Armbands

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have noticed that its very difficult to see blue armbands on camo and when I saw Airsoft Ed say the same on his Cerberus review, I thought Id post this.

What colours do you find work well ?

Do you think they should be worn on both arms .

Have always found that bright yellow and red/orange usually work best and I do believe wearing them on both arms can help reduce Friendly fire incidents.

When I play at RIFT they put armbands on opposing arms, so red team wear red bands on their left arm and blue team wear theirs on the right arm, but I find this is difficult to assimilate in a hurry.

So you see a player side on and he is without an armband, so you have to think, must have an armband on the side away from me, so he must be a....

blue..

shoot him.

• Supporters

When I play at RIFT they put armbands on opposing arms, so red team wear red bands on their left arm and blue team wear theirs on the right arm, but I find this is difficult to assimilate in a hurry.

So you see a player side on and he is without an armband, so you have to think, must have an armband on the side away from me, so he must be a....

blue..

shoot him.

That's a very nice idea!

blue..

shoot him.

My local site do the same. Different arm for Red/Yellow. You just need to remember which side your colour is on and shoot anything else :)

• Supporters

UCAP Sandpit run yellow and orange neoprene with Velcro armbands, when hit the medic swaps it from left to the right, when hit a second time you have to reset back at respawn.

I like their system but I like the idea of having armbands on both arms.

I also know a site that don't use any differentiating markers at all which turns some games into a total mess.

Hah. My local does not even run arm bands.During MILSIMS factions are denoted by head gear,for example,last one I was at Rebels had bandanas or shemaghs with commanders having berets while NATO had boonies and commanders had baseball caps.

Anyone with a ghillie basically got the advantage of being hard to identify.

On skirmishes it's a clusterfuck. No ID what so ever so you have to rely on communication and memory really.

No FF problems though. Lots of people have comms so they can relay positions to prevent FF.

• Supporters

Both arms would be better for ID of friendlies as well as the opposition yeah. Something else which would help is banning people from sticking an armband on their vest so it makes a smaller coloured blob which can be seen from less angles than when it is actually on an arm.

I've never seen a blue armband as such, but I'd guess it depends on the shade. Bright azure blue tape is definitely just as visible as any other pre-school decor stylee colour.

I like the medic idea, but maybe it would be better if everyone carries a white armband and we have to tell the medic where it is for them to put it on our arm, so it could be used with the 2 coloured armbands also.

• Supporters

Nah I doubt dark blue would be visible enough. Mind you I've been thinking that sites should go for UN blue with helmets and flack jackets for marshals. Seems to me one of the selling points for airsoft is realism, the high vis vests just don't do it for me. I know why they do it but UN observer blue would be good.

How about a band on each shoulder like rank slides?

been thinking of getting some velcro on the arm of my jacket to make the darn thing stay in place.. as it is now I usually run it under a pocket flap.

oh and one team using blue seems a bit unfair. at TWA its orange and yellow.. thou its so dark indoors and intense games that you generally tend to judge by where the person is rather than what colour is on their armband (which sadly sometimes leads to people who progressed far taking friendly fire)

what if a site had two quite standard camo overalls.. like dpm and fleckard. some people would hate it, but if they had one that fit I'd go for it. plus you could always bring your own dpm/fleckard.

Most of the sites I play at don't bother with armbands unless there's a load of people or its like a downed pilot game.

I personally dislike arm bands as it makes it feel paintbally its harder to hide and unrealistic.

What does work well is camo vs plain or tan vs green however that can be complicated by people mixing colours and hire guns not seeing the difference (happens a lot when we play this)

To me this seems like the best way of doing things

• Supporters

I like the idea of teams playing in different camo, most airsofters have multiple sets, I've now got DPM, DDPM and working on MTP. This is a main tactic for milsim but I don't see why it couldn't be applied fairly easily to any normal skirmish day.

I think if I was running games I'd first sort people into main colours, mostly tan/MTP/desert kit vs mostly darker green/woodland, then put people in black on whichever team is short. This would be kit predominantly, ignoring rigs etc as they are expensive and even if I had 2 I wouldn't bring both. If you needed maybe ask regulars to turn up in one set but bring the other. I do most of the time anyway just incase. If you are really desperate having a few spare sets knocking around, like rental kit or some tape for emergencies.

Some sites even ask people to book in advance, again I wouldn't mind booking in advance and picking a side.

I think if there was a rough greenish vs tanish game you could do away with armbands/tape.

Failing that we used something called a brassard in cadets, I couldn't see why there couldn't be woodland vs desert, they shouldn't be too expensive to buy or make even, everyone gets 2 one for each shoulder. Attaching them to the top of the arm would be the challenge, but a bit of string/paracord could work.

a273_35.JPG

not necessarily like all things it depends on the day.

Like NickM said it wouldn't be hard to get people to pre book tan or green etc

also most sites have overalls for rentals

• Supporters

Yeah, DPM overalls.

lane end has a mix.. depending on what people are wearing they even do digital vs others but that does require people knowing what a digital pattern is which sounds easy but is surprisingly quite a challenge

exactly, if they also had ddpm, green ddpm* or fleckard and it was for everyone unless you already have the specific one. hey, its just an idea to be played with:)

*http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z111/_M4zi/Britit/over-dyed-ddpm-ubacs.jpg

I think having specific patterns should only be for milsim but tan vs green isn't hard

or what my site usually do is just say, remember who is in your team and communicate, its not hard

• Supporters

I know personally I'd be pretty opposed to having to put on a set of DPM overalls that had been worn by hundreds of other people and (probably) not washed all that fastidiously, I expect many others would be the same!

Arm bands are a pain in the bum for sure, but they're a simple workable solution that even the newest player can get his/her head round instantly.

If it's any consolation my local site use white disposable carrier bags as team identifiers, one team wears them the other doesn't...

Archived