Tracer or Silencer ?

ChrisCoo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am debating weather to buy a tracer or Silencer! The tracer is cool when you can see your pellets and helps you see your hits but it give your position way to easy. With a Silencer it keeps your position secret but does it acculy take any noise away from the gun? As most of the nice comes from the inside of the gun. And if a Silencer which make and kind?

Any advice would be grateful

Many thanks ChrisCoo

Hi Chris

All my rifles are suppressed, but its more to do with the fact that I hate RIF sounding like demented sewing machines.

The suppressors at least cosmetically make them sound more realistic on semi auto, but in reality I dont think they suppress anything.

Do Airsoft tracers work in daylight ? I just use white BBs or if you want mix black with the occasional white BB. This will make it harder to see your position.

You can always remove a tracer unit. The nly real use of a silencer is to extend your inner barrel.

I'd go for a tracer, they actually have a purpose. If you want a longer inner barrel just buy a longer out barrel.

Also you can turn off a tracer unit. Then it literally just looks like a silencer

i can actually tell where certain players are in game as only a few use silencers and i can recognise the difference in sound. handy if i remember they arnt in my team..... personally i dont like either option....

Thanks. If i get a tracer do i always need tracer pellets? Will white pellets work in a tracer as well?

Well, it's up to you. They both look good, and you can see your BB's with the tracer, but then again your position is given away as you said. Remember, as other's have said, tracers are more, and then the special bb's are more expensive too. Your choice buddy :)

Yes, tracers are more expensive bit they are more useful than a silencer. Again the BB's are more expensive but that is such a small difference it's not really a huge impact. Normal BBs won't work with a tracer

• Supporters

I am debating weather to buy a tracer or Silencer! The tracer is cool when you can see your pellets and helps you see your hits but it give your position way to easy. With a Silencer it keeps your position secret but does it acculy take any noise away from the gun? As most of the nice comes from the inside of the gun. And if a Silencer which make and kind?

Any advice would be grateful

Many thanks ChrisCoo

An airsoft suppressor acts like a graphic equaliser or tone control on a stereo to reduce the upper frequency content of that portion of the sound which emerges from the muzzle. As you have identified however, most of the sound an AEG makes emerges directly through the receiver. As a matter of psychoacoustics it is more difficult for us to locate lower frequencies than upper, because the longer wavelengths are greater than the distance between our ears, whereas the direction of upper frequencies can be readily identified, even within complicated (acoustically) environments. In practice suppressors make no useful difference whatsoever in airsoft.

If you just want to put something cool looking on the front of your AEG then, as has been said, a tracer unit does at least do something as well. If you want to make an AEG quieter, there are 'silent' piston head and cylinder head sets which absorb more of the shock than ordinarily, or you could add sorbothane pads inside the cylinder to do the same thing. Another approach is Lees Precision Engineering Airbrake piston head, which create a cushion of even more compressed air in the last millimetres of the firing piston's travel, which also reduces shock.

I would rather have one of the sound amplifier types that make the AEG sound more like a real gun.

I just have a "suppressed" GBBR.

Suppose it's about right for a suppressed rifle noise level wise as the airsoft silencers do F-All considering all the noise is from the bolt / gearbox...

Archived