Whats the worst experience with 'Cod Softers'

Lord_Metile

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just keep an eye on the news, 'cos if anyone ever asks me if my L85 is a Battlerifle from Halo, the entire world is going to know about it...

its been added to my "things to do before I die"-list

• Supporters

its been added to my "things to do before I die"-list

Best put it at the end of that list...

So what's your beef, that their parents can afford to buy them £2,000 PTWs? If so, dry your eyes and move on, there's always someone with more money/better car/fitter wife.

Be happy with what you've got and plan for what you want to get, ignore those who have greater means, theirs or those they're borrowing from others.

i agree with you that there's always people in life that will have things better than you.

the majority of the time these kids that use daddy's money like the rag they keep under their bed are not even worth bothering with. like its been said they usually (not all of them mind you) use these guns as an extension of their winky doodles and seem to think having a top system makes them big man on campus.

best bet is like its been said play how you feel, learn to use what you've got and it wont bother you.

i learnt very quickly that it seems the more people spend on their guns the more time they spend worrying over that rather than the game!

• 2 weeks later...

Worst I've had with a codsofter was when his wee kid (probably about 12) came up to me and asked me what gun I was using.

*enter codsofter*

CS: hey, uh, what gun are you using?

Me: This? It's my CYMA MP5K. I got it fo---

CS:*butting in* THAT'S NOT AN MP5K!

Me: You what?

CS: The MP5K doesn't have a single vertical foregrip built in!

< The model that I assume that he was on about: http://images.wikia.com/callofduty/images/archive/6/65/20120120043427!MP5K_menu_icon.png >

Me: *getting increasingly angry* It CLEARLY does.

CS: DUDE! I use the MP5K in Modern Warfare and---

Me: *cutting him off* So, what you are saying is that because you play Call of Duty, you are a weapons expert?

CS: That's not what I said

Me: you heavily implied it

CS: Anyway, I don't really care. I just wanted to know where you got your Kipras

< COD sprite for the above gun: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120106122608/callofduty/images/5/59/ELITE_Kiparis.png >

On a sidenote, MY MP5K LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THAT FOOPING GUN!

• Supporters

Agreed, there's a definite undercurrent of elitism on here and on every airsoft forum really about so called CoD softers. They're just kids who get a bit excited about getting to hold guns and shoot at people. Only time it should ever be a problem is when they cheat, e.g. "I'm on last stand" etc.

Really though, get over yourselves guys, you run about in the woods dressed like a soldier and shoot people with a BB gun. So do CoD softers, they just get excited about it for a different reason.

Nail. Head. End of thread.

My son who was 13 at the time recieved a bright orange l96 rifle complete with scope/bipod for xmas, it was just because he wanted to shoot targets in our back garden. Which turned out to be really fun, at the time I never heard of airsofting and I'm not sure he did, but after researching about his gun and a few others we found a site close to us and i took him for his bday. Both of us loved it, we did use his rifle i think for one game but realised it wasnt as fun as using the sites aeg's also it drew a few under the breath comments and snickers from the sites regulars so we left that in the car for the rest of the day. We were both buzzing after the day had finished. Needless to say 9 months later we attend that site once a month, i bought us decent weapons and army surplus kit to use, and I take a couple of his school mates with us, theres usually quite few kids on site some regulars and some that are just there for a bday or something. I do hear cod/bf3 mw2 mentioned a lot but thats just kids having fun. My point after all this is let the kids and there dads enjoy the day the way they want too, I'm forever helping some kid reload bb's or get dirt out of his muzzle or just generally pointing them in the right direction. This snobery I see onsight from the regulars/members towards some kids/ppl because they got cheap sh1t equipment and no clue how to use it annoys me, cast your minds back to when you first started and think how it was. I love it when i hear kids all buzzing about something they did or saw ingame, by the way that bright orange sniper rifle is now fully upgraded and shooting regular at 480-495fps with a matte olive colour paint job, it looks the part and shoots the part.

Ho thank god :)

Thanks for this post mate.

