your eyes from lasers regardless of the colour of the laser.

Yellow specs are supposed to improve contrast and make seeing easier in the early morning/evening when the quality of light isn't brilliant. 99% of the time you're better off with clear lenses.

as some people may have said, they absorb UV and blue light making things clearer. they are good to wear all day but best in dawn and dusk when the sun acts on the atmosphere differently causing the orange light. they do nothing against infrared.

The fact it filters blue means that you can detect movement easier but because the contrast is higher it means your eyes will become more tired quicker.

apparently the best glasses are photo chromatic lenses which change depending on the light.

Just like with sun glasses, the color on the glass don't doo s*bib*. It's the filtering (witch in most cases will color the glass) that effects light.... Eg. You can get glass with UV protection that are near white (not 100% clear). And you can also get dark black glasses with no uv filtering properties ....

So my point is: It's not the color it's the filtering properties ....

But most colored glasses are filtering light, and most of them focus on 3 things.

1: Low light contrasts. (I can't realy understand how one helps with low light, by limiting spesific light wave lengths? More light should equal better view ...)

2. Blinding sunlight. (This i get, to not get blinded filter out some light ...)

3. UV rays. (Don't have to be a specific color, it just needs a UV filter on ....)

Personaly I have neaver liked them in airsoft, because they change the perception of color. But some people love them....

So to reccomend (or not) would have to be done on specific glasses not in general. Because as i said you can get 2 glasses that look the same but act differently ...

Also be aware that some (no names, and no pointing fingers) airsoft glass manifatures deliver cheep colored glasses with NO filtering! So they just look diferent but do nothing for your view other than change the color perception a bit.... So read up on the glasses before geting a pair..

Personaly i would always reccoment clear white glass! Unless you are facing a specific problem (Like maby only playing in morning light, or at sunset ) ....

Helps with low light situations

I always wore yellow visors when riding my motorbike at night, really made a difference. Although got fuck tons of glare from oncoming vehicles with their lights on.

The cheeky b******s!! how dare they have their lights on!! :D

I ordered these in the end, I'm a bit worried about them steaming up, but I'll just rip the foam/rubber off if they do, they were only 8 quid.

71dEQXw%2BpJL._SL1500_.jpg

They are already in transit, I can always fiddle with the rubber outing and strategically cut away some parts to let air in.
Either way I have tons of glasses to choose from, I just felt like some yellow ones because my mirrored lenses made me stand out like a penis on a hooker.

• Supporters

Yellow lenses are intended to reduce glare from sunlight entering the atmosphere from close to the horizon, ie at dawn and dusk, where it is shining right at you if you look towards it, which makes your pupils contract to protect your eyes, reducing the amount of light which enters the eye and also the surface area of the retina which is exposed to the image cast on it by the lens. This is important for 2 reasons: colour and detail are resolved by the brain from the signals originating mainly from the central region of the retina and movement is detected from signals originating mainly from the periphery of the retina.

Being glared out then allows still people or those travelling directly towards you to remain invisible - what 1st world war fighter pilots used to call 'the hun in the sun'.

Blue is a shorter wavelength of light than red and it therefore carries more energy. Filtering blue alone therefore reduces the amount of radiation the eye receives by the most for any single colour and by choosing a single colour over reducing the light level across the whole spectrum, with dark shades, small details which may otherwise disappear into shadows remain visible, even though they are colour shifted.

They do not have any useful effect in situations where glare isn't an issue.

• Supporters

I ordered these in the end, I'm a bit worried about them steaming up, but I'll just rip the foam/rubber off if they do, they were only 8 quid.

71dEQXw%2BpJL._SL1500_.jpg

I can confirm that they will fog like the windows of Kate Winslet's roller. I had a pair which fogged in the safe zone before I even started moving, attempted fixes included removing some of the foam, drilling small holes in the lenses for air flow... Nothing worked and they're now sat in a cupboard where they will probably stay for ever.

Ah well, I can always use them for the bike.

I have a pair of daisy c5 glasses. They come with 4 sets of inter changable lenses depending on use.

Neutral Gray: Provide true color definition. Ideal for everyday, all purpose wear

Brown: Increase contrast. Ideal for strong sunlight condition,
Clear MLC: Clear lens with special multi-layer coating. Enhances visual acuity during low light condition
Cadmium Yellow: High contrast yellow lens. Ideal for very low light condition.

The yellow lenses do work in very low light but not so good during the day.

• Supporters

will they help spot movement aswell?

Yes, because they allow your pupils to remain further open than they otherwise would at the intensity of red and yellow light which does pass through them, as opposed to that same intensity when accompanied by the blue portion of the spectrum.

I have the same pair that you have orderd with the yellow lense and they do fog up I doing the best way to stop this is to remove the strap even with no strap they are still secure and don't fall off your face

Cheers almurry, I will cut off the rubber outing off too; apart from the nose rest.
Either that or send them back and order some others.

• Supporters

Either that or send them back and order some others.

That's the way forward. They're unfit for purpose. Supposed to be useful for various adventure sports, yet if you sweat even a little you can't see a 'kin thing - you are entitled to a refund & they are responsible for the cost of return postage.

I sweat like bastard even when its cold.

Archived