F1

sp00n
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

so i normally like F1, but its become very very BORING!!!

all this KERS and DRS is a pain in the back side

but after watching RUSH, it got me wondering ....is F1 too safe??? would it be better if it was more dangerous??

/discuss

• Supporters

Well I didn't exactly mean to have a few of them killed off, but it just seems like the risks are too minimal these days, massive gravel traps, barriers are miles away from the Tarmac :(

the cars stick to the road like glue, you hardly ever see a engine expire etc

KERS and DRS isn't about being safe, it's just about being more "green".

F1 isn't too safe, it's too politically motivated.

Money and environment is the biggest factors to the changes in the last few years.

No fancy aerodynamic parts any more as that requires more workers and testing, thus more money, with lower teams losing out.

Less powerful engines to lower fuel costs, development costs and lower pollution.

New tracks will always be safety orientated. You have the option to make it safer, you will do so.

Gravel traps aren't always the more dangerous option. Look at Alonso who went over that run off kerb last weekend and ended up with 28G going through the car.

All I want back in F1 is the possibility for the engineers to develop what they want on the car (within a certain length)

That and decent tyres that last, although im not blaming pirelli for this one, its the FIA's fault.

• Supporters

I'm not a huge fan of the Tilke circuits, most of them lack character and they all share the same basic principles which make them all broadly similar. (Slow tight turn, long straight with DRS half way down, tight corner or chicane, one long high speed corner etc.) They're all the same. But that's just something to live with, no one is going to make another track like Spa, Suzuka or Monza etc anymore.

Though I think the huge run-off areas these days make it all too easy (relatively speaking) for the drivers to run massively wide without worrying too much. I do kind of see what Anthony Davidson meant when said a month or so ago that the safety can breed reckless driving. Just look at Potato Maldonado and Grosjean last year (though they have cleaned up their act this year).

Agree'd with Tariq on tyres though- I'd love for Paul Hembery to f*ck off though, he's a right bellend.

Sp00n their will probably be more reliability issues next year- though with Webber being gone, who knows who's going to end up with them all every race :lol:

• AF-UK Founding Member

Doesn't need to be made more dangerous. The regulations just need to suit close racing. At the moment they do not. There are plenty of series that get it right due to correctly setting out the technical regulations.

The best thing F1 can do over the last 15 years or so is to have a major regulation change. Look at 2005, 2007 and 2009. 2014 will be another to add to the list imo.

• Supporters

I'm still not convinced that he was a better choice than D'Ambrosio but we'll see- then again, neither are hugely likely to score many/any points anyway. Shame that it looks as though Mr Potato head will be there full time next year, would be nice to see Perez get the place last minute though.

• Supporters

Hopefully the Hulk will get the drive. He's been genuinely impressive at times. Don't see anything in Perez or Maldonado.

Rather amusing with the heli in P1 today..

More like frustrating :D Got fed up of that, and the fog.

I think everyone wants Nico to get the Lotus seat but it pretty much all depends on the Quantum deal which has dragged on so long now that I wouldn't be hugely surprised if they don't go ahead with it.

yeah, 8th today is quite impressive considering It's his second day in a competitive car, and hasn't actually driven the US track before.

• Supporters

yeah, 8th today is quite impressive considering It's his second day in a competitive car, and hasn't actually driven the US track before.

He was driving for caterham last year so would have done the Austin grand prix then

Archived