I'm in the process of mirroring this exact post. My son goes paintballing (He's been a few times now) and saw people going to a different part of the site setting up to play Airsoft......he's been obsessed ever since, so much so he got me into it.

In December I will be attending my first Skirmish & although everyone i've spoken to face to face seems very friendly & welcoming people to the hobby, the basic comments about noobs on forums seems be almost the opposite.

I'm now looking for a site that allows kids as young as 11 but I really do worry about how we will be received if we dont talk the talk etc. We will go & see what this is all about but threads like this makes you think twice.

• Supporters

Yeah Fumps, I wouldn't worry too much. You already know what people are like: as members of a particular group we have ways of bigging up our chests at the expense of 'them', some undefined other whom are not 'us'. At the moment you naturally feel like we are 'them' because we have a common jargon, shorthand, and experiences similar enough that a full explanation isn't necessary, all of which you are yet to learn. But obviously you don't feel like one of the nebulous 'them' whom our inclusiveness and camradery exclude... so it wrankles, because, shit, you're here: that has got to count, right?

We could be football supporters, ballet dancers, traffic wardens, real special forces operators... no doubt you belong to several of this type of group yourself - you know what it's like: you don't have any specific animosity towards 'them' as individual people, in fact you'd probably be happy to tell them all about it and welcome them 'in'.

Now that's not to say that there aren't some of us whom, for whatever reason, suffer from a degree of insecurity which manifests as a strong desire to belong to a well defined group, to create strong bonds within the group, etc., but usually all in a dysfunctional unconscious way, which is the usual clique modus operandi. Still, you'll find people like that all over...

On behalf of airsoft as I understand it, welcome :)

cheers for the encouragement fella.

I'm pretty thick skinned so not too bothered myself. I just thought I'd pop my opinion to this thread as yet I have very little to add to most stuff as I dont have the experience & knowledge you guys have.

I just wanted to show how it looks from an outsider looking in ;)

If that makes any sense

I'm pretty thick skinned so not too bothered myself. I just thought I'd pop my opinion to this thread as yet I have very little to add to most stuff as I dont have the experience & knowledge you guys have.

If that makes any sense

my first time going i felt very "outside" everyone in their groups and what not. i quickly broke that and pretty much talked to everyone i could asking about their guns and what acronyms meant etc. then i joined here and have had numerous people help me along the way. i think the post that mentioned elitism is very true but i think you get that in any walk of life.

personally aisoft is a day just for me away from everything day to day, while i do get annoyed with cheaters from time to time (and like i say that happens in many walks of life) i usually just get on with it and let others do the same.

having youngsters going in my eyes is a good thing but when they are left to their own devices from my view some decide that's when they can either be cocky little turds and get a bit to up themselves or they take the opportunity to do what i did and learn from others around them but then that's down to the people at the site as well if you get jumped up ego warriors then the people that look up to them will inevitably become the same thing (not always true for everyone mind you)

welcome fumps hope you enjoy your first skirmish as much as i did and look forward to reading what you liked, didn't like and what you have planned after your first game :)

If that makes any sense

Makes sense to me fella (minus the kid as I dont think my 3 year old is quite ready yet although she does love to play with daddy's 'plinking' SA80).

Im waiting for the weather to get a bit better before my first skirmish and my only other experience is a days paintballing with work, laser quest and being in the air cadets. Cant understand all the snobbery to be honest. surely, if a newbie turns up and acts like a d!ck then they get shot to hell. If they dont then cut them some slack

Still, should be a good laugh when I go

Yeh I was going to wait till the new year but I'm an all weather outdoors kind of guy.

I mountain bike all year round & the dogs need walking twice a day no matter what the temperature.....I just hope I dont damage my ears I'm a bass player so would be buggered if I damage my hearing.

Maybe a Mich helmet with ear plugs should sort this.....no that means I wont be able to tell who is shooting at me....life is too complicated lol

• Supporters

Sordin or Comtac replica headset by Z-Tactical for hearing protection and still be able to hear what you need. Can't vouch for them myself as I've yet to take the plunge, but at £60-ish they beat the pants off the real deal at £200-odd.

