Should There Be a National Cheat Register

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It seems to me that each site deals with cheats in its own way and persistent cheats are threatened with being sent home or banned, but whats to stop rovers.

You could go to a different site each week and cause trouble or cheat until your mags fall off.

Should there be a circulated cheat register between sites ?

it would be possible to do with even with people going to different sites something like a black list that’s confident between sites but it would mean that rival sites would have to work together the black list would consist with people that are repeat offenders e.g. I play at close action and every new player has a player number even if they are not a member of the site and every time I play there I’m logged down as the same number we are then given tags with the team that we are on and it would be easy just to put our numbers on there and when marshals catch cheaters they log the number down with what they have done they then enter it on there system for the site to keep an eye on them every time they play and if seen to be repeat offenders they log the details on a system that other sites can see and as most sites you have to book in to they can see by the names on the database if they need to keep and know weather to watch people or not.

• Supporters

I'm gonna go with no, for a start the moment you start sharing personal information between different sites you're entering a data protection minefield.

as well as the potential for abuse with people getting labelled cheats when they're not because of a bad call by a site owner.

shit idea.

• Supporters

Its a great sounding idea but reality is it would be far too open for abuse. Would be very easy if you have a falling out with a site owner for you to be black listed. Much easier if sites are just very good with their own system. I know one that uses a simple yellow and red card system, but it isn't applied consistently. Another players have numbered tags and if your number comes up repeatedly the head marshal will come find you and give you a stern talking to.

Some sites are worse than others. But in my experience sites get a reputation if they don't deal with things effectively. I know one company that did have 40 or 50 a game day, after issues with cheating and other bits and bobs most of the regulars have gone elsewhere so they are getting almost a quarter of their previous numbers.

Other sites that are well marshalled cheating is almost non existent to the point where outstanding honesty rules. I had a guy in my sights ( no more than 3 m away), I pulled the trigger but the mag had jammed and nothing cam out the barrel. He turned around, he was moving light so no gun, "I'll take that buddy, you might want to check that mag though, nice work.". Its not the norm in my experience but that's why I will happily drive a distance and pay more for a known great game day.

I could see court cases arising from a national 'Blacklist' unless it was vary well regulated and organised.

There would have to be set criteria for being put on it and an appeals procedure.

If there were to be appeals then those hearing them would need to be independant.

For it to be fair all the sites subscribing would need to be using the same set of rules.

Who would administer it and who would pay for it?

if anyone is repeatedly banned from sites for cheating then they should learn to wise up and bog off to another sport or play fair and apologise. if ya cant win honestly at this sport there's no point. last week i had an awesome day of gaming, my tactics and positioning worked well and even my stealth managed to net me 2 knife kills(my first) yet this week every time i went round a corner it seemed a bb was waiting for me. cheating to win i would still have lost as i would know. as long as each site deals correctly with cheats then there shouldn't be a problem. better thing would be some form of improved way to report cheating to the marshals, and some way to teach marshals to deal better with cheats. (our chief marshal if he suspects someone of not taking hits watches them with his scope and when they dont take hits starts shooting them. then when they dont take those banns. im sure there are other many ways but they should share their methods and ideas for dealing with cheats. maby even in stead of cheats share those who they find are overly dangerous(full auto constantly at short range so other sites marshals know to keep a close eye etc.... in other words something like a forum for site marshals?

Nope silly idea .as already said , a couple of bad calls by a mashall or other well liked players on site, sets up a lot of crap comin ur way. included in that are people who don,t know how far there BB travels,

if anyone is repeatedly banned from sites for cheating then they should learn to wise up and bog off to another sport or play fair and apologise. if ya cant win honestly at this sport there's no point. last week i had an awesome day of gaming, my tactics and positioning worked well and even my stealth managed to net me 2 knife kills(my first) yet this week every time i went round a corner it seemed a bb was waiting for me. cheating to win i would still have lost as i would know. as long as each site deals correctly with cheats then there shouldn't be a problem. better thing would be some form of improved way to report cheating to the marshals, and some way to teach marshals to deal better with cheats. (our chief marshal if he suspects someone of not taking hits watches them with his scope and when they dont take hits starts shooting them. then when they dont take those banns. im sure there are other many ways but they should share their methods and ideas for dealing with cheats. maby even in stead of cheats share those who they find are overly dangerous(full auto constantly at short range so other sites marshals know to keep a close eye etc.... in other words something like a forum for site marshals?

Gotta love those honesty shots from Will!