James, you have/had both right?

Also: Goretex is your friend and the issue Remploy DPM kecks are always coming up on fleabay, approx £15 but sometimes cheaper. You don't need the jacket as running around will keep you warm enough, but soggy kecks always puts a downer on the situation. Best to add belt loops to them IMO - see the current DIY thread for pic.

Cheers mate will look into them

I have pretty much got a full loadout now, I often go to my local suplus store the last time I went I just had the excuse to buy the stuff i've always wanted to buy lol

• Supporters

Yeh I was going to wait till the new year but I'm an all weather outdoors kind of guy.

I mountain bike all year round & the dogs need walking twice a day no matter what the temperature.....I just hope I dont damage my ears I'm a bass player so would be buggered if I damage my hearing.

Maybe a Mich helmet with ear plugs should sort this.....no that means I wont be able to tell who is shooting at me....life is too complicated lol

How about a pair of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Impact-Sport-Electronic-Earmuff-Folding/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZDKWC1MT561G&coliid=I1MVRFRHGMLWQJ they'll cut out the big bangs but you'll still hear speech as if you weren't wearing earmuffs!

• Supporters

@Loz: yeah Sordins/Comtac I/II do the same but with added radio comms.

@Fumps: I'll got a complete MK IV NBC suit, overboots, respirator, gloves, decon-kit, the works lol! Why? Because I wanted one and airsoft is a good excuse :)

• Supporters

Sordin or Comtac replica headset by Z-Tactical for hearing protection and still be able to hear what you need. Can't vouch for them myself as I've yet to take the plunge, but at £60-ish they beat the pants off the real deal at £200-odd.

James, you have/had both right?

as hearing protection I can't recommend the z-tactical sordins, dunno about their comtac replicas but the sordin model is just a moulded PVC earpiece shape with a (really quite uncomfortble) pad round the edge and a couple of circuit boards inside. They do certainly dull your hearing when you wear them but since there's no actual insulation I'd say they're a no go for anything other than looks. That and the sound reproduction from the in built microphones isn't very good.

Saying that though, for real shooting I don't wear real sordins either (who needs comms on a range?), I tend to wear yellow foam ear plugs and a set of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peltor-H64FB-Shotgunner-Ear-Defenders-BNIB-Army-Issue-/350928524757?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item51b4f855d5

If you're looking to really protect your hearing that is absolutely the way forward. Unfortunately it does make you quite deaf which will effect your situational awareness while playing.

• Supporters

How about a pair of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Impact-Sport-Electronic-Earmuff-Folding/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZDKWC1MT561G&coliid=I1MVRFRHGMLWQJ they'll cut out the big bangs but you'll still hear speech as if you weren't wearing earmuffs!

For the price those are a pretty good deal based on the reviews, I can't stress enough that china clones don't actually provide any tangible protection!

• Supporters

Oh well, it was a nice idea while it lasted :lol:

What do you reckon to the sound attenuation of the Comtacs, Mack?

As a sound engineer I can swear to the sound absorbing properties of Rockwool loft insulation, so a bodge is possible, but you'd want to make sure that it was well sealed because the 2nd to last place you'd want that stuff is in your ears! But if the sound reproduction isn't worth the effort, fuck it...

Well this thread is well & truly derailed :)

So about my ears:

I was thinking to stop any impact would be to use a MICH helmet (Flared sides), THen use these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elacin-ER20S-musicians-hearing-protection/dp/B0034ZI9AQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1384873778&sr=8-7&keywords=ear+protection

That I use when I do gigs (Used to be in a thrash metal band) but not sure if they would hold their own if i cop a pyro in the lug.

then cover my ears in either a Buff or use a balaclava.....does this make any sense ?

@Ian Gere. yes mate, I use Johnson's of Leeds to get all my camping & festival set up from them, now I can buy camo legitimately (the best purchase was of a Army Issue Poncho for Glastonbury, It hammered it down & I didn't feel a thing, I could still drink & smoke under there, at one point my mrs got under it with me lol)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.