Sorry but as bad as cheating is within our sport this cannot be done fairly or without infringing on various laws regarding disclosure, also you would be totally at the mercy of anyone who would have a bad word to say about a given person, a simple argument or disagreement with someone from a site could end up with false information being put out there, we all know that at sites there are the 'chosen ones' that the rules seem not to apply to anyway, the clicky groups would just have more power to damage anyone they chose to dislike and if you think this wouldn't happen then you're greatly mistaken

I have seen people ostracised and have left the sport through groups and people like that operating within sites

• Supporters

Something I would like to see would be a "National Association of Airsoft Marshals", because I think there are some people doing the job who really need the help that the collected experience said could provide. I expect that egregious behaviour by particular individuals would soon get around the private forum of a NAAM and I think it's much harder to damage someone's reputation unfairly when the only way to do it is by describing their behaviour, than it is to just call them a cheat and leave it at that.

I don't believe that a single player cheating is as bad a thing as it feels sometimes. I mean if some bellend blatantly refuses to take a hit which they have clearly felt and/or heard, then it's annoying - but we can always complain to a marshal. So long as we don't spit our dummies out, it wont ruin the whole day. It's when site regulars do it with complicity/turning a blind eye from marshals that it will spoil the day, because rather than just ignoring a bellend, it could feel as if the whole place is against you. In this latter case a cheat register wouldn't help anyway.

Like others have said, it's a bloody brilliant idea in our heads, but in reality, largely impractical and would be capable of having honest players wrongly punished.

Besides, what's wrong with giving your entire team and the marshalls their location and hunting them down like dogs?!

• Supporters

Like dogs? How about with dogs? :lol:

Something I would like to see would be a "National Association of Airsoft Marshals", because I think there are some people doing the job who really need the help that the collected experience said could provide. I expect that egregious behaviour by particular individuals would soon get around the private forum of a NAAM and I think it's much harder to damage someone's reputation unfairly when the only way to do it is by describing their behaviour, than it is to just call them a cheat and leave it at that.

I don't believe that a single player cheating is as bad a thing as it feels sometimes. I mean if some bellend blatantly refuses to take a hit which they have clearly felt and/or heard, then it's annoying - but we can always complain to a marshal. So long as we don't spit our dummies out, it wont ruin the whole day. It's when site regulars do it with complicity/turning a blind eye from marshals that it will spoil the day, because rather than just ignoring a bellend, it could feel as if the whole place is against you. In this latter case a cheat register wouldn't help anyway.

i do agree with the idea of a National Association of Airsoft Marshals would be good to see as some of us if not all of us have more than likely seen a marshal making wrong calls and branding people cheats i for one have seen one person kicked off site for the fact the marshal did not like the person (this was not close action btw was another site cant rember witch one was that long ago)

Well I gues it depends of how you think of airsoft. Is it a Hobby / Play time, or is it a Sport ?

Personaly i think of it more as a playful hobby than an actural sport... But i also know that alot of people think of it as a sport, and some places have contests etc.

So it you should treat it like a sport then yes "Instruction courses", "Player registers", hey why the hell not go for "Anti doping control" also.... ( I Know i sounds like I'm out of my mind )

But lust like any other sport (football) before getting into all these crasy ideas, maby we should instead start to define different leags.

Step 1. Standart rules. (They are not that different from site to site anyways)

Step 2. Define "scoring system" - How do you win..

Step 3. Player registration..

Only after thease steps does it make any sense to try making "Cheat Registers" etc...

Step 4. (Perhaps this should be step 1) Get more players!

A sport is not realy a sport before it get's accepted as a sport... And nothing gets accepted ad a sport if it has to few regular players....

So to sum op. NO I Don't thing "Cheat Registers" is a good idea.

First you would need clear rules for what is cheating, and then you should have the option to play in different leags ( Personaly i would go play in the "Just for fun" leage ) so that you have places to pratice. And before all thease things make sense airsoft will need alot more players....

So good idea on paper, not "practical" for play ...

I agree, to bring in a National Cheat register the game would have to ba more formal.

A set of standard rules would be needed.

Sites would need to be registered and certified as complying with the rules.

Accreditiation for Marshalls would be needed.

A National body would need to be set up to administer and enforce things.

There could be advantages though, Airsofting would be on a more serious footing and could claim to ab a Sport.

It might open the way for grant funding to improve and support sites.

Cheaper insurance deals could be negotiated via the national body etc.

Is that the way players would want Airsofting to go?

I suppose it wouldn't stop sites staying independant if the ywanted to.

CaptainSwoop: Excatly my point :-)

Personaly I play for the fun, not for the sport. So I would say no, don't try to make it into anything more than a hobby sport ...

But at the same time i will also say: If someone wants to play it at a "higher level" the go for it! Take the points in this thread and start creating standart rules and start talking to all the gaming sights and try to get everyone to agree on "how the rules should be" ...

But, don't start making cheat registers before you have standart rules and regulations :-)

Archived